Hit a Deer.....

Gerritt

Well last night I hit a doe... No damage to my truck (thank god for Fords metal bumper) other them a bit of fur... nothing wrong to the truck..

it was a decent sized doe, feeding @ an apple tree that is right beside the road :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: (Low ditch where the apples collect when they fall..)Hence the deer collect here...

What are the rules when it comes to this? I do not have a hunting license.. but I do enjoy venison.

I was unsure what to do.. and had no room in the back of my pickup, given the hard one piece tonneau cover, and it being rammed with tools.

I did stop, inspected my truck, and made sure the doe was not suffering.

Nor do I know how to properly dress a deer...

So I was at a loss....

This morning the deer was gone... I assume someone has filled their freezer...

What should I have done in this case? knowing that I love a good feed of venison... would the meat even of been any good?

Thanks,

G.

With the cool temps these past days,the deer would of been fine til the AM. If you hit a deer and report it right away,it is yours.Just have to wait for the Local police or OPP to show up.

I hear ya tho bro on the hard chrome bumpers. :thumbsup_anim:

Dang,if you only lived closer. :good:

Edited by Misfish

Might have been some bruising at point of impact but most of the meat would have been fine. At one time, if you hit an animal, you could claim it and take it home but I don't know if laws have changed lately. Best thing would have been to call police and report it, they'd likely tell you to take it with you anyway. Saves calling a cleanup crew. Dress a deer same as a rabbit, just on a larger scale.

Like Bob said. You likely would have had to toss some of the meat, depending on what part of the deer you hit. But you would still be able to get a pile of meat from her.

Glad to hear you didn't cause any damage to the truck.

Legally to claim it, you must call the MNR, report a deer strike, they will send you a letter that gives you authority to possess the road kill.(Sort of like a tag). At the same time call the local police, they will or should give you a file number for reporting it that will give proof of an accident should the MNR question it. I've done it a number of times.

Then comes the 10 minute job of dressing it, finding a safe place to hang it, slice, dice, bag and tag it for the freezer. I'm sure one of the "neighbouring" OFNers would give you a hand for a burger or two.

Edited by Fisherman

Legally to claim it, you must call the MNR

Not true. Man I hate this part.Hate to argue a point with a friend. Today you need to call the locals or OPP. We had one hit here on Essa rd. The local cop shot it(after it was hit by a car),and a passer by took it,with the cops permission and the person that hit it.

Edited by Misfish

Yes..

Around here, report it and it's yours:) Had 2 men show up at my door one night, just hit one.(A neighbor told them to come see me)

I was licensed at the time and put her out of her misery and field dressed her for them...Had a good laugh at 2 big men gagging too LOL!!!!!!!!!!! :rofl2:

Grab your knife, knock the backstraps out of it and leave.

When I'm running 17 north I carry an axe and a knife with me just in case a semi hits a moose.

That right there is the difference between northern and southern Ontario.

Can you imagine some A-type yuppie speeding down the QEW with an axe and a knife in the back seat of his beemer just in case he comes across a dead moose?

:lol:

Around here some of the police know the wifes cousin really well (yes he is a good guy just friends of the police) they know that Dennis will come out and take care of the road kill he has got many deer that way. My favorite one was when he saw a car hit a deer he pulled over right away but so did a cop she was just young and new to the force. He explained to her what he would do with the deer and he would put it out of its pain before he sliced it up (my words) but she insisted that she shoot it after getting the shakes from her hand she finally killed the thing I guess she just wanted to shoot something and that was a good place to start. I wonder what the others of her police force called her when she filed the report for firing her gun???

Not true. Man I hate this part.Hate to argue a point with a friend. Today you need to call the locals or OPP. We had one hit here on Essa rd. The local cop shot it(after it was hit by a car),and a passer by took it,with the cops permission and the person that hit it.

From the Ontario MNR website:

What To Do With Road Kill

If You Accidentally Hit Wildlife on the Road

Every person who acquires the carcass of a black bear, woodland caribou, white-tailed deer, American elk, or moose SHALL report the acquisition immediately to the nearest MNR office.

Can you imagine some A-type yuppie speeding down the QEW with an axe and a knife in the back seat of his beemer just in case he comes across a dead moose?

Haha too funny. If a suit in a Bimmer got caught with an axe in his car, he'd better have a good explanation and several credible witnesses on stand by.

Up here, especially in the fall, fresh roadkill does not last long. Often you'll see a lineup of guys in Mattawa tuxedos (orange gear) waiting for the cops to clear the carcass.

I once called my bro to a fresh scene and he got himself a few nice flanks. FREE MEAT! By the way he is from Mattawa hahaha

Edited by Rod Caster

You think thats funny?

How bout this.

The other day, a guy I work with walks into the office carrying a gold plated 45 cal lever action rifle...not in a case.

He walks through the main office and into my office and holds it up and says...hey...like my new gun.

I look up and say...wow, that ever pretty.

A couple days later I have my 270 bolt on my desk messing with setting up the scope with one of the supervisors.

This is pretty standard stuff around here.

Try doing that downtown big smoke :o

You think thats funny?

How bout this.

The other day, a guy I work with walks into the office carrying a gold plated 45 cal lever action rifle...not in a case.

He walks through the main office and into my office and holds it up and says...hey...like my new gun.

A couple days later I have my 270 bolt on my desk messing with setting up the scope with one of the supervisors.

Sounds like an episode of The Office. (redneck northern version :) )

Also a place I'd like to work. :D

Down this way swat would be called LOL!

You think thats funny?

How bout this.

Not only would I be in the slammer, but half my office would be off on Stress leave.