My Dreams

asdve23rveavwa

We waited quite a few months for our summer camping/fishing getaway, after initially booking in February, but, the moment to hit the road north finally arrived Friday August 26th.

Last year we took the boys up to Restoule, and, we all had a good time. After sitting down as a family to decide on this year’s trip, the consensus was we were ready for a longer journey. After some internet searching, and, a few conversations/pm’s with some OFC members, we decided on Windermere Lake in the Chapleau area.

Our journey north was split in two with a stop in Sudbury Friday night. The return trip was a straight trip home with stops for food and stretches. Both trips went well with mimimal bickering, and, no mechanical problems of any kind. Personally, I loved the drive north up Highway 129, which included one of the highlights of our drive...rounding a corner, and, seeing a black bear right on the road in front of us.

IMG_1767.jpg

The drive north always awakens my spirit. The majesty of the rocks, trees and hills is a great thing to behold. I hope the sight never loses the ability to make me lean back my head, take a deep breath, and, smile over the beauty of our province.

IMG_1797.jpg

IMG_1815.jpg

We arrived at our destination mid-afternoon on the Saturday. Juli and I proceeded to set-up camp, while, the boys went to explore. Didn’t take them long to meet the camp owner’s son Dylan. All four of them are almost the same age, and, they hit it off instantly. They spent alot of time hanging out together over the next week...when Dylan wasn’t busy doing chores. I was truly impressed with this young lad, who at the age of 12 takes on much responsibility around camp.

IMG_2650.jpg

Much as I was itching to get out on the water, my first trip out would wait until Sunday morning. We did, however, get in our first campfire of the year...another moment that never fails to get my juices flowing. Growing up our family had a pop-up trailer for many years, and, campfires were always one of my favourite times with family and friends. We were lucky, or maybe blessed, this trip as weather cooperated enough to allow us a campfire every night.

Ceagan making his first ever campfire on his own

DSCN0756.jpg

I awoke early Sunday morning ready to venture forth solo for my first “taste” of the waters of Windermere. Mother Nature had other ideas. The fog was so thick that even veterans of the lake, the majority of the people at camp are return visitors each year, did not venture forth. I decided to make coffee, and, wait it out. Tough moment at first, until I took a step back, and, realised where I was and that I had almost a whole week ahead of me to enjoy the beauty of the northland.

IMG_1836.jpg

IMG_1847.jpg

Think it was around 9:30 before the fog, make that THE FOG, lifted enough to finally let all of us fishermen and women safely get out and fish. Fortunately this was the only morning that this happened, the other five were picture perfect with that light misty fog rising off the water like steam from a fresh cup of coffee.

First Windermere Fish

IMG_1857.jpg

IMG_1858.jpg

To condense the tale a wee bit, the next four days offered up some beautiful mornings and evenings. We had a five hour spell of rain, Tuesday afternoon. Other than that, gorgeous conditions, with manageable winds. Pretty much all of our fishing during this stretch was within a 15 minute boat ride of camp. We managed to catch a decent amount of small pike and bass while casting shoreline areas, and, near shore drop-offs. Carl the eldest of the “young guns” managed to catch the only walleye...a little guy, but, his first ever ‘eye. Put a huge smile on his face. I did have a map with “known” walleye spots on it, if we wished to venture out further on the long lake, but, we kept plugging away with various techniques.

Various Pics of fish and scenery

IMG_1888.jpg

Carl's first walleye

IMG_1887.jpg

DSCN0765.jpg

DSCN0766.jpg

IMG_1956.jpg

IMG_2093.jpg

IMG_1967.jpg

Insane flying chipmunk!!!!

IMG_2204.jpg

IMG_2156.jpg

IMG_2133.jpg

IMG_2593.jpg

IMG_2586.jpg

DSCN0794.jpg

IMG_2395.jpg

IMG_1998.jpg

Late Wednesday evening in a back bay a bit further from camp I had the hardest hit of the week. I was near the end of a slow lift and flutter retrieve with my jig when it got smashed. Nearly tore the rod out of my hands, and, broke my braid like it was 2 lb mono. Think I just stood there for a moment with my jaw hanging open.

Wednesday evening also brought about a conversation that turned our walleye fortunes around completely. Earlier in the day, while getting fuel for the boat, I had a brief conversation with a gentleman from southern Ohio (never did get his name) about our fortunes on the “new to us” lake. He was a veteran of the waters, and, had been doing well on both bass and walleye throughout the week. That night as we pulled into the dock in the dark, he walked up to me asking if we were heading out early in the morning. I replied “yes, going to try some new areas”. He leaned in close and said “listen, if you want to jig up a few walleye try the area near---------------in about 17 foot of water...early.” I thanked him for the info, and, headed over to the fire pit to start another campfire with a “fire” of my own in my eyes. Much as it is fun finding them on your own, and, we had discovered some decent bass and smallie spots, I wasn’t going to look a gift fish in the mouth.

Juli and I made the run to the area early Thursday morning on our own, the boys still aren’t too keen on early morning trips. I rigged up my black jig and worm, and, dropped it in 17 feet of water. Tick, tick, snap-set! Just like that my first walleye of the trip. I didn’t kiss that one, but, I did put my lips on a couple of the other ones I caught in the next little while. I proceeded to land four in the next five drops. Juli hadn’t landed one yet, and, I noticed she was jigging a bit too much. She slowed things down, and, voila...her first of the trip. We worked that area for the next hour and a half landing 35 walleye between the two of us. Nothing large, but, man we had a ball!!!!! I edged her out for numbers, but, she landed the largest of the golden nuggets. Two were kept for a long awaited “golden battered piece of heaven” supper.

IMG_2607.jpg

DSCN0779.jpg

IMG_2610.jpg

IMG_2500.jpg

DSCN0785.jpg

That afternoon the boys went out paintballing on the large island right near camp. The three of them and Dylan took one of the camps boats over, and, had a blast for a couple hours. Juli and I fished for a bit around the island, while they were having their fun. I did manage one walleye in 22 feet right in the bright sunshine at 2:30 PM. Jig and leech...couple other guys from one of the cabins donated a half dozen leeches to me...produced that walter.

Paintball fun

IMG_2475.jpg

IMG_2472.jpg

After cooking up some burgers for the “camo crew” and fantastic fresh walleye dinner for the “little lady” and I, we headed out to the “pot of gold” again. The evening bite was similar to the morning, fish were spread down the shoreline a bit more. We ended up landing another good amount, all released, and I lost a low 20”er right below the boat. Have to land that baby next year!

DSCN0797.jpg

IMG_2288.jpg

That night we enjoyed our final campfire of the trip, and, planned our strategy for the next morning. After talking it over with the boys, we all decided that we wanted to get home Friday night, so we would be doing the drive in one shot...10 ½ hours + stops for food, stretches, etc. The master plan ended up being, Juli and I out on the lake at 6:30, fish until 8-8:15 at the latest. Head back to the dock, load the boat, take down camp, load the truck, check out, and “hit the road Jack”.

The morning, once again, was beautiful and the ‘eyes, were ready to play. We caught and released another 31 fish in just over an hour and a half. None bigger than 15”, but, fun nonetheless. Probably could have landed 40 if I wouldn’t have been lazy, and, switched out my “not-so-sharp” jig earlier. Great way to end our time on the water, we had smiles as big as a loon’s wingspan as we powered in to the dock.

The next two hours were spent getting ready to roll. Fortunately, the rain held off, and, we hit the road by 11 AM. In between, once again, enjoying the beauty of our province on the drive...everyone talked about how much fun they had. It was already decided that we were returning next year.

IMG_2302.jpg

DSCN0788.jpg

IMG_2648.jpg

FINAL THOUGHTS

For years I’ve wanted to get up in the Chapleau area. To finally fulfill that dream was a great thing for me. To share it with Juli and the boys made it even more special. Sure it wasn’t a fly-in trip, and, yeah there is better fishing to be had, BUT, the overall experience of our trip was priceless. It is always fun fishing new waters, never knowing what lies around that next bend, or if that misty bay is going to “cough up” that big smallmouth or pike.

I definitely hope to get the boys out fishing more next year, they had a blast hanging out, exploring, doing paintball as well as a little fishing, but I would like to see them with a rod in their hands a bit more next year. My feelings are still that a love for fishing evolves, and, I never want to force them to do it.

Also want to say that I had help from a few OFC members planning this trip. All have been sent PM’s of thanks. This board is not only a great community, it is also a great tool that can be tapped into for knowledge and experience.

My dreams, over the next year, will be filled with visions of mist rising from crystal clear waters. The ever haunting cry of the loon. The tail slap of the beaver. The fragrant smell of pine forest. The tap, tap, weight on the line feel of a light hitting walleye.

My dreams............

DSCN0793.jpg

Edited by FRANKIE65

ccmt

Posted Today, 01:20 PM

Fantastic report!!! The scenery is breath taking to say the least. Looked like a perfect family vacation

Thanks, we had a great time. The scenery was amazing!

Rod Caster

Posted Today, 01:23 PM

Great report Frank! I couldn't avert my eyes... those photos are so nice and scenic. My favorite is the close-up of the bright yellow on the walleye. Sounds like you found your camping honey hole!

Thanks for the great compliment. I love that walleye "skin-shot" too.

solopaddler

Posted Today, 01:34 PM

Outstanding Frank! You've got a great looking family bud, glad to see a good time was had.

Thanks Mike, for the compliment, and, your time.

Edited by FRANKIE65

Thanks for the report! Looks like your family had a great time. I've tried to book at Happy Day a few times myself, but never managed to get an opening since it's so popular. It's nice to see some photos and a report of the area.

Not surprised about their son either, as I believe they have another teenage son that practically runs their other camp.

Cheers!

Not surprised about their son either, as I believe they have another teenage son that practically runs their other camp.

Cheers!

He sure does. Bob and Sondra are good people, and, they instill an admirable work ethic in their children.

Busy people, but, I did have a couple great one-on-one conversations with Bob about the fishery, the conservation regs they are promoting, and the area in general.

I flip-flopped on writing this report at first, but, with the amount of repeat business they have...and, the fact that they are the only operators on the lake, I decided to go ahead and post.

Frank, thanks for sharing your experience with us. Super that your sons had Dylan in camp to show them around.

Ethan is running the neighboring camp, Prairie Bee. Prairie Bee is an OFC advertiser.

I've been in touch with Ethan for quite a while by internet and had an enjoyable (1 hour and 30 minute) phone conversation with Bob back around February. The Zimmermans are an outstanding family and it appears that yours is of the same mold.

I haven't fished the Chapleau area since 1970, but expect to hit both Prairie Bee and Windermere within the next couple of year.

Our first trip to Chapleau was in 1960 and we spent 7 weeks sleeping on the ground. My wife and I drove our 1960 Austin Healey, bugeye Sprite and the couple who joined us drove their 1960 BRG Sprite. We got a hair under 40 mpg at around 32 cents a gallon. Spent under $2 on every fill-up.

Good days. Good times.

Fantastic photos and terrific trip report Frank, thanks ! I enjoy reading these kind of posts on OFC and look forward to seeing more as they come in.

I'm getting the impression from reading about all the trips people here are doing, that there isn't enough time in the world to visit all these places ! I love the French and West Arm but Chapleau and beyond is making me look forward to 2012.

A fantastic afternoon read Frank, thank you! clapping.gif

My pleasure, glad you enjoyed it!

spincast

Posted Today, 06:47 PM

Great report Frank - and no wonder you're smiling ear to ear - between the scenery, the great family time and finding your gold mine - it just doesnt get any better. Thanks for taking the time to share it.

Thanks, Rick. I'll fill you in on the whole thing next time we get out on the water.

Awesome Frank :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim:

My dream starts tomorrow. 10 days in Seguin with whole famn damily!! 4 generations!!

Good luck, and, have a great time Simon!!

basketclam

Posted Yesterday, 08:59 PM

Those chipmunk photos are epic. Great report.

LOL, that chimpmunk was truly insane. There were a bunch of them up there but he was the "king".

Thanks for posting...very good read. Looked at the website for Happy Day Lodge as a result and am confused by their rates. It costs more to stay there (camping wise at least)and fairly substantially, if you are fishing on a sport license, than it does if you have a conservation license?

Any idea what the rationale is behind this?