youtube... releasing goldfish in lake O

In some of the channels of the Detroit river theres at least 6 huge goldfish that have been released in there, plus about 3 large Koi. My buddy was tellin me one of the Koi would be worth about $300 and someone just put him there.

The only thing that keeps little goldfish from surviving? the majority of them get eaten! Pretty hard for them to survive when they are waving them bright colors in a predators face? I saw them all the time in Lake Erie, but only ones too big for most other fish to eat.

A lot of people put them in fish ponds here, the spring rains wash out the ponds and it all flows into Lake Erie around here. Like mentioned, all they are is carp, and I have seem carp at Pointe Au Baril, the cold most of us see won`t stop them.

My buddy Walt from the fire hall has a old in ground pool that needs to be filled in...the liner is all rusted out...but years ago he put in some fish he thought were just gold fish but they turned out to be Koi....and now he has hundreds of them in that pool....another friend Pete from the fire hall put in a small back yard pond for his wife and called me to catch some of Walt's Koi....so a couple of weeks ago there I was with a cold beer in hand catching Koi for Peter....LOL.....many are over 6" long, some have a lot of white marking and all the bigger ones have the LONG SPLIT tails.....when Walt feeds them at least 50-75 come up to the surface for the bread he throws in....they have been in there for a long time now....the pool is all green color water and the cover is sunk into about 3/4 of the pool making great cover for them....he say's once in a while a Blue Heron will come in and catch a couple.

Bob

Edited by Billy Bob

They probably will survive - there are already hundreds, if not thousands, of goldfish in the Great Lakes.

Problem is, nothing will ever come if it because MNR or NYDEC will look at the cost of tracking these idiots down and prosecuting them, and know full well they'll get a maximum fine of about $100. It's just not worth the expense.

They call them baltimore minnows at the bait store and charge a $1 apiece go to walmart and get them for 25 cents. I've caught some pretty nice flat or shovel head catfish on them, biggest was 26 lbs. This is the time of year you start fishing for the big cats after dark as its so hot not much else is biting. Was out last week and the ohio river was 84 degrees.

I agree that is wrong to dump them in the lake, but as already mentioned, I doubt they will survive.

We originally had three very large Goldfish in our pond. Eventually, they all died. These were just common Goldfish, not koi and they grew to approx. 5 pounds!!! These things were very fat and a joy to watch cruise around the pond. We could see them from our window in the kitchen.

I have bought some expensive fish from Bradford Nursery that were over 6" long. They didn't last a week! We tried stocking with half a dozen fish several times. Some of these fish were $16.00 each! The Bass just annihilate them within days!! There is no where to hide when you are bright orange! LOL

I bought some 10 - 11" trout and they didn't last either. I watched the Bass coral them into shallow water and just devour them.

I now have a pair of Goldfish we are trying to raise in a large cage. I still don't think they are big enough to compete with the Bass. They did survive all winter though!

If anyone has any real good size ones they don't want any longer, let me know.