Peterborough City Councillor caught with too many trout

Grimace

Jerk.

Dan McWilliams is not a jerk. Dan is a standup guy who has done a ton for the outdoors and a lot of work getting kids involved in fishing. I knew Dan years ago when my parents owned a cottage on the Kawarthas and I hung around with his brother-in-laws. He has done extensive work with DU Peterborough. As well, the Greenwing kids derby which he runs has been going on for 24 years and is the largest one of its kind. His company, McWilliams Moving and Storage supports numerous local charities.

I have not seen Dan in 20 years so it's not like I am a close personal friend. I do however see the work that he has done over the years as well as the good work he is doing for the City of Peterborough.

From what I have read in the paper, Dan made a mistake interpretting the Ontario Fishing Regulations and kept 1 fish more than his daily limit. I am pretty sure there are others who are reading that have mistaken what is read in the regs. He accepted his mistake, plead guilty as he knew he was and paid his fine. Let's move on. All I ask is that before anyone condemns him as a threat to society, please Google his name and see what else this man has done.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Oof... They kept too many fish AND kept fish within the slot. 4 guys, 9 fish + 6 carcasses. So he thought they were allowed to keep three, but they kept 15? That's still 3 over the limit they thought they were allowed to keep?!?!?!?!

Typically REAL conservationists know the regs of where they are fishing, especially on natural trout lakes.. I don't see why excuses are being made for him.

I think "jerk" was a fair assessment.

Dan McWilliams is not a jerk. Dan is a standup guy who has done a ton for the outdoors and a lot of work getting kids involved in fishing. I knew Dan years ago when my parents owned a cottage on the Kawarthas and I hung around with his brother-in-laws. He has done extensive work with DU Peterborough. As well, the Greenwing kids derby which he runs has been going on for 24 years and is the largest one of its kind. His company, McWilliams Moving and Storage supports numerous local charities.

I have not seen Dan in 20 years so it's not like I am a close personal friend. I do however see the work that he has done over the years as well as the good work he is doing for the City of Peterborough.

From what I have read in the paper, Dan made a mistake interpretting the Ontario Fishing Regulations and kept 1 fish more than his daily limit. I am pretty sure there are others who are reading that have mistaken what is read in the regs. He accepted his mistake, plead guilty as he knew he was and paid his fine. Let's move on. All I ask is that before anyone condemns him as a threat to society, please Google his name and see what else this man has done.

Hes not a threat to society, just the trout population in the kawarthas. Just saying

Edited by lunkerbasshunter

In the information the MNR released to the newspaper, they included the fact that there was a copy of the regs on the dash of the truck, and Mr. McWilliams opened it right up to the page where Havelock Lake is listed as having the slot size.

So he "forgot" his license...honest mistake. But "forgetting" what the regs say....when there's a copy of them in the truck? Sorry...he was either too lazy to check the regs, and deserves the fine, or he is an outright liar, and deserves a bigger fine.

In my opinion I think he probably think nobody would check them, after all his a councilor and they wouldnt be bother by some MNR.. I say good job to the CO for checking them, meaning no bias.. who ever you are, big or small... political or not.. :P

From what I read the fish that could be measured five of the six were in the restricted size class. So not only did they take more fish than legally allowed, over 80% of the ones that could be measured were an illegal size.

Is Dan a jerk? Maybe, maybe not. But he was a jerk for taking more than allowed and keeping ones of an illegal size.

Is there anywhere in Ontario that allows 3 lakers? I don't know of anywhere around the kawarthas that allows more than two.

Not only was he caught, he is lying by saying it was a mistake. I'm pretty sure he knew what he was doing. This should be a lesson to all poachers that you will eventually be caught if you're breaking the fishing regs!

Well, I guess I'm off to catch my daily limit of 8 bass. LOL

The government needs to put more into fishing so we don't have to deal with such crappy regs and limits.

This lake trout limit of one under and one over is insane.

I fish a lot of lakes where you will never get an over and an under...so you sit all day fishing for an under and releasing fish that will just die...makes more sense to just take 2 and be done

Is there anywhere in Ontario that allows 3 lakers? I don't know of anywhere around the kawarthas that allows more than two.

Lake Superior, Zone 9, 3 lakers any size...and tasty too

IMO, they knew the regs, and still kept what they did. They probably do this all the time, just got caught this time. Guys do this all the time, I've seenn it over and over.

3 fish limit on lakers?? Never even heard of it around here. I consider all laker lakes to be a 2 fish limit with a slot on every lake, until I have read otherwise in the regs.

I would be pretty embarrassed if I was him.

S.

IMO, they knew the regs, and still kept what they did. They probably do this all the time, just got caught this time. Guys do this all the time, I've seenn it over and over.

3 fish limit on lakers?? Never even heard of it around here. I consider all laker lakes to be a 2 fish limit with a slot on every lake, until I have read otherwise in the regs.

I would be pretty embarrassed if I was him.

S.

No slot here. 1 over and 1 under 16" or some silly thing like that. Just what is the mortality for a laker released after being ripped out of 100' of water and dumped back in because its the wrong length.

Good point on the burping....lakers seem to handle the depth change quite well....I've noticed they are no fan of warm water....had a good sized one years back in the canoe and we drifted into shore by the time it got landed. Had to paddle out to the deeper water and he perked right up and kicked away strong.

The slot limit in Minden has me releasing lots of lakers and they all swim straight down with no issues

this is from the Yukon Fishing Regs-

Survival rates are high

Studies reviewed by the Yukon Fish and Wildlife

Management Board show that survival rates for released

fish can be very high. These studies suggest that about 94%

of released pike survive along with about 90% of grayling.

Survival rates for released lake trout range from 93% for

lightly handled fish to 76% for deep-hooked fish. Hook placement

is a significant factor affecting the survival of all species

Trust me, this was no mistake!

Not in this guy's case, for sure. But I'm surprised at a few people I know who think the limit on walleye is five in our zone, when it's actually 4, with size restrictions. I guess there was a change at some point and they don't bother keeping on top of it.

We've had many changes here in Zone 17 to our pickerel regs the last couple years, yet I'm still astounded by the number of people I talk to, many who fish regularly, who don't have a clue (or couldn't care less).