Giving up

limeyangler

I quit before the patch was invented. The only way I could do it was cold turkey. I ate sunflower seeds non stop for months and when my mouth got sore I would chew gum. Sunflower seeds are highly recommended but may drive your wife crazy :)

check out a book written by "Alan Carr" called Easy Way to Quit Smoking. myself and 4 of my friends read that and been smoke free for 3 months, 5 months, 11 months, and 16 months! one went back to it and we hope the best for him...and you as well!! you'll wonder what could have ever made you want those things in the first place. best of luck, we're pullin for ya smile.gif

Thanks Kenzy...and congrats to you...i need to here the successes right now.

I Used The Gum Instead Of The Patch. Bought Three Boxes Of Those 42 Piece Of Gum And In Three Months I Was Addictted To The Gum... Slowly Weened Myself Off The Gum And Im Now Two Months Nicotine Free.

I Found Myself Smoking In Between Gum, Or Once In A While Kind Of Thing(bumming smokes). but i still kept at it until finally one day the brain just finally decided i didnt need that smoke first thing in the morning.

Good Luck,

Ted

P.S

Also Dont Let Other Discourage You. If You Slip You Slip Its Not Like Your Smoking Two Packs A Day. Every Day Is One Step Closer To Quitting Smoking.

LOL...funny enough i work in a substance misuse detox centre.....i say all this stuff to my clients everyday....its not so easy when the shoe is on the other foot.

just don't waste the cash on the 'laser therapy' because it only worked for me for 36 hours. my brother in-law lasted 4 or 5 months that way then went back to smoking too. next time I try it will be with champex too but you have to want to quit not someone telling you to quit. you wanting to quit is more powerful then doing so because you are forced to.

Good luck, I hope you can do it!

Thanks Geoff....i'm gonna do it.

Quitting is easy Simon, I've done it many times. wink.gif

Most recently Jan. 6th 2011 for 5 months....

Yes I'm weak at times but I'll kick this nasty habit one day, someday, permanently!

Nasty, nasty habit..... *choke, cough*

I hope i find it easy...lol...that would be awesome!

If you want to quit it, you will, the process is no different than giving up alcohol...I stopped smoking after more than 30 yrs 2 yrs ago and never looked back. Like others in the past I had tried to quit but always for the wrong reasons, once I made the choice for myself, it was easy...sort of smile.gif

Good luck

Maureen

I agree to a certain degree Maureen. However i dont think i really wanted to quit...kinda done for my wife and boy Jack....not to mention the finaciaL side to it. However, i never intended quitting drinking either...i booked into a rehab to avoid the law.....but about 2 weeks into the programme something clicked....so sometimes you just have to drag the horse to water, hold its head under for a while and see what happens smile.gif

I think most everyone said it all but all I can say good thing you quit smoking, jack is growing and he sees you... What ever you do has impact on him... good on you man!.. And remember all the molla you save more fishing stuff... tongue.gif all the best Simon

Its weird bfisher, jack has never said anything about my smoking...until this morning...the morning i make a decision to quit....coincidence?

Congratulations! But...

Make sure you get regular medical check-ups. Nicotine is highly addictive, and I have trouble believing that suddenly cutting yourself off after so many years won't cause physical stress. I don't want to scare you, but I have seen many life-long smokers quit cold turkey and then develop serious medical conditions soon after. Can't hurt to let your doctor know, and get a full physical work-up asap, and frequently thereafter. In the meantime...

thumbsup_anim.gifclapping.gifgood.gifwink.gif

LOL...you are kidding right....its toooooo stressful trying to get an appointment to see a doctor..hell....we dont even have a doctor. But...good advice...thanks.

Simon, I remember my father always saying "when they hit a $1 a pack I'm quitting". Now the 6 feet of soil sitting on top of him, since 1986, doesn't allow him to spend $10+ a pack. If cancer hadn't killed him he'd probably still be doing so!

Cancer scares the crap outta me Wayne....and to think i increase the risks of jack and mum losing me that way is just not on anymore.

I quit Feb 6th 2010. 16 months. Champix was a big help and the dreams were killer. I went from 2 1/2 packs a day to nothing and I feel great. I made a doctors appointment, he checked me and followed up. You really don't know how crappy you feel until after you quit for a good while because then you feel great and could not imagine feeling that crappy again.

Cancer scares the crap outta me Wayne....and to think i increase the risks of jack and mum losing me that way is just not on anymore.

GOOD... don't leave Jack high and dry like my old man did to me when I was 24 ! Give that some thought and those cravings should go away...

Quitting is easy Simon, the addiction will fade in a few days. It's the association that is the toughest. The things you associate having a cigarette with........coffee, after dinner, out in the boat. You will need to change habits and find something to take the place of the smoke.

You have a PM

Much luck and courage...

hang in there limeyangler I gave up today as well. I started at 15 stopped at 19 started again 3 years ago smoked on and off since then

best thing is to quit cold turkey and pick up sports stay away from them cancer sticks , the money you spend on cigarettes every week stash it aside for 1 year im sure you'll have a good sum of $$$$$$$$$$

Good luck and don't give in.

cheers

shadowFly

hang in there limeyangler I gave up today as well. I started at 15 stopped at 19 started again 3 years ago smoked on and off since then

best thing is to quit cold turkey and pick up sports stay away from them cancer sticks , the money you spend on cigarettes every week stash it aside for 1 year im sure you'll have a good sum of $$$$$$$$$$

cheers

shadowFly

i still hang around with people who still smoke. to tell you the truth i honestly dont think about grabbing them and lighting up. I tried once after a month and was so turned off with the taste, swollen throat and stuffy nose.

cold turkey could be a bad thing as well. nicotine is a drug that is very addictive. some people who go cold turkey who goes back to smoking find themself sometimes smoking more. I Just slowly weened myself off with a little bit of help and even thought it feels like ive stopped smoking for a year its only been april 2011 I officially stopped.

just find your groove and you can kick this habit.

cheers,

Ted

Simon, Please keep me posted as to your progress. Like you i quit the booze 21 years ago, but the smokes are deadly addictive, and i was unsuccessful quitting a few months ago. I could use a bit of support to help me try again and maybe stick with it this time.

Good luckthumbsup_anim.gif

Paul

Another vote for Champix if you need help. I stopped April 17, 2010. After 15 years of smoking, i have never felt better. Yes, you will put on weight, just like a few have before. I also know about 9 people that have quit with Alan Carr's book. And they all say the same thing, the book is amazing and works.

Here is the reality of it. For anyone who has smoked in the past will know, smoking is awesome. There are not many things that are better then it. I loved smoking. All parts of it. I still think I love it. The truth is its disgusting in more ways then we can ever imagine. Not to mention the detriment to your health.

Accept that it's amazing, know that you will miss it every day, and know, in the end, the benefits of quitting will out weight the benefits (so we all think) of smoking. Quitting smoking sucked. But it was soooo worth it. I will never smoke again. Its just not worth it. And yes, I still love smoking.

Edited by MuskyMike

Simon, Please keep me posted as to your progress. Like you i quit the booze 21 years ago, but the smokes are deadly addictive, and i was unsuccessful quitting a few months ago. I could use a bit of support to help me try again and maybe stick with it this time.

Paul

I can see how breaking this habit CAN be really really hard but really its not. Alot of people think that these needs for smoking are just bad habits but people get confused with habits and addiction. Regardless of being unsuccessful you should have just stuck with it. In the month of march i think i ended up buying smokes and smoking everyday for three weeks before getting back on track. and in april i had a few slip heres and there and i pretty much learned how to say "NO" to friends and peers who offered(you know who you are). But Every Week It Got Easier And Easier. The BIG reward is the left over money i have saved from buying smokes and already i can buy a 14' trailer(second hand of course) with that money :)

Keep it up merc and limely

Its been 3.5 years for me and it was champix that got me through it after a week or so you will notice how bad you smell when you smoke that was the biggest incentive for me can't believe how bad it makes people smell (sorry smokers but you stink LOL) good luck and stick with it.

i concur with the stinky.

After a 2nd attempt with Champix....read the instructions for a change, have been off the smokes for over a year. Wife figured out how much money I saved and went out and bought me a very nice reel as a reward. Then she got herself a very nice reel.

As for the coffee, get some that has a better 'kick' than the normal stuff you're drinking while smoking...Starbucks extra extra bold...seemed to help.

After a 2nd attempt with Champix....read the instructions for a change, have been off the smokes for over a year. Wife figured out how much money I saved and went out and bought me a very nice reel as a reward. Then she got herself a very nice reel.

As for the coffee, get some that has a better 'kick' than the normal stuff you're drinking while smoking...Starbucks extra extra bold...seemed to help.

Took me two turns at Champix as well, the first time when I failed I did not complete the program, the second time I did it exactly as instructed and never looked back.

The weight gain is an issue I went from 185 to 215 and felt like crap the weight is sloooowly coming off but try and watch your eating habits to avoid the big weight gain.

I wish there was a Champix for junk food! :lol:

As for the weight gain associated with quiting tobacco products, it's because nicotine is not only a stimulant but also exhibits strong nutrient partitioning effects(effects how calories and macronutrients are dealt with within the body).

A good dose of fish oil daily will help resolve that issue, and help you become healthier in many facets anyhow.

6 grams per day, in divided doses with food. This can be bought at a health food store, or Wal-Mart, for about $10/bottle. Look for a product that contains 1 gram per softgel, with 180mg EPA, and 120mg of DHA (should be easy, this is the normal numbers for most products)

Thanks Dan, i tried the 15 minute thing in the boat yesterday(my last smoking day)...lol...not too successful. But so far today the urges come about every 15 minutes, they pass.

whaT PART OF lIMEY LAND YOU FROM?

You'll get it right just stick with it. You think fish fries tasted good before......wait a week :thumbsup_anim:

I was born just outside of Bristol in a small town called Knutsford (my kid gets a kick out of that...."see, you're nuts and you drive a Ford hahahaha) but immigrated to Canada in 1974 when I was 4 years old so truth of the matter is I'm pretty Canadian. Still have some relatives there, near Bristol and in Manchester, and have been back a few times for family vacations but I just don't get the same feeling as I do here, this is home. Went to Scotland 6 years ago for the first time and really liked that - more wild places.

Dan

Edited by SylvanOwner

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

congrats on your decision.

my only advice is to avoid use of words like "try" to quit smoking. your mind intentionally creates this loopholes because you are already doubting yourself.

the day you decide to quit smoking, you will.

in the words of Yoda, "there is no try, only do"

I quit Feb 6th 2010. 16 months. Champix was a big help and the dreams were killer. I went from 2 1/2 packs a day to nothing and I feel great. I made a doctors appointment, he checked me and followed up. You really don't know how crappy you feel until after you quit for a good while because then you feel great and could not imagine feeling that crappy again.

Thanks Grimace, you done good....i admire your achievement...hope i can emulate it :thumbsup_anim:

GOOD... don't leave Jack high and dry like my old man did to me when I was 24 ! Give that some thought and those cravings should go away...

That helps....I'm pretty pumped that i've even managed one day with the help of patches.

Quitting is easy Simon, the addiction will fade in a few days. It's the association that is the toughest. The things you associate having a cigarette with........coffee, after dinner, out in the boat. You will need to change habits and find something to take the place of the smoke.

You have a PM

Much luck and courage...

Got your PM John.....thanks buddy...very inspirational. This COMMUNITY ROCKS!

cheers

shadowFly

Thanks Shadowfly...i'm no David Beckham but i love playing soccer. * years ago i would play 3 times a week, but i found it less enjoyable as my age and fitness(smoking and running for 90 minutes dont work) took its toll, i am gonna sign up for Dryden United again this summer, played one season 3 years agobut was too out of shape and did not enjoy it at all.

As for the money side of it i have another page open on my laptop as I type...just found a MinnKota I-Pilot for my Terrova for $325 US....and we just got an HST Rebate cheque thingy...hmmmmmmmmm.....very tempting :whistling:

just find your groove and you can kick this habit.

cheers,

Ted

Very good advice Ted, I think there are a few tried and tested ways to approach giving up, but at the end of the day everyone is different and what works for some may not for another...in my view as long as the 'means' do not cause harm to others its the 'end' that counts.

Paul

PM sent Paul...i think we could be mutually beneficial to each other here. Did you get to keep the boat!!!!???? :sarcasm:

you can do it!! i quit about 6 and a half years ago cold turkey. No help just will power. It can be done im proof of it.

hang in there you can do this!!!!

Thanks LBH.....and congrats to you...i'm only 2 days in and am in awe of those of you who continue to successfully not smoke :thumbsup_anim:

Its been 3.5 years for me and it was champix that got me through it after a week or so you will notice how bad you smell when you smoke that was the biggest incentive for me can't believe how bad it makes people smell (sorry smokers but you stink LOL) good luck and stick with it.

Went to pick up a prescription today(unrelated to my smoking issue) and was looking at the nicotine gum in anticipation of my first fishing trip without smokes. The pharmacist said it was a good idea and would not be harmful to double with the patches for short periods. During our conversation he also mentioned Champix and was very enthusiastic about it, he said the same thing about the smell turning your stomach when using Champix. I dont think i will be unsuccessful the way i'm doing it now...even at this early stage...but its always good to have a plan B.

Thanks Again SRT8

Another vote for Champix if you need help. I stopped April 17, 2010. After 15 years of smoking, i have never felt better. Yes, you will put on weight, just like a few have before. I also know about 9 people that have quit with Alan Carr's book. And they all say the same thing, the book is amazing and works.

Here is the reality of it. For anyone who has smoked in the past will know, smoking is awesome. There are not many things that are better then it. I loved smoking. All parts of it. I still think I love it. The truth is its disgusting in more ways then we can ever imagine. Not to mention the detriment to your health.

Accept that it's amazing, know that you will miss it every day, and know, in the end, the benefits of quitting will out weight the benefits (so we all think) of smoking. Quitting smoking sucked. But it was soooo worth it. I will never smoke again. Its just not worth it. And yes, I still love smoking.

Interesting take on the issue, not sure i agree with all of it...but absolutely agree with getting to a point of "acceptance", only for me its accepting i am not gonna smoke ever again...no matter whether I think I love it or hate it.

Thanks for your encouragement Mike...much appreciated.

:

I can see how breaking this habit CAN be really really hard but really its not. Alot of people think that these needs for smoking are just bad habits but people get confused with habits and addiction. Regardless of being unsuccessful you should have just stuck with it. In the month of march i think i ended up buying smokes and smoking everyday for three weeks before getting back on track. and in april i had a few slip heres and there and i pretty much learned how to say "NO" to friends and peers who offered(you know who you are). But Every Week It Got Easier And Easier. The BIG reward is the left over money i have saved from buying smokes and already i can buy a 14' trailer(second hand of course) with that money :)

Keep it up merc and limely

Thanks for your insights Todd, I dont want to speak for Paul (Merc), but i think given what he has openly talked about on the forum before that he is in any confusion about the nature of 'addictions'....lol...in fact he is somewhat of an expert on the subject! I'm sure he realises that he needs to get back on the 'programme' and has even asked me for help....OMG..."the Blind leading the Blind" or as they say in proffesional circles "peer Support" :rofl2::thumbsup_anim:

Like you say Todd...a few more gadgets on the boat before summer is over looks to be on the cards...thanks for your support buddy :thumbsup_anim:

i concur with the stinky.

LOL.did i mention i have a Red Bull addiction already too :wallbash