Giving up

limeyangler

Hi all,

I need help...lol....I bought some nicotine patches last week and finally stuck one on this morning at 9am. I have just finished a nice big walleye lunch and the urge is upon me GREATLY.

I have never tried giving up smoking before and have been smoking for 30 years.

I gave up Alcohol, exactly 16 years ago today, thought i'd quit smoking on the same day so i could celebrate another addiction's asskicking on the same day as the booze....WISH ME LUCK PLEASE....i'm gonna need it...this is way harder than the other stuff ....waaaaay harder.

Edited by limeyangler

IF you thought that nice big walleye lunch tasted good before.. just wait.... it will be 100 times better once your off the death sticks.

I just quit again a couple months ago, as with the other stuff you kicked, one day at a time. The urge will fade. Your lil guy will thank you down the road too.....

I'm with you Limey, just came back from a fly-in north of Cochrane which was my scheduled quit. Been 2 days and doing fine, the first 2 weeks are a piece of cake for me, it's after that I stumble....yes, this comes from experience, I'm a practiced quitter.....lol. Never been through the other stuff but "death sticks" are really really difficult to quit but I'm determined this time. When you have the urge, wait ten or 15 minutes and chances are it'll be gone.

From one limey to another.......good luck man!

Dan

avoid the things that you associate with smoking. waking up, eating, coffe breaks, working, fishing, playing cards, hanging in the garage, BBQing, a certain group of buddies that smoke their faces off, etc.

the more you smoke the more of these habit smokes you have...id try to avoid the situations you find yourself in that it would seem most natural to smoke.

Just about 16 months for me and doin fine, there is no way heck I could have done it with out the help of Champix.

In my humble opinion Champix is a miracle drug, if you are truly committed to quitting nicotine and you supply the will power Champix will takecare of the rest!!! :thumbsup_anim:

The financial and health benifits of not smoking are obvious but it is so nice not being controlled by a cigarette,standing outside in the cold or rain, always wondering if you have enough smokes to last to whenever and not smelling like a asytray.

Good luck Limey and if the patch does not work consider Champix!!! :thumbsup_anim:

Good for you!

I definitely know how it is. I smoked for 20 years, and have been smoke free for 1 year and 3 months.

It will change your life in many positive ways. It's worth everything to do all that you can do to make this happen.

Like you said, it will be difficult, but there are things to make it easier on you. You can do it!

I used the smokestik to aid my battle. Just knowing that it was there if I needed it played a big mental role. I didn't even use it all that much. It was only used to suppress my moments of increased anxiety. Check it out when you get a chance. Only use this as a quitting aid and not as a substitute, and only when you really need it!

Fishing has been great without the smoking! Seriously.

Clearly your problem is that you only have one bad habit. :P

...Just kidding of course. I wish you the best of luck. Maybe try a shift or two in your daily routine to aid in the process.

Yup...good idea...i'm gonna skip morning coffee...choose a juice or water and do 15 minutes on the cross trainer

Just think of how much fishing gear you could buy with your ciggy money. If I was a smoker, that'd be my motivation!

My dad quit 12 years ago after having smoked for 35 years. It was rough (on him and us!) but it can be done!

Giv'r.

Thanks Sinclair, my new I-Pilot is only 40 days away :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim:

Best advice I can give you is cold turkey or nothing. You will never quit if you have one here and there. Expect to gain weight because you will. Keep chewing on things to keep you busy.

I agree Fish4Eyes, my experience with alcohol taught me just that....for me it will have to be all or nothing approach.

IF you thought that nice big walleye lunch tasted good before.. just wait.... it will be 100 times better once your off the death sticks.

I just quit again a couple months ago, as with the other stuff you kicked, one day at a time. The urge will fade. Your lil guy will thank you down the road too.....

Thanks harrison....hearing the urges will fade is what i need to hear, as for my shore lunches tasting better...never thought of that....AWESOME!

I'm with you Limey, just came back from a fly-in north of Cochrane which was my scheduled quit. Been 2 days and doing fine, the first 2 weeks are a piece of cake for me, it's after that I stumble....yes, this comes from experience, I'm a practiced quitter.....lol. Never been through the other stuff but "death sticks" are really really difficult to quit but I'm determined this time. When you have the urge, wait ten or 15 minutes and chances are it'll be gone.

From one limey to another.......good luck man!

Dan

Thanks Dan, i tried the 15 minute thing in the boat yesterday(my last smoking day)...lol...not too successful. But so far today the urges come about every 15 minutes, they pass.

whaT PART OF lIMEY LAND YOU FROM?

If I can do it, you can too.

If you had an alcohol problem and quit, you will find, in hindsight, this is nothing.

Good luck!!

i HOPE SO!

avoid the things that you associate with smoking. waking up, eating, coffe breaks, working, fishing, playing cards, hanging in the garage, BBQing, a certain group of buddies that smoke their faces off, etc.

the more you smoke the more of these habit smokes you have...id try to avoid the situations you find yourself in that it would seem most natural to smoke.

LOL...not much to avoid then.

about 8 guys just quit smoking at work and they all found it easy

they all used Champix

i'll keep that in mind

Just about 16 months for me and doin fine, there is no way heck I could have done it with out the help of Champix.

In my humble opinion Champix is a miracle drug, if you are truly committed to quitting nicotine and you supply the will power Champix will takecare of the rest!!! :thumbsup_anim:

The financial and health benifits of not smoking are obvious but it is so nice not being controlled by a cigarette,standing outside in the cold or rain, always wondering if you have enough smokes to last to whenever and not smelling like a asytray.

Good luck Limey and if the patch does not work consider Champix!!! :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks LFW.....I am looking forward to the freedom as you say.

Everytime you think you really need a smoke Simon, get on your computer and look up a picture of advanced lung cancer .

My best friend for the past 35 years developed throat cancer 25 years ago from smoking. They cleared him up and it reappeared 8 years later, but only worse and they had to remove his voice box and he now talks with one of those vibrating gizmos.

Last week he found out he now has cancer in his esophogus and he's just waitng for the prognosis as we speak.

I also smoked for 30 years but gave up those filthy stinking things cold turkey 20 years ago.

There are absolutely no reasons on earth to ever light up another smoke and about a gazillion reasons to quit NOW.

Here's another helpful tip which helped us in our quest to quit.Start cleaning,particularly the areas you frequent the most.Getting the smoke smell out of your living area goes a long way to alleviating the urges as your system changes.Of course once everything has a nice fresh scent it makes it a little tougher to go back.It's been 11 years+ for us.

Kerry

Keep it coming folks...muchly appreciated.

Good for you!

I definitely know how it is. I smoked for 20 years, and have been smoke free for 1 year and 3 months.

It will change your life in many positive ways. It's worth everything to do all that you can do to make this happen.

Like you said, it will be difficult, but there are things to make it easier on you. You can do it!

I used the smokestik to aid my battle. Just knowing that it was there if I needed it played a big mental role. I didn't even use it all that much. It was only used to suppress my moments of increased anxiety. Check it out when you get a chance. Only use this as a quitting aid and not as a substitute, and only when you really need it!

Fishing has been great without the smoking! Seriously.

Thanks Disco, I am trying to take it one day at a time but i'd be lying if i said the one thing that makes me think its gonna suck is not smoking and fishing....good to hear it don't!

Good luck Simon....one day at a time...you can do it :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks man...i day or 1 hour at a time i'm gonna get through this!

Congrats on 16 years of sobriety brother.

Ask your HP for the obsession to smoke to be lifted... ;)

Good advice...and thank you

Everytime you think you really need a smoke Simon, get on your computer and look up a picture of advanced lung cancer .

My best friend for the past 35 years developed throat cancer 25 years ago from smoking. They cleared him up and it reappeared 8 years later, but only worse and they had to remove his voice box and he now talks with one of those vibrating gizmos.

Last week he found out he now has cancer in his esophogus and he's just waitng for the prognosis as we speak.

I also smoked for 30 years but gave up those filthy stinking things cold turkey 20 years ago.

There are absolutely no reasons on earth to ever light up another smoke and about a gazillion reasons to quit NOW.

LOL...thanks Lew, i think i'll avoid that...the stress of worrying about cancer at this point would make me want to smoke even more...lol.

Here's another helpful tip which helped us in our quest to quit.Start cleaning,particularly the areas you frequent the most.Getting the smoke smell out of your living area goes a long way to alleviating the urges as your system changes.Of course once everything has a nice fresh scent it makes it a little tougher to go back.It's been 11 years+ for us.

Kerry

Thanks Kerry, good advice. I actually stopped smoking in my vehicles and home 8 years ago...lol...kind of happened exactly the same time as i got married...she does not smoke.

check out a book written by "Alan Carr" called Easy Way to Quit Smoking. myself and 4 of my friends read that and been smoke free for 3 months, 5 months, 11 months, and 16 months! one went back to it and we hope the best for him...and you as well!! you'll wonder what could have ever made you want those things in the first place. best of luck, we're pullin for ya :)

Hi all,

I need help...lol....I bought some nicotine patches last week and finally stuck one on this morning at 9am. I have just finished a nice big walleye lunch and the urge is upon me GREATLY.

I have never tried giving up smoking before and have been smoking for 30 years.

I gave up Alcohol, exactly 16 years ago today, thought i'd quit smoking on the same day so i could celebrate another addiction's asskicking on the same day as the booze....WISH ME LUCK PLEASE....i'm gonna need it...this is way harder than the other stuff ....waaaaay harder.

I Used The Gum Instead Of The Patch. Bought Three Boxes Of Those 42 Piece Of Gum And In Three Months I Was Addictted To The Gum... Slowly Weened Myself Off The Gum And Im Now Two Months Nicotine Free.

I Found Myself Smoking In Between Gum, Or Once In A While Kind Of Thing(bumming smokes). but i still kept at it until finally one day the brain just finally decided i didnt need that smoke first thing in the morning.

Good Luck,

Ted

P.S

Also Dont Let Other Discourage You. If You Slip You Slip Its Not Like Your Smoking Two Packs A Day. Every Day Is One Step Closer To Quitting Smoking.

check out a book written by "Alan Carr" called Easy Way to Quit Smoking. myself and 4 of my friends read that and been smoke free for 3 months, 5 months, 11 months, and 16 months! one went back to it and we hope the best for him...and you as well!! you'll wonder what could have ever made you want those things in the first place. best of luck, we're pullin for ya :)

Read This Book. Even Took The Seminar. Its Not For Everybody.

Ive Read This Book Quit Two Days, Took The Seminar Quit 23 Hours. like I said Its not for everybody.

just don't waste the cash on the 'laser therapy' because it only worked for me for 36 hours. my brother in-law lasted 4 or 5 months that way then went back to smoking too. next time I try it will be with champex too but you have to want to quit not someone telling you to quit. you wanting to quit is more powerful then doing so because you are forced to.

Good luck, I hope you can do it!

Quitting is easy Simon, I've done it many times. ;)

Most recently Jan. 6th 2011 for 5 months....

Yes I'm weak at times but I'll kick this nasty habit one day, someday, permanently!

Nasty, nasty habit..... *choke, cough*

If you want to quit it, you will, the process is no different than giving up alcohol...I stopped smoking after more than 30 yrs 2 yrs ago and never looked back. Like others in the past I had tried to quit but always for the wrong reasons, once I made the choice for myself, it was easy...sort of :)

Good luck

Maureen

I think most everyone said it all but all I can say good thing you quit smoking, jack is growing and he sees you... What ever you do has impact on him... good on you man!.. And remember all the molla you save more fishing stuff... :P all the best Simon

Congratulations! But...

Make sure you get regular medical check-ups. Nicotine is highly addictive, and I have trouble believing that suddenly cutting yourself off after so many years won't cause physical stress. I don't want to scare you, but I have seen many life-long smokers quit cold turkey and then develop serious medical conditions soon after. Can't hurt to let your doctor know, and get a full physical work-up asap, and frequently thereafter. In the meantime...

:thumbsup_anim::clapping::good:;)

Edited by Dave Bailey

Simon, I remember my father always saying "when they hit a $1 a pack I'm quitting". Now the 6 feet of soil sitting on top of him, since 1986, doesn't allow him to spend $10+ a pack. If cancer hadn't killed him he'd probably still be doing so!