Postal Strike . . . . .

Photoz

As a member of C. U. P. W., I have been notified that as of 11:59 P. M. June 2 I will officially be involved in a strike, against Canada Post that I know we can't possibly win! Too many alternatives out there now . . . . . who REALLY needs us these days? Is ANYBODY gonna even notice we're gone?

BTW . . . . this doesn't necessarily mean a nation-wide shut-down . . . . it'll likely be in different centres, a day here . . . . a day there . . . . stay tuned . . . . they'll likely be announcing BEFORE the Friday strike date what they have planned?

Edited by Photoz

I am waiting for a package that is coming by post

had I known I would have got it sent fedex

I don't need the bills and junk mail I get now

almost all bill come to me electronically now

and I pay them on line

I don't get home delivery of mail I have to go to the post office to get my mail

we go about once every two weeks to get the mail........I am sorry to tell you in my life snail mail is dead

Well considering 90% of my customers send thier payments to me by mail, this is extremely bad news.

A slow economy has been haveing negative effects on small bussinesses as it is. This only makes it harder to remain in bussinesswallbash.gif

It will affect me both at home and at work. We send alot of mail to clients and receive all our cheques by mail. Won't miss the bills, but they do have to get paid!!!!

At home I buy and sell on ebay. Guess that will be the end of that for awhile :angry:

I'm just lookin' up my carp recipes . . . . I'm told that if ya use enough curry it'll kill the taste! I think I'll start on carp 'n' chips . . . . . I've likely had them before,only they were called halibut 'n' chips?

I don;t even know what mailbox my key works in in the super box. Maybe I should figure it out I guess. It won't affect me. everything electronic, bills etc... anything important goes fedex or ups.

I don't trust thos postal workers one bit.... :whistling:

I have a friend hat works for communist post. He is mad..you know why? Get this, they want to take his 70 banked sick days away...\Could you imagine...Wow is all I can say. Here I sit self employed and wonder what ONE sick day would be like...Unionized postal workers need to wake up and realize how good they have had it....until now that is..I say bring it on and burry yourselves further..From what he tells me Purolator is owned by Canada Post..Perhaps he can get a job there?

Jennifer's last insurance drug claim, for $4900, made it to Sun Life on Friday and my tractor starter part showed up last Wednesday.... so we're good. Hydro One can find another way to send me my monthly hydro bill!

Sorry Steve.. but your fellow crohneys are gettin greedy.

Edited by irishfield

My personal life, no. My business, YES it will be effected. Not all suppliers are onto electronic billing. Nor do they all accept through internet banking, etc. A lot of my business is by postal service. This now means I have to use a courier to send cheques. Just when I thought I was starting to cut down expenses, another one pops up. Thanks Canada Post

I have a friend hat works for communist post. He is mad..you know why? Get this, they want to take his 70 banked sick days away...\Could you imagine...Wow is all I can say. Here I sit self employed and wonder what ONE sick day would be like...Unionized postal workers need to wake up and realize how good they have had it....until now that is..I say bring it on and burry yourselves further..From what he tells me Purolator is owned by Canada Post..Perhaps he can get a job there?

I took a union (GOV) job so I would have good benefits and pension and sick days

I took a big cut in pay to take the job

but the benefits and security made it worth while...if they try to screw with mine I would go on strike and why not it's money in the bank that was fought for and won

why would some one not be pissed about taking a big cut.......

Edited by Terry®

Doesn't affect me at all. Pay all bills online.

From what I have read, they want to create two ranks of workers, with big changes for new hires in particular. As far as I can see it is largely due to the 17% reduction in mail delivered since 2006 (Got this figure from some newspaper).

I have an opinion on unions etc, but I'll leave it alone.

It's funny how people say unions suck but how many know how much the average worker has benefited from the gains in health and safety/working hours/minimum standards etc,etc... These weren't gifts from the government given just because they liked us...In 1946, workers at stelco got 2 weeks off after 25 years of service...today you get that after a year...if the big corporations had their way, we would go back to 46....I don't always agree with what the public sector unions ask for because they tend to be greedy with public tax dollars...There seems to be a race to the bottom these days with the average home price at 250-300 thousand and wages dropping and failing to even keep up with inflation...The hate should be directed at the ones who started the big recession and economic collapse in 2008...big banks and corporations took government bailouts ,then gave themselves big bonuses......watch the movie inside job to get some perspective.....

Guest gbfisher

It's funny how people say unions suck but how many know how much the average worker has benefited from the gains in health and safety/working hours/minimum standards etc,etc... These weren't gifts from the government given just because they liked us...In 1946, workers at stelco got 2 weeks off after 25 years of service...today you get that after a year...if the big corporations had their way, we would go back to 46....I don't always agree with what the public sector unions ask for because they tend to be greedy with public tax dollars...There seems to be a race to the bottom these days with the average home price at 250-300 thousand and wages dropping and failing to even keep up with inflation...The hate should be directed at the ones who started the big recession and economic collapse in 2008...big banks and corporations took government bailouts ,then gave themselves big bonuses......watch the movie inside job to get some perspective.....

Agreed, Unions used to work for people. :rolleyes: Now Unions members work themselves out of jobs by not working.

Now Unions work against business. Union jobs get lost by private businesses undercutting..because they can!

I've seen way to many journey men lose their jobs and apprentices get hired because Union companies can pay less and get more work done. It's the only way they can make money.

I've been on both side. How bout you? :D

Edited by gbfisher

I'm out on the street due to a lock out because we won't agree to shaft 9000 pensioners...2000 of which are widows....heavy industry claims a lot of lives due to dangerous working conditions, various cancers etc...and I wouldn't want to be in this without a union....our managers put us in some deadly situations to try to speed things up, one that resulted in a fellow worker with second degree burns...if he had inhaled when he was engulfed in flames he would be dead....I used to hate unions until I started to work for the morons I work for now.....

Now a days EVERYONE is getting squeezed...don't know what pay scale your postal workers have but ours is some of the best you can get for a unskilled worker...unless reading addresses is a skill...LOL

But remember where this phrase comes from "GOING POSTAL".... :whistling:

I'm sure your government will intervene and get things back to normal...hopefully before anyone goes POSTAL.

I was just going to fire up my online tackle/gear sales again, guess I'll hold off for a bit.

On unions, I am mixed. I see both the pros and cons. However, I am gearing up for a long drawn out strike or lockout here in the City of TO next year. Both Cupe unions contracts expire and there is a 700+ million short fall the same year..... hold on for the ride....she's going to be bumpy!

Edited by Harrison