Pickled Eggs (NF)

Entropy

Does anyone know how to make pickled eggs?

Got a recipe of your own or would you mind pointing me in the right direction.

I’d love to have a jar sitting near the bar, and to have the conversation that I made them ... now that’s something you can enjoy for the evening, not to mention the smell. ;)

Entropy

Here's a standard:

12 hard-boiled eggs, peeled

1 large empty sterilized glass jar

4 cups vinegar

1 teaspoon salt

2 medium onions, chopped

1/3 cup sugar

1 tablespoon pickling spices

1. Put the peeled hardboiled eggs in the large jar.

2. Boil the remaining ingredients together for 5 minutes.

3. Pour over the eggs in the jar.

4. Cover; leave on counter overnight.

5. Keeps in refrigerator for weeks, in theory.

6. In reality, if you love pickled eggs, these will disappear.

Probably the most ironic thing that will happen all week lol. But i was sitting here salting a hard boiled egg for lunch here at my desk as i logged on to OFC and pickled eggs was the first topic on the list. Spooky lol. Anyway, i cant contribute to the recipes unfortunately. I have never, and probably will never eat a pickled egg lol.

Quick pickled egg story... I was with a bunch of guys on a ice fishin trip to Quinte. We arrived the night before and began partying pretty hard. We brought 5 dozen pickled eggs with us, I ate 13 along with a dozen beer (Labatt 50) and a few Ceasars... well the next day in the hut, I was not a very popular guy. :whistling:

Also learned that day that wearing my floater suit in the hut exposed me to really nasty aromas! The stench would billow out the front of my pants and creep along the hut floor! Never seen those guys move so fast...

HH

Got to love those little pink bombs!I bought a few the other day at a deli.Took one bite but they were not done right..too dry.I wish I could get some like I used to get when I was in the Navy.Good times,cept for the ex who found out what a "dutch oven" was.

Joe

Edited by Daplumma

This thread reminds me of a story from last fall. While traveling through Iowa with some friends, we stopped at an out of the way small town bar for a few beers. My buddy spots a jar of pickled eggs on the bar and orders a beer on tap and an egg from the waitress. The waitress comes back and plops a tall glass of beer in front of him that had a translucent blob in the bottom of it. My buddy asks the waitress what the %&*@ is at the bottom of his glass? "It's an egg" she replied. The waitress had cracked a raw egg and dropped it in his beer. Anyways, we had a good laugh after he explained to her that he wanted a pickled egg. You gotta be really specific in small town Iowa it seems.

Good times,cept for the ex who found out what a "dutch oven" was.

Joe

:lol: Is that why shes you ex ? haha.

I don't really know what's in dill pickle juice, but after I ate a jar of pickles, I poked a couple holes with a fork into each hard boiled egg and marinated it in the dill pickle juice over night and they were the best I've ever had, I figured that's how they made them, lol. Works good, poke some holes and the juice will really get in there.

A little tip. If you dont like them too strong cut the vineger in half with water. Beleive it or not many many years ago I used to sell pickled eggs and other bar supplies for a living. One day Lew was helping me and he dropped a gallon of pickled Pork Hocks out side the Ganaraske hotel in Port Hope . I swear sometimes I can still smell them.LOL