Suv Suggestions

Dan668

Read a few posts from the search, most were on midsize or smaller suvs. Im looking to purchase a used suv. Need it to tow an 18ft boat that roughly weighs 2500lbs loaded, and will need to include 4 passengers in the truck.

Have looked at the newer xterras (07), a grand cherokee 2005 hemi and a few chevy trailblazers. Any suggestions? Will need it for regular trips totaling no more than 3 hours one way. Also do a regular summer trip every year where i drive 10-12 hours up north.

Thanks.

With current gas prices id'd check out the newer Cherokee with the 3L Diesel.

I have an 05 Xterra, it tows my 16 foot lund(90 4 stroke, approx 2000lbs) very nicely!

Its been a great vehicle, nearly 200,000 Kms and still drives like new. I will likely buy another someday.

Edited by Pigeontroller

I have a 2000 Expedition with 280K,that tows my 30' Camper anywhere...it tows my 14 no problem ! :thumbsup_anim:

I've had 0 ZERO, 0 ZERO.. problems in 8 years, regular preventative maintenance is key to the preservation of any vehicle.

But you don't wanna hear about the MPG! :wallbash:

I love it and dread the day that she dies.

QuebecTyler008.jpg

Gull2009001.jpg

Gull2009019.jpg

lures013-1.jpg

Randy

:canadian:

I love my expedition too! As much as she loves the gas!

Been looking at a new to me purchase maybe this year if gas continues to rise. Like what I see and hear about the pilot but also going to look at a GMC Acclaim and I think the Torrent too

I just traded my '03 GMC Envoy after almost 8 years and I loved it. It had the big 6 in it and towed my 21' Procraft with no trouble at all. If it had a 3rd row of seats I would have definitely bought another one. I debated the Acadia vs. a used Yukon and ended up getting the Yukon...I just wasn't convinced the Acadia would be able to handle regular towing of 3500lbs. The Yukon is great but I too am getting to know the gas station owners pretty well these days.wallbash.gif

They have an MPG rating on those? :dunno::dunno:

I thought is was a GPM rating. :tease::tease::tease:

I've made her efficient as I could... Edge Chip, K&N Cold Air intake,JET Throttle Body spacer, 3" Magnaflow front to back and full synthetics all around, E3 Spark Plugs.. now @ about 400HP.

If I tow my camper uphill a good hill , like the ones near Thunder Bay or Mattawa, for more than a minute at 105KPH it registers 0.1 MPG or 0.1Kms/100L... it won't go any lower.. :wallbash:

I've actually seen it happen....18MPG Bobtail Hwy 11 city is the BEST I ever got...0.1HWY is the worse.

I love her anyway!!

Randy

I have a 2000 Expedition with 280K,that tows my 30' Camper anywhere...it tows my 14 no problem ! :thumbsup_anim:

I've had 0 ZERO, 0 ZERO.. problems in 8 years, regular preventative maintenance is key to the preservation of any vehicle.

But you don't wanna hear about the MPG! :wallbash:

I love it and dread the day that she dies.

QuebecTyler008.jpg

Randy

Now there's a fun drinking game for the backyard!

Who knew two golf balls tied together with a foot or two of string between them, and a few sticks, would be so fun!

Now there's a fun drinking game for the backyard!

Who knew two golf balls tied together with a foot or two of string between them, and a few sticks, would be so fun!

I love it!!... Monkey Balls.. Bolo.. Ladder Golf.. Texas Twister .. whatever ya wanna call it ... it's FUN! :clapping:

How about something a little different? I have a Chevy Avalanche. Look great, lots of seating room, plenty of power to tow your boat PLUS you've got the box in the back to store all your stuff. When necessary you can fold the back bench down to get a full size box. Has a big expensive to fill gas tank but will drop down automatically from 6 to 4 cylinder when not under heavy load...nice feature that saves gas

Read a few posts from the search, most were on midsize or smaller suvs. Im looking to purchase a used suv. Need it to tow an 18ft boat that roughly weighs 2500lbs loaded, and will need to include 4 passengers in the truck.

Have looked at the newer xterras (07), a grand cherokee 2005 hemi and a few chevy trailblazers. Any suggestions? Will need it for regular trips totaling no more than 3 hours one way. Also do a regular summer trip every year where i drive 10-12 hours up north.

Thanks.

A 2006-2007 Cherokee with the 4.7 could be found for a good deal and can tow up to 6500#s. Also a newer 08-10 Jeep liberty can tow 3500#s(aftermarket hitch), 5000#s(tow package from factory) with sliglhty lower costs then a Cherokee.

Examples of Hemi costs vs 06-07 4.7,The 4.7 is easier to DYI. Hemi your looking at 16 spark plugs, quadadrive would be more expensive to repair then quadratrac II. As mentioned maintenance is key.

Edited by Bigfisherman

Just sold our '04 Expedition and picked up an '08 Acadia. A smaller vehicle with a smaller engine makes things easier for my wife. It has the tow package but will rarely ever pull anything. The new F150 does that. We have a family of 6 so we still need the extra space. The 4 captains chairs are great.

With current gas prices id'd check out the newer Cherokee with the 3L Diesel.

What he said. Mercedes built the engines for these. If not the Cherokee, then the 4Runner up to model year 2003. I don't know much about models newer than 2003, but you can forget about maintenance with the 2003 and below.

Edited by Fish4Eyes

i would suggest an 07 or newer Nissan Pathfinder or Xterra. i currently own an 08 xterra and the wife has 2010 Pathfinder. no issues whatsoever with either truck and im at 210,000 on the xterra already. no real issues and the only expense so far on the xterra has been the usual maintenance. prior to my xterra i owned a 2003 pathfinder...ended up with 330,000 on it before i decided to get a newer car.

overall i have used most of these mid size suv and when your towing the gas mileage is pretty much the same my seirra averages about 15mpg towing my ranger, couple friends get the same using there pilot's mdx's the toyota's seem the thirstyest (is that a word) so really buy the one you like there all built pretty good these days other the the odd bad one that comes down the line. If i was looking for something to daily drive and do some towing I like the seats and comfort of a acura mdx not to sure on the specs but most of my customers love theres

I can comment on this with some authority since I just had a ridiculously well researched, 4 month quest for two vehicles. Coming from a 2002 Grand Cherokee Overland V8 that had to serve as a "wife-mobile", tow rig, cottage shuttle, light trail machine (for back lakes) and moving van, I needed something that was better on fuel, space and reliability. Also

It was a toss-up between a Honda Ridgeline and a 4Runner. Went with a 2006 4Runner Sport with a 4.0L V6, due to proven reliability and reasonable fuel economy. I read the long-term owner reviews and people drive them to 400K and love them.

Go for a 4Runner. You will not be disappointed.

I hate to "brand" one car maker based on personal experiences, but as much as I loved the power and features on the Jeep, it was a constant problem. Too many bells and whistles that Chrysler technology couldn't seem to support quality-wise.