Maintenance Service

chromermo

It's just as easy when it's under warrantee... :sarcasm::D

$4 pump from Princess Auto.. $16 quart of High Performance Merc lower unit oil. One $12 oil filter.. and not sure but probably a gallon of Merc outboard oil. Not sure what the EFI takes. Somewhere between $25 and $50

Of course this should have all been done BEFORE winter!

$153.00 is what they're charging at Hully Gully in London just for the sake of a price range... I believe they said that includes all the oils, filters and new spark plugs... I thought changing the plugs seemed kinda weird if they're already in working order.... :dunno:

I wouldn't take my worst enemies toys to Hully Gully after some of the horror stories I've heard about that place.

Live in Toronto. Just wondering how much should I expect for this kind of service. Willing to drive to Simcoe or Scugog area. First time doing this.

A good mechanic is a certified mechanic. There are a lot of 'marine mechanics' in the GTA who are not current certified.

Good certified mechanics (others are not) are busy this time of year so don't delay. Good certified mechanics are your friend. They charge the same hourly rate and warranty their work.

Two springs ago, while phone shopping for tune up pricing everyone was within 10% and I chose the shop that could do the service right away. In total, it turned out to be A Big Fat $1000 Mistakewallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gif A couple of weeks later, I ended up at my current mechanics shop and have been there ever since and will keep my future business there.

I have sent you a PM with a referral for the good guy and a warning for the other.

Regards,

Slayer

My brother in-law is a marine mechanic and works at City Marine on the queensway in toronto. You could give that shop a call, I know they are mercury dealer.

Sorry I don't have a clue on what they charge though.

Edited by torco

Do you buy car insurance, life insurance, house insurance? Buy piece of mind insurance!

A good, certified marine mechanic will do a whole lot more than just change the oil, filter, and plugs. He will run the engine up, he has the scanner to tell him what the engine is and has been doing, he will tweek it if required and be able to spot any potential problems before you get left stranded. I am a licensed small engine mechanic and I take my merc to a dealer for service. Save a few bucks now?? What did that motor cost you? What will it cost you if you have to get towed off the lake. I like Buckhorn Marine in Bobcayegon, they have always been fair with me and I like the quality of work that they do. They will give you an estimate.

Oh and before some smart ass claims I'm just trying to promote the trade, I pay full shop rate when I take it in and I do know where the oil filter is and then some!

What are you getting scanned Paul?? What's it tell you? I know how many hours are on my motor...it runs fine.. what's the scan tell you?

I know more about my Verado than the last two "certifed" Verado techs at the Marina. I had to show the first Verado Certified fella that there IS actually a drain plug for the engine oil.... but I did so after he attemped to suck the reservior dry with a suction gun.

I know more about my Verado than the last two "certifed" Verado techs at the Marina. I had to show the first Verado Certified fella that there IS actually a drain plug for the engine oil.... but I did so after he attemped to suck the reservior dry with a suction gun.

Sounds like something you would experience if Canadian Tire opened up a marine service bay... :blink: