TDunn

Last Wednesday I got back from my first ever trip to camp in Hornepayne during the winter. I have only been told horror stories of the gongshow it is to get into during the winter. Well, I don’t doubt them.

We were greeted with a ton of snow when we arrived at midnight! We didn’t know what to expect but to our surprise there was a huge, ploughed trail right to camp, the sauna and sheds with the fire started in the main camp. Yup, the new neighbours (who are now year round) are in my good books!

Got up the next day and met the people next door and gave them thanks. Then proceeded to do stuff around camp and get settled in for our short vacation. Headed out for the evening bite in front of camp and we landed a few smaller walleyes which we kept to eat with dinner the next day.

Snow...

140-1.jpg

110.jpg

I was up every morning.....alone....

Amy and Ted both slept in each day until noonish...

So, I had the mornings to get out and fish in front of camp then come in and start lunch.

Out of the 3 mornings I had out there alone....nothing big, all hammer handles and small walleye.

Breakfast!

134-1.jpg

218.jpg

My AM fishing buddy

160.jpg

Camp trophies

122-1.jpg

123-2.jpg

Once everyone was up and had eaten we headed out onto the ice for an hour or two before dinner.

This time was actually the hottest time of the day. There is a bay just down the shoreline and each afternoon we had a descent but not great walleye bite. Our flashers were basically lite up all day but there was a window in the afternoon that they actually came alive.

Amys first fish of the trip

147.jpg

Teds first

097.jpg

My first

095.jpg

A few other pics

Tip-up pike

150-1.jpg

204.jpg

203.jpg

194.jpg

205.jpg

144.jpg

193.jpg

152.jpg

199.jpg

All in all it wasn’t a bad trip but the fishing wasn't as hot as I had expected. A little short for how far we had to travel and the effort it took to get settled in and out of camp....but I’d do it again in a heartbeat!

Since that trip I have been out twice. Once for steelies through the ice which resulted in four guys being skunked. Two days before that trip we had ventured in to LSPP for probably our last crack at trout up there on the ice. My cousin Mike and I took 2 park newbs in for a day of specks. Well we got to the lake and we had 24 landed in the first hour and a half. At the end of the day we had landed 49 specks.It felt good to leave the park on a high note for the year!

007-1.jpg

004.jpg

average size 12-14"

003-2.jpg

017-3.jpg

019-2.jpg

022.jpg

Around lunch that day Mike and I hiked into the next lake over.

We hooked 5 in two hours with mike being the only one to put put lakers on the ice.

010-3.jpg

A few trips on the ice left but I think its time to get my waders wet!

TDunn

Edited by TDunn

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Sweet... I saw your tracks in and around those parts... i believe you saw mine as well.

Crazy that one lake has slowly been taken over by those little lakers. A few years ago on the first weekend in May I caught 20 specks in one morning casting the trees on the eastern shoreline. Last year, not one speck was caught there, all lakers.

Nice report Tyler, some solid fishing there for sure! Noticed in that one pic a darter (I think) tipped with a minnow head on the tail treble? I've never tried that... but it sure seems to work. That walleye inhaled the bait! :clapping:

Ben,

Good eye! Had a hard time getting them to commit but it seemed if I bulked up abit with a minnow head on the rear treble is seemed to work on the odd one. I'm not 100% sure if it was the bigger profile or if it had to do with scent. Whatever it was it helped ice a few more.

Doc,

That trail almost killed me earlier on in the year.

It was a piece of cake with the trail you guys left. Thanks!

I have only fished that the lake with lake trout twice.

Ive only seen one speck. The rest have been LT's although we havent fished much shallower than 30 feet.

Thanks to all for the nice comments!

Edited by TDunn