Lake simcoe conditions

Fang

Hit IBP today with my son and hoped for a few hours fishing. The drive from oakville was horrendous until we hit bass pro. It was pouring rain and then turned to big slushy snowflakes right into Innisfil. Walked due east from the park out about 1.5 km. All the way out it was soft white ice with anywhere from 2-5 inches of water on top. Both of us were soaked to the skin from the heavy wet snow and the walk out. Fished for about 3 hours with only a couple bumps. Shoreline at the ramp was broken through and about 1 ft deep water. Several cars and trucks driving with huge water spray as they went buy

Ice was around 20" but really soft and white. Hopefully there will be enough cold to tighten things up

If I dont get out one more time,that would mean that the four holes I cut with my new auger were 100 bucks a piece. LOL Ya I can laugh,I paid for it.

Thanks for posting Paul.

You can always use it to plant bulbs in the yard.

Art

Guest gbfisher

You guys are diehard. Up here in barrie they are calling for below zero temps sun-tue. Do you think monday it'll be frozen back up? I'm considering one last trip out but not if I have to wear rain boots.

A lot of the water that was on top has already drained off. Tuesday should be good for one last kick at the can.

You can always use it to plant bulbs in the yard.

Art

That's not funny! :wallbash: Last year borrowed my neighbours 8" & took it to Hailburton. Could barely cut through the white stuff on top!

Thank goodness we found a cottage neighbour who lent us his old 4" (but razor sharp!) which we used for 2 days.

Upon return of the 8", he told me had been using it for post holes in his back yard!! :wallbash: :wallbash:

That's not funny! :wallbash: Last year borrowed my neighbours 8" & took it to Hailburton. Could barely cut through the white stuff on top!

Thank goodness we found a cottage neighbour who lent us his old 4" (but razor sharp!) which we used for 2 days.

Upon return of the 8", he told me had been using it for post holes in his back yard!! :wallbash: :wallbash:

Sorry but down here we would get more mileage out of it planting bulbs. :clapping: I do know what you mean I hate it when someone hands me a knife that is so dull you couldn't cut cheese with it. I am spoiled I have found the worlds greatest sharpener " The wicked Edge" but most will not spend that much unless they are obsessed by sharp knifes like me.

Art

You guys are diehard. Up here in barrie they are calling for below zero temps sun-tue. Do you think monday it'll be frozen back up? I'm considering one last trip out but not if I have to wear rain boots.

I would bet that it will be reasonably drained by Monday with the surface frozen, However, punky white ice never refreezes to the point of becoming really hard and safe again, it sort of hangs in limbo. The next warm days, rain or sun just degrade it more and more.

Hit IBP today with my son and hoped for a few hours fishing. The drive from oakville was horrendous until we hit bass pro. It was pouring rain and then turned to big slushy snowflakes right into Innisfil. Walked due east from the park out about 1.5 km. All the way out it was soft white ice with anywhere from 2-5 inches of water on top. Both of us were soaked to the skin from the heavy wet snow and the walk out. Fished for about 3 hours with only a couple bumps. Shoreline at the ramp was broken through and about 1 ft deep water. Several cars and trucks driving with huge water spray as they went buy

Ice was around 20" but really soft and white. Hopefully there will be enough cold to tighten things up

Aw the days with pops and not catching fish I still remember them, they are great no matter how bad things get! I'm sure he still enjoyed it! Give it a go on Sunday or Monday and it should be fine.

Rob C

Sorry but down here we would get more mileage out of it planting bulbs. :clapping: I do know what you mean I hate it when someone hands me a knife that is so dull you couldn't cut cheese with it. I am spoiled I have found the worlds greatest sharpener " The wicked Edge" but most will not spend that much unless they are obsessed by sharp knifes like me.

Art

Wow Art ... thats truly amazing .. I just googled "wicked edge" ... best system I have ever seen !

http://www.wickededgeusa.com/

I looked it up as well. I do a reasonable job on simple edges (Meaning: I can still count to 10, don't cut myself, and the edge doesn't get worse) but this looks interesting.

I looked it up as well. I do a reasonable job on simple edges (Meaning: I can still count to 10, don't cut myself, and the edge doesn't get worse) but this looks interesting.

The unit is excellent and I have tried many "systems" over the years. I found out about it from a knife maker who used it to sharpen his creations before sending them out to his customers.One of the down sides of diamondstones is, the diamondstone is only as good as the adhesive that bonds them to the board. My set is now 3 years old and the diamond stones are still cutting as well as they did when purchased. Since the system sharpens from both sides without moving the knife you can get an even bevel from both sides. Almost all of my knifes are trained at a 22 degree angle which puts a nice strong edge that will not dull as quickly. How sharp is sharp well with time and patients and a 1200 grit stone (optional) you can make an edge that is mirror bright and as sharp as a scalpel. If the cost bothers you ask a friend if he wants to split the cost you both will not be disappointed.

Art

The unit is excellent and I have tried many "systems" over the years. I found out about it from a knife maker who used it to sharpen his creations before sending them out to his customers.One of the down sides of diamondstones is, the diamondstone is only as good as the adhesive that bonds them to the board. My set is now 3 years old and the diamond stones are still cutting as well as they did when purchased. Since the system sharpens from both sides without moving the knife you can get an even bevel from both sides. Almost all of my knifes are trained at a 22 degree angle which puts a nice strong edge that will not dull as quickly. How sharp is sharp well with time and patients and a 1200 grit stone (optional) you can make an edge that is mirror bright and as sharp as a scalpel. If the cost bothers you ask a friend if he wants to split the cost you both will not be disappointed.

Art

This is mearly a copied and twisted about Lansky Knife Sharpening System that was developed here in Buffalo, NY over 20 years ago. But I'm sure both system work VERY well....I have also seen other different variations of the Lanksy Sytem from other copy cats.

http://www.lanskysharpeners.com/contact.php

Edited by Billy Bob

This is mearly a copied and twisted about Lansky Knife Sharpening System that was developed here in Buffalo, NY over 20 years ago. But I'm sure both system work VERY well....I have also seen other different variations of the Lanksy Sytem from other copy cats.

http://www.lanskysharpeners.com/contact.php

I have used the lansky system and it has a 7degree +/- tolerance which means the difference between sharp and wicked sharp. The Lansky is a very good system and for the price it does all it is billed as. The Wicked edge is machined to exact tolerances and the Diamond stones are made much better than the Lansky system. The Wicked Edge is not for the average person who wants to sharpen his knife it is for people that need an exact edge either because their job calls for it or they enjoy the challenge and the feel of an excellent edge. I have sharpened a few knifes at some of the Kitchens I do plumbing at and the Chefs all agree and have purchased this system for their own knife sharpening needs.

Art

was out today again on a solo trip, Off IBP it was great walking. If I had more energy I would have hoofed it over to Fox island but it looked really crowded over there. Cars still driving and hardly any water on top. The access at IBP for cars looked toast at the end of the day unless you had a larger 4x4. One small 4 door sitting on the ice trying to figure out how to get off.

It'll hold up good for ther next few days. Was -4 when I left and ice was forming a bit in the holes.