For the wood lovers

lew

I opened up the staircase leading down to the family room.

Cnv0971.jpg

Then I wanted to cap it off with a nice piece of wood so I went to the local lumber store and picked out a really interesting length of hard maple. I could see a nice grain in it but when I stained it and added a couple coats of urathane the grain popped right out really became beautiful and adds alot to the staircase.

Or am I the only one who finds this kinda stuff interesting ?? :lol:

Cnv0969.jpg

I worked at home depot for about half a year a little while ago and a lot of people always wanted the really clear pieces of hard wood like maple, oak, and poplar but personally i really like the unique pieces with a lot of grain in them. that is a really nice touch to the staircase. Good job Lew.

Heck no Lew !!! I love working with hardwood. Sometimes i go through every piece of wood in the bin, looking for one that 'says' something.

My favorite wood is birdsthumbsup_anim.gif eye maple. You did a fine job on the reno.Really Proclapping.gif

Years ago my bro went to work for a quality furniture refinisher so he could learn to refinish his guitars nicely. He turned me onto refinishing old furniture while he was at it. He made me promise to steer clear of valuable pieces though.

Anyway, I was amazed at how pretty some of the pieces came out when I took away the solid cover stain that used to be popular. The real grain on some of the pieces was gorgeous. We still have a set of three nesting tables in our livingroom. I get lots of comments on them. Originally they were covered by an almost black solid finish. It doesn't always work out so well though. Some of the pieces look like crap when you expose the grain but it's fun seeing what you get.

I didn't stick at it as stripping the little grooves and fancy bits properly was a pain in the butt.

JF

OK Lew, I just eyeballed this again...I'm coming to stay at your palace for a week this summer. :)

You know your welcome anytime Roy and don't forget to bring your fish'n pole :Gonefishing:

Yup, I'm working on that invite too Roy....

And you received your invite a long time ago John, you just need to get yourself & your better half up here :lol: