opinion on next world record

zman

LOL, I've been trying not to post GBay in these treads because it's probably the least pressured musky water out there, believe me there are no big fish out here, waste of time fishing the bay, all the big ones are in MN and Wisconsin I think people are getting Georgian and Green Bay mixed up, the big girls are over there with Brett Favre, Marc was just being nice.

When I mentioned Lake Ontario as a possibility, the lack of muskie fishing pressure was one of the reasons I considered it. Another was the wide variety of forage. I was also kinda thinking along the Bay of Quinte as a possible spot. the only way it will come from lake O though will be another O'brien scenario - next to nobody targets them there

Guest Trophymuskie

I was going to say in Marc's boat but he doesn't believe one exist. :worthy:

I'm sure one will be coming out of the great lakes fisheries in the not so distant future. Top 4 on my list would be GB, Ottawa, Larry and Nipissing.

Only problem I see is it most likely will be an OOS catch from some dude fishing for walleye with a tube. :wallbash:

I have to agree with your first post, fishdawg. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if the record came from Quinte. Although I agree with Marc T on his thread, the anomaly factor needs to figure in there as well. All it takes is one fish to become the next WR and it could surface in the same manner the smallie record was caught. Somewhere no-one expected and therefore didn't fish them. The only difference is that I think the next WR musky will come from a big body of water, not a small inland lake like the smallie was.

Ohiofisherman,yup I agree all wonderfull great big fish resources

The essentail elements needed for such an individual to attain such a size to surpass 60 pounds are lacking in most areas

In reality a 30 pound muskie is what should be the common goal which is attainable and has always been since the dawn of time the goal (minus the exageration that existed/still exists today :) )

I guess overtime looking at this and going beyond the species and looking in its blood line allowed further undertsanding of the realm of reality

Truth be a 40 to 45 pound is the true trophy

a 45 to 49 pounder is a unique capture which few will ever do without time

50 pounders,well your part of the chosen few

In end,where all equal whether we catch a world record or not

The World Record Will Never Be Caught By a Walleye Fisherman out of Season ;)

I'm going to pick Lake O. There's a few reasons. First is a lack of pressure and these fish will be much different. They will be nomads like the upper Niagara fish, but have a far greater food supply. There are less salmon about which is why we are seeing a spread of big walleye to area like where CCMT fishes or where I fish them. The reduction in competiton helps the musky. The zebra mussels will also help the musky. It allows for deeper weed growth for more ambush cover and at teh same time allows for better site attacks. The availability of hi-fat food like alwives and young trout and salmon will fatten these brutes up. The upper Niagara strain is the fastest growing musky in the country. Now that thye have nigrated downstream and are basically all over the lower Niagara and the mouth of the Niagara, these nomads will soon be a force to rreckon with. You can already see the takeover happening in the Whirlpool-Queenston corridor. There are tons of juveniles that are very aggressive eaters.

I'm going to pick Lake O. There's a few reasons. First is a lack of pressure and these fish will be much different. They will be nomads like the upper Niagara fish, but have a far greater food supply. There are less salmon about which is why we are seeing a spread of big walleye to area like where CCMT fishes or where I fish them.

Wouldn't that be something if muskie did begin to roam our spot....sweet!!! Guess I should start bringing the bigger rod/reel there...LOL.

I'm just speculating like everyone else, but my $$$$ goes to either the Larry or Georgian Bay.

After seeing some of the fish that Marc gets in his boat, plus some of the ones reported from the Bay, I think it shows the potential is there for a true brute.

Personally I'd hate to see someone purposely kill a giant just to get the record, but it would actually be nice to finally see an end to sooooooo many years of arguing, name calling and bickering.

I posted a blog entry about this topic. Here are my top 5. I'm surprised not many mention the French River when discussing world record musky. I'm heading up there at the end of June and there's a monster musky with my name on it.

1. St Lawrence River

2. Georgian Bay

3. Ottawa River

4. French River

5. Lake Nipissing

6. Lake St. Clair

FOTB

:Gonefishing:

• 7 months later...

There's too many golden horseshoe fisherman here that are betting on the places that everyone fishes. First of all, I bet that the current record won't be beaten. And if it does, I'll say that it comes from Northwestern Ontario. My long shot bet is Dryberry Lake. Under fished, has the habitat for huge Muskie growth, and has the history to boot. I've been there half a dozen times (fishing for Lake Trout, not Muskie) and the photos on the wall of the lodge are legendary. I'd hate to guess some of the weights of the fish in the photos. I've also had the opportunity to talk to some folks that have guided there for decades. A few of them have since passed away since I've talked to them a decade or so ago. The stories are incredible.

So, that's my bet. A long shot for sure.

Well like marc thorpe says,every year there are more muskies over 40lbs taken from the OTTAWA RIVER !!!!! :worthy::worthy::worthy: than anywhere else,there has also been 4 or 5 taken that are over 60lbs.. :blink::huh: ..oh man would that ever be nice !!...so i think either there or the st.lawrence or lake st.francis...and they are all connected,so thats where im going for a muskie trip next year for sure...the mighty ottawa river. B) ..man i love it there :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Well like marc thorpe says,every year there are more muskies over 40lbs taken from the OTTAWA RIVER !!!!!

I'd guess that's because there's more people targeting them each year. There's a price to be paid for that. But what do I know? I don't even fish Muskie.