Bowfin

TJQ

I'm working on a new site that gonna have information (eventually) on every species of fish available in Ontario. Im doing a bit of work every day am looking for a decent picture of a bowfin?? Anyone??

I found this pic online, it shows pretty well what one looks like, nasty ugly looking fish, I have seen them caught before at Frenchman's bay, but I have never caught one. Does anyone know if they are related to the dreaded "northern snakehead" that everyone is worrying about invading ontario waters from asia?

nickv_bowfin_011807a.jpg

Here is a Snakehead I caught last Summer in the USA

Photo0072.jpg

While scientifically not the same their habits and veracious appetite are equal. We have a section of the river were they are established and the forecast of doom and gloom has not appeared in 8 years since they were introduced accidentally.

Art

Okay...what's the difference between a ling bowfin and burbot?

Ling and burbot refer to a deep water mostly nocturnal fish that if often found in the vicinity of lake trout. Bowfin is a shallow water fish that is active in the day and is found in the same habitat as large mouth and pike. They have a similar shape but different colouration.

Ling aka Burbot are reputed to taste like lobster while bowfin are reputed to be very poor table fair.

Ling and burbot refer to a deep water mostly nocturnal fish that if often found in the vicinity of lake trout. Bowfin is a shallow water fish that is active in the day and is found in the same habitat as large mouth and pike. They have a similar shape but different colouration.

Ling aka Burbot are reputed to taste like lobster while bowfin are reputed to be very poor table fair.

Ate this bowfin....and would eat one again....wrapped in wontons and deep fried, it was like smoked pork!

n595006200_351346_878.jpg

Edited by johnnyb