Folyet man gets lifetime hunting ban

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Nice to see somebody getting a substantial punishment for once!

A Foleyet man has received a lifetime hunting suspension for using a firearm in an unsafe manner while hunting black bears.

Randy Gervais pleaded guilty to 13 charges under the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act, including two counts of using a firearm carelessly for hunting; four counts of hunting black bear without the authority of a license; four counts of obstructing a conservation officer by providing false information; one count of hunting black bear within 400 metres of a dump site; one count of trespassing for the purpose of hunting, and one count of transporting illegally killed wildlife.

All charges laid were a result of a 14-month investigation dating back to May 2009.

The court ordered the immediate cancellation and surrender of Gervais’ Ontario hunting license and that he be prohibited from possessing, applying for, and/or obtaining any Ontario hunting license for the rest of his life.

Gervais also received a lifetime ban on engaging or associating in any hunting-related activities, or possessing hunting-related sporting equipment in an area where game wildlife within Ontario.

Court heard that on four separate occasions between May 20 and July 8, 2009, Gervais shot and killed two bears and shot at another two bears in the Foleyet area.

One bear was shot in the middle of Young Street in Foleyet with a high-powered rifle.

The bullet passed through the bear in the direction of the local public school.

The second bear was shot at the Foleyet dump site, also with a high-powered rifle.

In this case, the bullet passed through the bear towards a public access road, two cemeteries, a church and an all-terrain vehicle trail that people frequently use.

The last two bears were shot near Maple Street Lodging in Foleyet, and one of the two bears was wounded in the shooting.

Gervais obstructed conservation officers during the investigation by telling them that three of the bears were shot in protection of property.

He denied any involvement in shooting the bear at the dump.

Gervais also trespassed on posted occupied land to hunt the Foleyet dump bear and illegally transported the bear shot on Young Street.

Justice of the Peace Alex Spence heard the case in the Ontario Court of Justice, Chapleau, on January 12, 2011.

To report a natural resources violation, call 1-877-TIPS-MNR (847-7667) toll-free any time or contact your local ministry officer during regular business hours.

You can also call Crime Stoppers anonymously at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).

"Gervais also received a lifetime ban on engaging or associating in any hunting-related activities, or possessing hunting-related sporting equipment in an area where game wildlife within Ontario".

That part seems a bit harsh, don't you think.....is he allowed a hunting hat or boots...how about a 4 wheeler or a hunting knife...what about binoculars....the list could go on and on...

Bob I am sure they will keep it within reason. Probably lots of fine print we do not see that allows him to own stuff like that.

This dude sounds like a train wreck. Glad to see they threw the book at him. Maybe that could deter a few cowboys.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

to be honest, if this guy shot a gun in a city at an animal more than once (with a school in the area no less), IMO i don't think he even deserves to own a hunting hat or binoculars. he's obviously not responsible enough for even those items.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Think I may just print that off, and post it on my no tresspassing signs.

If they don't read the no trespassing signs - do you think they'll take the time to read all that? :)

Not making light of any trespasser issues you may be having.

Wonder if there are any criminal code charges along with this? I'm no legal expert, and don't have all the facts, but I think he's kinda of lucky they charged him with carless use of a firearm for hunting under the FWCA and not careless use of a firearm under the criminal code. Or both.

Edited by timmeh

"that he be prohibited from possessing, applying for, and/or obtaining any Ontario hunting license for the rest of his life."

Doesn't seem like much of a punishment for this guy. He was already hunting without a license.

"that he be prohibited from possessing, applying for, and/or obtaining any Ontario hunting license for the rest of his life."

Doesn't seem like much of a punishment for this guy. He was already hunting without a license.

exactly so the NEXT time he gets caught ...they will give him two lifetime bans....

I would think the sentence following the one you quoted is the part of the ruling that gives a lot of authority to keep tabs on his activities as well as issue any secondary charges. I would have to suspect there is a chargable infraction if he is caught hunting with or without a lisence. Hopefully this give the MNR the clout to serve more severe penalties.

"Gervais also received a lifetime ban on engaging or associating in any hunting-related activities, or possessing hunting-related sporting equipment in an area where game wildlife within Ontario".

That part seems a bit harsh, don't you think.....is he allowed a hunting hat or boots...how about a 4 wheeler or a hunting knife...what about binoculars....the list could go on and on...

I think they mainly want to control this guys bad habits and lack of responsibility.If you own a hunting knive and hunting clothes, you are probably hunting.They left the terms vague on purpose i bet.

I think they mainly want to control this guys bad habits and lack of responsibility.If you own a hunting knive and hunting clothes, you are probably hunting.They left the terms vague on purpose i bet.

Hey C.C.

I see a LOT of guys wearing their hunting clothes ice fishing... :whistling:

I suspect this had very little to do with hunting, and more just a dude that is pissed off at nuisance bears, and had his screen door ripped of more than once. He is probably an angry man who feels that the government is doing nothing to stem the problem, and said screw it, I'll just start gunning them down in the street when I see them. I suspect, although don't know, that he is a bit of a local hero for doing it! The trespass charge likely stems from the dump shooting. I could almost guess it was an eartag bear that had been relocated, and was known for being a problem animal. This is what I get from reading between the lines. There is nothing about hunting in this story if you ask me, other than the charges that where issued.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Hey C.C.

I see a LOT of guys wearing their hunting clothes ice fishing... :whistling:

dude, you live in NYS. i've seen the pulaski area! all the hill people wear that crap year round down there!