What's your favorite steak cut?? And doneness?

Burtess

81 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite steak cut for special occasions?

• T-Bone / Porterhouse
    • Ribeye / Rib
    • Striploin (NY Strip)
    • Top Sirloin
    • Filet (aka Tenderloin, aka Chateaubriand)
    • Hanger
    • Other (explain)
  2. 2. And how do you like said steak done?

• Blue
    • Rare
    • Medium rare
    • Medium
    • Medium well to well (destroy that sucker!)

I'd rather a prime rib roast medium rare than steak...sometimes I'll cut off a couple of steaks before putting into oven if it is a large roast for BBQing another day...

Don't have it much married to a vegetarian but luckily she eats fish and dairy...clapping.gif

A nice fat striploin, blue/rare..

I've been cooking my steak in the oven as of late with a cast iron skillet. I gotta say it rivals the BBQ...

Pre-heat oven to 500 degrees with the skillet inside.

Steak needs to be room temp with a little salt/pepper.

Take skillet out of oven and place over high heat on burner, 30 seconds on one side, then back in the oven for 1 mins.

Flip and another 1 minute, then rest for 5 mins before cutting into it.

Perfect steak.

:worthy:

Like mine more medium thought. Friend of mine just opened a butcher shop in town and carries some AAA natural local beef and the steaks have been consistently excellent.

We,ll be having,(and dont tell the mrs,s Im buying this for her,she kills me everytime I buy one for her) a 5 pound lobster and some nice other crestations from the sea.I like the rib cut myself med.Gots to have a nice marble look to it though,and some fat grain in it for flavor.

I would suggest you would be better off getting 5 one pound lobsters that on 5 pounder. The flavour is MUCH better in a smaller lobster than in an old market sized lobster IMHO.

For those of you that grill your steak "hot and fast" to somewhere in the vicinity of med-rare give this a try....

On thick cuts (ribeyes!!), say around 2", try a "reverse sear". Bank the coals to one side (or for gas grills one side on high, one side on med/low) and lay the room temp steak on the cool side. Cook on the cool side until the steak warms and starts to grey on the outside. This gives time for the enzymes in the steak to "activate" and start tenderizing the meat before they are deactivated by heat. After the steak is fully warmed, transfer to the hot side to carmelize the outer layer for flavour. It is a myth that searing seals in juices, you sear for flavour. This will give you a steak with a very even cook.... med. rare throughout... no grey outsides and blue insides.

Give it a shot.

Burt :)

I would suggest you would be better off getting 5 one pound lobsters that on 5 pounder. The flavour is MUCH better in a smaller lobster than in an old market sized lobster IMHO.

The ones I get are brought up fresh from the east coast.If yer ever in the area,stop by Johnnys seafood. Amazing place.

I work for a company that makes a beautiful chipotle rub. I rub that all over a nice Delmonico (rib eye) from Buckingham's Butcher in the shwa and

cook it over a hot grill for 6 to 7 minutes per side depending on how thick to a perfect medium rare every time.

Make sure you only flip the steak once. mmmmmmmmm good!!

Hey, try this, I've been doing it for quite awhile, I actually had it tonight

buy a cheap steak, age it

let it sit in the fridge until it turns a greenish/ grey and then bar b q

sounds kinda gross, but it will be tender and taste like a premium cut, my steak tonight cost $2.50, I've never been ill from doing this, after the steak is cooked it looks great, I just sprinkle with club house Montreal (I don't like the Habs though) steak spice before cooking

I love a nice 1.5-2" T bone but for all around easy cookin steak its hard to beat a strip we would buy them uncut and do it at home which is always great as the wife likes a thinner 1" so i can make them how ever needed. Med Rare for me or closer to the rare side is not a problem.

Some spice montreal or other that i have is great.

Well its off to the store for some ribs that are on sale as we are having them for the wifes side of Christmas on the 26th we always do something different as 3 days of turkey sucks.

Can you say Pavlov's dog? I stopped reading this post after the first 6 or so responses because it was making me so hungry. Now I don't even have open it, I just have to see the title and my mouth starts to water. Anybody else hear that bell?

My go to steak is strip loin, or any of the other names it goes by. But who would limit themselves to just one cut all the time?

I cut meat since I was 13 all the way through university. I can tell you this, the most flavourful juicy steak is a nice thick 1.5-2 inch Rib Steak (gotta have the bone for the extra flavour it imparts to the meat). Only some Garlic Salt and a bit of black pepper cooked over Sugar Maple.

Meat is different now then it was in the early 90's and earlier. Back then, we used to dry age it for a minimum of 21 days before breaking up the hinds and fronts. Now it comes precut in boxes and is wet aged. Don't let anyone and I mean anyone tell you that wet aging is better. The old school steakhouses used to dry age their own meat in their coolers until mould was growing on the fat. Once cut and trimmed, those steaks didn't need a knife, a fork would suffice.

With boxed beef these days, butchers are increasingly becoming a rare breed. My old neighbour who owns Upper Cut Meats in the St Lawrence market laments that he can't find a good boner (yeah yeah, don't laugh, that is the guy who makes the money for the butcher shops, he trims the steaks and bones and makes hamburger). All the big chain stores sell boxed beef or pre cut pre packaged beef. At most, they just need someone to slice it and package it. Ask these guys to break up a hind and they'll look at you kinda funny. Back in the days of Knob Hill Farms, we kept the chain stores honest on their pricing, anyone price out steaks lately??? They are more than double what they used to be and you know what, the farmers are getting the same money for the cows if not less, go figure. The money is all going to the packers and retailers. We are getting hosed.

As for the poster above who buys the reduced steaks that are grey on the verge of going green, you've got the right idea. BUT don't cook a green steak, that's gone bad or is pretty close, don't take the chance on that. Grey and dark are more preferable than bright red. The problems these days with E Coli are serious and are only going to get worse with the corn fed beef we have now, cows aren't supposed to be fed corn, they are supposed to eat grass. Feed them what they are supposed to eat and then they don't need antibiotics, grass diets reduce E Coli by over 95%. Only problem, grass diets result in more inconsistent and slightly tougher meat something which we as a society don't like. We want our steaks and all our food for that matter to look perfect.

Hey, try this, I've been doing it for quite awhile, I actually had it tonight

buy a cheap steak, age it

let it sit in the fridge until it turns a greenish/ grey and then bar b q

sounds kinda gross, but it will be tender and taste like a premium cut, my steak tonight cost $2.50, I've never been ill from doing this, after the steak is cooked it looks great, I just sprinkle with club house Montreal (I don't like the Habs though) steak spice before cooking

Be VERY careful with this...

Aging a single steak is not recommended, either wet or dry.

Generally it is safe to "wet age" a larger cut of beef in cryovac in the fridge, this will tenderize the meat but will not enhance flavour.

Dry aging a cut of meat at home is some work... you need to have it out and free to dry, covered in cheese cloth, in the fridge. The cheese cloth should be changed daily and you should use the cut within a week. Before cooking you need to cut off the dried areas. Dry aging will remove moisture from the cut and concentrate flavours.

Doing this either way will not result in green meat (???), it will still be red and fresh looking after trimming.

Burt :)

Edited by Burtess

I cut meat since I was 13 all the way through university. I can tell you this, the most flavourful juicy steak is a nice thick 1.5-2 inch Rib Steak (gotta have the bone for the extra flavour it imparts to the meat). Only some Garlic Salt and a bit of black pepper cooked over Sugar Maple.

Meat is different now then it was in the early 90's and earlier. Back then, we used to dry age it for a minimum of 21 days before breaking up the hinds and fronts. Now it comes precut in boxes and is wet aged. Don't let anyone and I mean anyone tell you that wet aging is better. The old school steakhouses used to dry age their own meat in their coolers until mould was growing on the fat. Once cut and trimmed, those steaks didn't need a knife, a fork would suffice.

With boxed beef these days, butchers are increasingly becoming a rare breed. My old neighbour who owns Upper Cut Meats in the St Lawrence market laments that he can't find a good boner (yeah yeah, don't laugh, that is the guy who makes the money for the butcher shops, he trims the steaks and bones and makes hamburger). All the big chain stores sell boxed beef or pre cut pre packaged beef. At most, they just need someone to slice it and package it. Ask these guys to break up a hind and they'll look at you kinda funny. Back in the days of Knob Hill Farms, we kept the chain stores honest on their pricing, anyone price out steaks lately??? They are more than double what they used to be and you know what, the farmers are getting the same money for the cows if not less, go figure. The money is all going to the packers and retailers. We are getting hosed.

As for the poster above who buys the reduced steaks that are grey on the verge of going green, you've got the right idea. BUT don't cook a green steak, that's gone bad or is pretty close, don't take the chance on that. Grey and dark are more preferable than bright red. The problems these days with E Coli are serious and are only going to get worse with the corn fed beef we have now, cows aren't supposed to be fed corn, they are supposed to eat grass. Feed them what they are supposed to eat and then they don't need antibiotics, grass diets reduce E Coli by over 95%. Only problem, grass diets result in more inconsistent and slightly tougher meat something which we as a society don't like. We want our steaks and all our food for that matter to look perfect.

Excellent info, especially about the corn fed critters.