Karma... it is a three way street correct?

irishfield

Kelvin.. see if your wife can get a script for Stemetil (anti-nausea pill), for when she goes home. It's been MIA at the pharmacies for almost 4 months... but it just came in (at least at Mt Sinai) on Tuesday.

Edited by irishfield

ROCK FOR CURE IS COMING SOON FOLKS. :good:

Yes it is Brian.. Crohn's and Colitis fund raiser in Barrie. Same place as last year, Friday Feb 18th @ 8pm. They need all the help they can get raising funds. They've tried to get on the LCBO / BEER store rotation for the... "would you like to donate $2".. but have been denied... unlike Cancer, Sick Kids , etc. All great causes that need research money, but Crohn's is always left with the short straw.

• 3 weeks later...

Day 4 of 6 down.. of her 4th chemo treatment (6 more to go). MRI from Friday shows that her tumour is about 5/8th's the size it was in October... so the chemo is definitely working. She walks with barely a limp. :thumbsup_anim:

Surgery... we thought was possibly after the 4th chemo and Jen was psych'd up for it..... but the surgeon is off heli skiing in BC and Oncologist thinks with what MAY happen that Jennifer will end up immobilized for 8 to 12 weeks and he can't do chemo if she's immobilized, but can't consult with the AWOL surgeon to be sure what the plan is. Oncol leaves on Holidays Monday for a week.. so nothing looks like it will happen before next chemo scheduled for the 16th of Feb.

We continue a day at a time...

Edited by irishfield

• 3 weeks later...

Well a day that was both disappointing and humbling, filled with lots of :(:( (Sorry to the few I haven't called back today, I'm not in the mood)

Disappointment... with today being the second time in 3 weeks we were promised that the surgeon would fill Jennifer (and us) in on what the surgery plan was and when... only to have the surgeon come into her room quickly... have his phone ring and then blow us off telling her that she couldn't expect him to explain it to her in a minute, so to call his receptionist and have her book a time slot for him during the next time Jen is in for Chemo on March 7th... so put off for another 3 weeks to worry about it.

Humbling part 1.. watching her usual roomy.. a women that is 4 months younger than myself with sarcoma in her leg. She had surgery first and then was supposed to have 5 chemo sessions. She's had 3.. and the 3rd almost killed her dropping all her blood counts including platlets to zilch. She was told her body can't handle anymore chemo and to go home... with the hope that 3 sessions was enough to put it in remission.

Humbling part 2.. watching the 21 year old girl straight across from Jen get the news that the chemo isn't killing the sarcoma in her arm and they will have to amputate her left arm/shoulder and partial rib cage. She also found a lump in her sternum area yesterday and if this weeks biopsy finds that to be cancer has spread to her lungs, then there will be no surgery.. she' ll be sent home to get her things in order.

:(

Edited by irishfield

Well a day that was both disappointing and humbling, filled with lots of :(:( (Sorry to the few I haven't called back today, I'm not in the mood)

Disappointment... with today being the second time in 3 weeks we were promised that the surgeon would fill Jennifer (and us) in on what the surgery plan was and when... only to have the surgeon come into her room quickly... have his phone ring and then blow us off telling her that she couldn't expect him to explain it to her in a minute, so to call his receptionist and have her book a time slot for him during the next time Jen is in for Chemo on March 7th... so put off for another 3 weeks to worry about it.

I know the waiting sucks. Here's hoping that everything works out in the end for your daughter.

Mike G.

sad.gif The waiting game is a cruel frustrating thing to live through Wayne.Doctors seem to forget about that.

We,your friends, are with you now and through all that the future holds. Be strong in the eyes of your familly Wayne, but take time to address your emotions as well.You ARE NOT alone.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Wayne,

I've tried to think of what to say in the past months regarding what you've been going through. I try to give my support through status updates and forum posts but I don't always know what to say.

I've racked my brain trying to think of just the right thing to say that will make me feel less sad and you feel as strong as you seem to the rest of us...

Yesterday I realized that all I can say is that we all hope everything works out and that in the same situation I hope I could be half the man you are.

Lucas

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Wayne: There are no words that can be enough to share in a time like this for you and your family.

So I will share a poem from my client's son:

UNDERSTANDING PEOPLE

A SET OF STANDARDS BY WHICH TO JUDGE

TO THEIR FRIENDS, THEY GIVE A NUDGE

WHEN THEY SEE ME COME THEIR WAY,

THEY STOP AND WALK THE OTHER WAY

OR EVEN WORSE, THEY STOP AND STARE

AS IF I'M STUPID AND UNAWARE.

IF ONLY THEY COULD KNOW, THAT I CARE;

HOW PEOPLE VIEW ME--IT'S JUST NOT FAIR!

I FEEL THE VERY SAME AS OTHERS DO,

THEY SHOULD TRY AND WALK IN MY SHOE.

LIFE'S NOT EASY, WHEN THE BODY THAT YOU OWN

WAS GIVEN TO YOU BROKEN-DOWN.

THEY MAY BE MEAN; THEY MAY BE CRUEL; THEY MAY BE BAD;

BUT MOST OF ALL...THEY JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND.

WITH SOME TIME AND SPECIAL GUIDANCE;

WE CAN HAVE A GREAT ALLIANCE.

FOR AN HOUR, OR FOR A DAY;

WE ALL NEED FRIENDS ALONG THE WAY.

SO WHEN YOU SEE ME COME ALONG

TRY NOT TO FOCUS ON WHAT IS WRONG;

I AM A PERSON JUST LIKE YOU,

WHO NEEDS AND DESERVES A GOOD FRIEND TOO.

JUST WALK BESIDE ME STRAIGHT AND TALL

AND BE THE FRIEND THAT I CAN CALL

WHEN I AM LONELY AND AFRAID.

JUST REMEMBER WHAT I'VE SAID:

ALL YOU NEED IS TO UNDERSTAND;

DO NOT JUDGE JUST TAKE MY HAND.

Bill Hiltz

A picture of my client:

OfficialpicofBillH-1.jpg

Wayne,,, we may not understand... but our hands are here for you to take when ever u wish to take them.

Sincerely,

Splashhopper

Hey Brother - I'd take the fact that you can't seem to garner much attention from the Docs as a good sign.

I hate waiting at the best of times, so I can try and imagine how your feeling.

Keep on keepin' on, man. There's no question that you're a great source of strength of your girl, and the rest of your family. Strength and love.

Hang tough - we're all sending' good vibes!

• 3 weeks later...

Felt compelled to update those that truely seem to care here on OFC.

We're 3 days into Chemo #6.. 3 days to go. Then 4 more chemo's ending late into May. Surgeon has been in and spent an hour or more with us late Monday night. Willing to work around the first wedding Jennifer "needs" to be at in June and then he must get on with surgery about 3 weeks into June and hopes she's healed enough to be maid of honour for a wedding in September.

Because her bone tumour is covering most, if not all of her right pelvic bone and also crossing the "line" into her sacrium (sp) bone.. they must remove all of the r pelvic and as much of the sacrium as they can without hitting the nerves beside the spine. This leaves nothing to bolt anything to.. so there will be no replacement of any kind. It is expected that the scar tissue and the existing muscles will hold the leg on and that hopefully in time she will be able to put her body weight on the right leg. Looking like 4 to 8 weeks in hospital after surgery.. lots of rehab.. maybe walking with weight on leg in 6 months or so. In the mean time a walker.. then polio style crutches.. then crutches. then hopefully cane and then god please walking with a lift in her shoe.

A real hard kick for someone with a gymnastics background and 3 times per week volleyball playing up until this started. But she can't play if she's dead either. Something that she's definitely not ignorant to the fact of. Happy that it sounds like there'll be no radiation and she has a great chance of still being able to have kids. Going to be interesting without half a pelvic bone, but it sounds like it can be done with supports.

We now know that she's definitely in the best hospital for cancer surgery in Canada. We know that as her next door neighbour Monday/Tuesday and until this morning was "Mr Smith".. aka Jack La yt on and he could go anywhere he wanted. Was hoping to talk heath care with Jack this morning, but he was discharged early this am. As much as I can't stand the guy I wish Jack the best, he left on crutches this morning which suggest his prostate cancer has spread to elsewhere requiring more surgery that he had either last week or over the weekend. He was already there when we arrived Monday am.

Just when you think you have your emotions in check and your head wrapped around all this this afternoon they posted another death notice, on the sarcoma unit cork board, for a young girl from Belleville. Succumed to her osteosarcoma on Feb 10th. just 6 week shy of her 16th birthday.. it's just not right.

Thanks for your shoulders folks! :)

Edited by irishfield

Hey Bud.I will be praying overtime for her from now on. in the mean time here is a song by Craig Morgan that i heard a few months ago and it made me think of Jen. Different circumstances but the song is about her none the less.

Paul