What Do You Folks Do When This Happens?

Canuck2fan

There was a post on the board recently that got me thinking about how other people handle situations like this.

Last week the guy who taught me how to fish for chrome and I were out. I had just landed a 3lb male and we decided to move. He moved first, had cast out tightened the line and turned to walk back to get his net and cooler bag. I was walking towards my new spot and as I passed him I noticed his rod was moving but it looked his small sinker had just settled with the current. I didn't say anything because I didn't want to look stupid if it wasn't a fish. By this time he is about 30ft away and not even looking over his shoulder. I get about 5ft from his rod and it really starts to dance. I manage to grap the butt when it is about 10 inches off the ground and the whole rod is about 2 seconds from going swimming. I set the hook and yell fish on. He yells back "You $@#*" Obviously assuming I had another fish on my gear. I laugh and ask, What are you talking about? Then admit to him, "It's on your line therefore your fish!!!". He drops the net and everything and runs over to take the rod. He lands a beautiful 6lb female bow. Despite my poor netting techniques LOL. I find out after that NO ONE else he fishes with ever gives up a rod when they set the hook no matter who's rod..... I thought it was the right thing to do especially since he had done the same thing for me last November on the very first bow I ever caught. Not to mention the fact that I had gotten a fish minutes before and the last 3 times we had been out while he had gone 5 trips and not caught one....

I was amazed at the reaction of a lot of people who told me how dumb I was for handing over the rod. I really wouldn't have felt right not handing it over though.

So I was just wondering what do people on here do when this happens to them?

....The only dumb thing here is leaving a rod in the water unattended, you should of let the fish drag it in. :rolleyes:

You may also have been in trouble with the MNR if they'd been around for fishing with two lines. I know, I know you only tried to help your friend, MNR would have seen it differently.

This summer I took my cousin out for his FIRST carp fishing adventure - but after a stop at canadian tire for his licence a stop at the store for colts, and another for beer the sun had practically set. So, we set up anywyas, i'm sittin back enjoying my colt and cold beer when he goes "DUDE YOUR ROD" (which was in the rod holder thats part of my chair) so I say grab it man you saw it. An he lands his first ever monster carp!

SO, GOOD FOR YOU! if there's such a thing as good karma than you'll get it!

Cheers,

UF

No problem, he was distracted for some reason or another, but shouldn't have been, and you were in the right place at the right time to rescue his setup.

Good on you, and let your bud know to take more care and be more attentive.

Its his rod that the fish hit on, his fish to fight, and land or lose.

Unless, you had your line in the water at the same time.

what you kinda described above sounds like party fishing, and is not allowed by law, ie: "I find out after that NO ONE else he fishes with ever gives up a rod when they set the hook no matter who's rod..... "

Sounds like a fishing trip on a charter on Lake O, that may be allowed as the charter guys provide all the gear, but not on a trib. on land.

If you did not have your line in the water at the time, you could have legitimatelly landed the fish yourself, and claimed it as yours if you decided to keep it. There may be some interpretation of the law here, I might be a bit off base, but I don't think so if your line was not in the water at the time.

At least you saved your bud from the embarrasment of losing his gear.

I have never had that scenario happen to me on a trib though, ice fishing once way back when yes, lol. My "bud" had to relieve himself, and his line went down nearer to me than him. I set the hook, then yelled at him. I was probably in an infraction of the law at the time, but did not think about it at the time, as I was attending both of my lines at the same time.

But since he was on shore, grunting away, and the line was spooling off at high speed, I just reacted.

We do not let that scenario happen now. Lines are pulled for "relief".

When we are out downrigging when the first fish hits your rod it's your fish, when the 2nd fish hits if it's on your rod the first guy to it ( not including the guy who'd rod it is ) gets the fish until everyone has a fish. After that from then on, your rod your fish. Our rule in tourneys is any money prize, everyone on the boat shares the amount equally, but if the prize is an item ( rod, reel, outboard etc. ) then it's your prize.

When out for Smallmouth, Walleye etc if your, lets say indisposed, anyone can grab the rod and your in charge of their rod until the fish is landed.

Edited by Garyv

I'm surprised people would worry about whose fish it is. If I was in that situation, for sure I would turn the rod over to the other guy, but knowing my fishing partners, they'd insist I bring it in. There are enough fish out there for everyone. When I get out in the boat, I'm just happy to see fish get caught, doesn't matter if I'm getting them or my partner. Maybe the fact I don't keep/eat fish has something to do with my attitude, but I'm perfectly happy being the net guy

....The only dumb thing here is leaving a rod in the water unattended, you should of let the fish drag it in. :rolleyes:

You may also have been in trouble with the MNR if they'd been around for fishing with two lines. I know, I know you only tried to help your friend, MNR would have seen it differently.

Spiel- The MNR could NOT HAVE done a thing because at the time my line was safely on the beach not near the water, but I take your point....

As long as you and your buddy are okay with each other, it doesn't matter what you decided to do or what the "right" thing to do was.

Never comes up with me b/c I never leave my rod unattended. If I'm taking a break to eat lunch or something, my line's out unless we're trolling.

Mike

If I see a unsupervised rod going off I'll sprint to it like I'm being chased by the cozzers. Sherriff will back me up. Last year ice fishing he rigged the tip ups to go off just to see me run for 'em. Then he laughed and continued drinking his coronas. Watch out for that guy.

Good thinking. It makes oodles of sense if the fish being caught was a highly prized and/or trophy fish. You can't just let the rod swim, you don't fish stealhead with crappy gear.

Most guys spend tons of money on their setup and it would be negligent to nothing or very little. You made the right decision in the nick of time. Keep on keeping on and being quick on ur feet.

These threads are a great learning tool, keep them coming.

While fishing for catfish My brother and I will have four rods off the back of the boat. They are from right to left rod 1,2 are mine and 3,4 are his. If 1 or 2 rod goes off then I am the fisherman if another rod goes off then both of us become the fisherman. If the fish are hitting the inside poles more than the outside poles then you rotate poles every other fish. After all no matter who initiates a high five you both feel the slap of your hand and the excitement of a nice fish caught.

Art