Mercury Outboards

MCTFisher9120

Hello everybody I have a few questions and another plan in action for next season, here it goes. I have a 12' aluminum boat that I am eager to put a motor onto but I need to save up at least a couple hundred for a motor. I would like to buy a motor and make a few large payments on it next April. So save up little chunks of money all school year for a down payment then make a few dollars when I am out of out of school next summer and buy a little brand new outboard.

My boat says it's rated for a max of a 10hp. She's old but very wide and sturdy. I have experimented with the sturdyness of the boat this summer and have decided I want to put a casting deck in it also up front so I want to keep the weight down with a motor.

Mercury...I have been looking at their 2010 4 stroke 6hp and 8hp. The 6hp is set at only 55lbs and it aprox 2k but not sure. They do not list their prices online like Honda and Yamaha. I'm looking for a email address or somebody that knows the full price of both the 6 and 9hp outboards. Manual start short shaft is all i need.

The countless hours of trolling motor travel time has me sick haha. I got a family member lined up to re paint the boat in his shop. Shiny black on the outside and pearl white on the inside with nice chrome trimming on the existing capped aluminum. A deck ill worry about once I get the motor on it next season.

Any insight on this topic. I know I think what I want and I'm sure lot's of members will tell me to go with a 9.9 to max the boat out. The thing here is added weight from trolling motor, batteries, and a casting deck I want the weight at the back to be as light as possible.

Thanks for reading, hope I get some advice on this topic. My summer report will be posted on the weekend some time so keep a eye out guys.

Mike B)

I agree , go with the 2 stroke if weight is an issue. I have a 8hp merc. on my 12' and it has been great.

If you can afford it go with the 9.9hp because I think they are around the same weight.

4 strokes are nice but a bit bigger/heavier and more money then 2 strokes !

My grandpa has a 12' aluminum with a 6Hp Merc he bought new last summer.

It's a little groggy getting up on plane with two people in the boat. If you add the extra weight of a casting platform, and a trolling motor/battery, you’re going to feel under powered for sure.

The 6hp tolls very slow, and is nearly silent. Not to mention it's great on gas. I wouldn't be putting a trolling motor on there with the gas motor. I guess if your getting in to weeds looking for those buckets though, you may want a trolling motor..

As previously mentioned, a 9.9 2 stroke would be a much better fit if you’re adding the weight of a trolling motor and casting deck. There not a very heavy motor either IMO.

Edited by F-is-H

I started out with a 12 footer that had a 5.5 on it.

I would go with a 9.9 2 stroke also if I were to buy another boat that size.

One year just laughs we put my buddies 15 Evinrude on it. :w00t:

It went like a raped ape with two of us and our gear.

I wouldn't recomend it though. :lol:

Mike.

My opinion on a casting deck in a 12 ft is too much. It may make your boat dangerous.

Also defeating the purpose of a 12ft which is supposed to be light to carry into backwater lakes, rivers and ponds.

I agree on a 2 stroker. If you can find a Johnson/Evinrude 9.9 would be ideal. Excellent power to weight ratio and very good reliability.

If you insist on a casting deck, save your coins a little longer and get a 14ft.

You could buy a used 14fter with motor and trailer, for the same price as a new 8HP. Just sayin......a buddy of mine just got a 14ft with an 18hp for $750. Works great too!!

S.

That's the approach I would go. Apart from the increased comfort and safety of a 14 footer over a 12, you may have a tough time finding any dealer who will let you make payments on a small outboard the way you described. There's very little markup on those - most dealers will want you to just put it on a credit card or pay cash. Keeping track of some guy's payments is more of an inconvenience than it's worth on a smaller purchase like that.

if you have your heart set on a new outboard, then so be it....

but as mentioned maybe try and find a good used setup....from your posts I've gathered you fish a lot around lindsey, omeemee, kawarthas in general?....went to school there myself and was always sweet deals popping up all the time

as for casting deck in a 12' boat, i don't think it would make it dangerous...i added one and just trimmed a piece of plywood to shape(front bench forward), cut out two small holes on teh back of the bench seat, wing nutted the deck in place(with a few supports underneath) and essentially a floating casting deck, easy to remove or install when you want it there and minimal weight.....wasn't anything highly elaborate or permanent, which was how we wanted it, but if you're adding a lot of weight with your casting deck maybe something to consider,

you don't seem like a man of petite stature and if your fishing buddies aren't either than you will absolutely be cursing a 6hp if you're moving spots or trying to cover some water

Hey Mike,

I have a 12' with a 1997 2 stroke 9.9 merc. My boat is only rated for a 10 hp aswell. My motor works great and I thoroughly enjoy it. I think you would be fine putting a casting deck in it as long as you use common sense when you go to use it on the water. I weigh 175lbs and am always up front standing on the seat..just haven't gotten around to making a platform. I definately would go with a 9.9. With 3 large guys in the boat I find it gets very sluggish.

Thanks for the replys guys. The casting deck will be a simple piece of plywood being layed ontop of the middle and front bench seat. I will move my bucket seat thing onto a small pedestal post thing in the center of it. Essentially bringing the seating from the tip of the boat back a foot or two.

As for people in the boat, 2 guys my size are fine in the boat. Now I'll be able to stand on a flat surface up front while the other guy can stand in the back of the boat now on the flat floor. Total added weight maybe 10-15lb...not sure really.

My main goal here is to get a new motor on the back of the boat and the new paint job. Aside from that a deck will be something for another time.

As for payments I will most likely put down 500 or so on the motor and have the rest payed off 1 month into the summer. 2k wont be much but ill prob leave the motor there and make 2....maybe 3 payments on it max.

Thanks for the reply's everybody. I'll post pictures of the paint job in a few weeks or so, its going to be looking very spiffy :P

Definitely get at least a 9.9 man. Go Yammy with 100:1 mix is the best compromise for a 2 stroke.

You definitely need the power if you start adding big guys, casting decks and trolling motors/batteries in there. Plowing water is not fun.

Your "9.9" moved us along fine on Sunday!

Thanks for the replys guys. The casting deck will be a simple piece of plywood being layed ontop of the middle and front bench seat. I will move my bucket seat thing onto a small pedestal post thing in the center of it. Essentially bringing the seating from the tip of the boat back a foot or two.

As for people in the boat, 2 guys my size are fine in the boat. Now I'll be able to stand on a flat surface up front while the other guy can stand in the back of the boat now on the flat floor. Total added weight maybe 10-15lb...not sure really.

My main goal here is to get a new motor on the back of the boat and the new paint job. Aside from that a deck will be something for another time.

As for payments I will most likely put down 500 or so on the motor and have the rest payed off 1 month into the summer. 2k wont be much but ill prob leave the motor there and make 2....maybe 3 payments on it max.

Thanks for the reply's everybody. I'll post pictures of the paint job in a few weeks or so, its going to be looking very spiffy :P

I don't know if Merc Dealers will finance a small amount like that.

Mike,

do what you feel is best for you but this is my recommendation on your issue.

I own a 12 foot deep and wide mirro craft that I use for back lake fishing.

I use a 5 hp honda (4stroke) or a 6 hp evinrude (2 stroke) on it. Both are painfully slow but Im not travelling much for distance usually. Now, I try and borrow my buddys 9.9 anytime I can. I'm not sure how far you plan to go but I would save your payments and buy a used 14 with a 15hp as already recommended. $2000 can get you a mint 14 footer/motor/trailer.

You already have the electric for working areas. Its really now a matter of how fast you want to get there.

The casting platform is going to slow you down and your ever growing tackle/rod/reel collection is gonna need room also....Don't forget the full gas tank, battery, fishfinder, cooler for drinks/food, lifejackets, safety kit and your partners gear. That 12 feet of boat can fill up quick.

Ive spent a lot of time in a 12 foot boat and a 14 sometimes feels like it's 4 feet bigger rather than 2. If you stick with the 12, 9.9 2 stroke all the way!

Again, this is my recommendation to you from my own experience. Whatever you do, Im sure you will be happy because either option is gonna help you catch more fish.

Looking forward to your report man,

take care

TDunn

Edited by TDunn

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

MtBF,

Grew up fishing out of a 12' starcraft with a 5 horse.

The platform idea is something I toyed with when I was a teen. It made the boat very sluggish and even a little dangerous.

I'll support the guys saying to get a 14. These days I rip around in a 14' with a 15hp and it's not even comparable. Even with one of my heaviest friends in the boat it still moves, it's stable for standing up, and there's enough room for the ridiculous gear we bring!

After I get a little motor and a new electric I think I'll put my boat to rest as far as upgrads. The deck was a decent idea but I think you all are right. After asking what it's like up front standing to my dad it seems fine as it is. Just new paint, power and some trinkets and handy things and shell be good for my next few years of bassin. They say bigger is better but hey I still get it done pretty good out of my baby :P

Even if you put a small floor in the boat (assuming you haven't already) it'll make things much better.

Here are 2 pictures of the boat Scugog. It's pretty simple. The paint job will look awesome as well as some little rod holders, fenders for the sides a purdy merc and a new trolling motor for the arse end. Might stain the wood under the seats also. I'm very comfortable in it and love it's stablilty even when having fun hitting waves from other boats :P

ScreenHunter_02Mar082125.jpg

ScreenHunter_03Mar082125.jpg

Anotheroption would be to build the forward casting deck lower than the tops of the benches, say along the bottom of the middle bench. Thus lowering your center of gravity and reducing weight over the larger deck, but still giving you a flat surface beneath your feet to stand comfortably on. Might be a good working compromise for ya

Anotheroption would be to build the forward casting deck lower than the tops of the benches, say along the bottom of the middle bench. Thus lowering your center of gravity and reducing weight over the larger deck, but still giving you a flat surface beneath your feet to stand comfortably on. Might be a good working compromise for ya

I like your idea. That's about all the deck is right now it a gathering of Ideas. My main goal is to have a brand new motor put in next spring and a new trolling motor for the rear of the boat. I am saving all year and will be putting money from work into it also. I think I'll be putting on a new 6hp Merc at the lowest power motor but have my eye set on a 8hp Mercury Outboard. A 8hp and a new Motor Gide Vari Max on the transom will be a handsome match. The boat will have a paint job done in a few weeks and I'll post pictures of it. Black on the outside and white on the inside, it will be re sealed and hopefully will have some stain on the wood bench tops.

Anyway this is a little project of mine and a boat I have fished out of for 2 years now. I love it and will like the improvements a lot more.