Spring 2010 - Weekend at Bernie's

fishnsled

Well another weekend at Bernie's has come and gone, but what a great weekend it was. It started on Friday morning with Joe meeting me at my place and Gerritt picking up Spiel on the other side of town. The drive up for everyone was surprisingly good. Nice to getaway before the masses departed the big smoke. By early afternoon we were unloaded, unpacked and more then ready for the weekend to begin. It was time Joe! After the introductions, catching up with each other, and a dinner fit for a king (thanks HH), it was time to head out for the evening bite. Our first fishing journey of the weekend was pretty uneventful. A few of perch and that was it. I don't think that any of us were too disappointed because to us the fishing really is secondary when it comes to the trip. Although a good evening of fishing never hurt anyone. A few drinks and euchre ended off the first day. Day one sunset. IMG_6557.jpg The next morning HH and I headed out early to see what we could find. Joe's second cast gives him an under the slot keeper. We were both happy with the result and shortly after that Joe gets another fish on. It's a big one! I grab the net and together we successfully land her. I measure her up and it's 25 and ¾"! A real beauty.thumbsup_anim.gifIMG_6558.jpg (Incase you were wondering, Joe's hair was done by Mercury.) HH is po'd as he thinks it is a slot fish and has to go back. I asked him are you sure and he says yes and releases the fish. IMG_6560.jpgIMG_6561.jpg I dig out my rules and regs and give Joe the bad news, 40-60cm slot. Or 15.7-23.6 inches on the high side, which means you could have kept it. Silence fills the boat……..HH was hoping to bring a few fish home for a family feed, did he curse himself? whistling.gif Joe adds a nice perch to his total and I manage a cigar and a couple of perch but that was it for our morning efforts. The others (Spiel, Gerritt and Bernie) managed a few perch and that was all. Back in for some lunch and downtime. The evening fish wasn't as productive either. We were beginning to wonder if this lake had any fish left in it or not. We can leave that discussion for another time but found it strange that we were not marking the numbers that we had in the past. After dinner we got into some cards and a couple of pops. Lots of laughs and good times were had by all. Sunday morning Joe and I had decided to get up even earlier and hit the water for 5am. Could have been a bit slower to get up as it was yet again slow. Beauty of a sunrise though. IMG_6564.jpg We managed a few perch and I caught a sheepshead and that was it for the early morning. Me and my watergoat. IMG_6565.jpg (Hair again done by Mercury.) We came back in and went for a visit to see Bernie's Mom and Dad, nice to sit down and visit with them for a bit. Bernie's Mom reminded us that she had made us one of our favorites, her now famous coleslaw. Well it's famous with us and we can't get enough of it. Thanks Verna. Bernie's Dad made a suggestion as to where to try and we decided to give it ago. We headed down the lake on a journey to the suggested spot. It wasn't long before I started to put on a clinic for Joe. Well I enjoyed his so much the day before; I figured I should return the favour. 2 quick fish in the boat, one in the slot, one under, followed by other under the slot and a couple of nice keeper size perch. A few perch between Joe and the others and that would be it before things seem to shut down. Back in for some lunch and downtime. A couple shots of the gang while out there. Gerritt P1030390.jpg Spiel P1030392.jpg Joe keeping the bugs off his head. P1030391.jpg Joe and myself. (Should of listened to Joe - black is far more slimming then the white or did I really need all that beef?) P1030393.jpg You maybe wondering what we did with our downtime so I'll tell ya. We had a couple of other guests with us this year, Roxy and Brooke. Roxy is Bernie's pooch and Brooke is Spiel's pooch. The dogs got along well and love to play, explore and chase a stick. Great way to kill a couple of hours just watching having a good time. Roxy with her new favourite stick. IMG_6572.jpg Brooke wandering around looking for her own stick. IMG_6578.jpg The 2 of them playing around. IMG_6577.jpg (Yes, these reeds should be under water.) Roxy taking a rest. IMG_6567.jpg And of course what would some downtime be without an afternoon nap.sleeping_02.gif The evening bite would give me another under the slot and we got a couple of small perch between us. We gave it our best but the fish were pretty much nonexistent for the weekend. Some of you may remember the boat that Bernie was restoring. Well Gerritt had the chance to take it out for a fish, sweet looking ride and she moved along very well. IMG_6581.jpg Awesome sunset that night. IMG_6582.jpgIMG_6584.jpg We headed back in for some of Bernie's venison stew, a few pops, and cards to end off the day. Now I've only had venison a couple of times in the past and Bernie's stew was just simply awesome. By far the best venison that I've ever had. The gang ready for venison stew and Verna's coleslaw. IMG_6587.jpg Our final morning and everyone was moving just a little slower than normal. whistling.gif Ended up spending the time chilling and mentally preparing ourselves for the trip home. Finally we got motivated and loaded up and called it a another great weekend at Bernie's. My boat at the dock this year. (Thanks for the putting up the boards Bernie, kept the boat from going under the dock.) IMG_6588.jpg My boat at the dock last fall. (Taken with cellphone) Gives you an idea of the water levels from last year to now. Image000.jpg A couple more low water shots IMG_6568.jpgIMG_6569.jpg The final group shot. Fishnsled, Headhunter, Spiel and Brooke, Bernie and Roxy, and Gerritt. IMG_6592.jpg Till the next time gentlemen!

Edited by fishnsled

Thanks for that, Will.

Bernie, you're a class act. I'm not sure I would have lent that priceless piece of nautical history to Gerritt though. :rolleyes:

Really nice that Chris was able to get away for a few days as well.

Thanks again for posting.

What a great time gent's I am glad to see that the Bernie tradition lives on for another year. Good to see Spiel out and about even though every picture is of him sitting down... I hope the neck is doing a little better buddy.

Art

Great to see you guys keep up the tradition, and Spiel, I'm so happy you made it out this time bud. Hope you are feeling a bit better than the last time we talked.

Great pics Will, great report. Love that one sunset pic. I think I have a new wallpaper for my computer now :thumbsup_anim:

Can't believe how low the water is. Love the hair by mercury too :clapping: That's my favorite hairdo!!

Joey

Thanks for doing up the report Will!

Nah... I really didn't want to take home some fresh Nip fillets, did I! :wallbash:

Thanks again Bernie for inviting up us bassholes up again! Laughs are priceless and weekends at Bernies always make me feel like a millionaire!

I hope that the summer brings you guys good weather (RAIN!) and I'm lookin forward to the fall already!

Oh yah... just so yah know, large amounts of cash were exchanged in order to get me to take a pic of that "Goat" Will caught... BAAAAH!

And like all who attended, I for one am glad I have two!

HH

Ps... to those heading up to Nip, we found the Pickereyes to be scatered at best and biting extremely light, heck I would swear they were licking our jigs... we did find however, that slowly dragging our jig along the bottom, popping it off rocks and letting them lick the jig was the only way to get a fish... slow and steady folks!

Edited by Headhunter

Looks like a good time as usual guys.

Very glad to see you managed to drag Chris up there! :)

Only took 3 years Mike! He only went so I would stop bugging him! LOL

overall the fishing was slooooooow.... with not many fish being marked.. we tried all over the place at different depths and structure.. it just seemed as though the fish were not there! I am sure the water levels have alot to do with it... but there are other factors as well..

Joe, I have two as well!

As always a great time was had by all, and I was happy to see Chris FINALLY took me up on my countless offers... I dont think he will pass up again no matter how sore his neck is lol! we have a way to numb the pain.. dont we Chris? *gulp*

Thank for doing up the report Will.

G

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Bernie - It's a trip we all look soooo forward to, thanks for putting up with us asshat.gif 's and we'll see you soon.

Joe - Thanks for paying me to hold that goat. Helped out with the 80L of boat gas I burned LOL! Good tip BTW.

Gerritt - I have two as well!

Chris - Hope the neck is feeling better and great to have spent some time with you.

Joey - I think you have taken a few of my pics for your wallpaper over the years. Glad you like you them. cool.gif

Kickingfrog - That drum will be waiting for you. Gonefishing.gif

A gracious and generous host, new friends and old, outstanding cuisine mixed with a few drinks, awesome scenery mixed with a little fishing and stellar weather equals one great Canadian weekend. thumbsup_anim.gif

The down side, my neck is killing me but it was great to get out of the house and the city for a few days. :)