Bear Shot in London Today

FisherMike

Rizzo, a boar is a male bear

oops, my bad. Sure looks like a typo to the non-hunter though

Forgive him,hes new to the country living

Thanks Brian. I even have a septic tank now (that's a little bit better than the neighbour who just relieves himself outdoors)

Where was the MNR on this one? Couldnt tranquilize/trap the bear and replace it somewhere? JOKE.

Nearest MNR office is in Aylmer 45 km SW of London, Nearest MNR CO with a tranquilizer gun and the papers to use it was probably somewhere north of Barrie. A good 3 hr dive away minimum.

As far as the London bear goes, I see no need to have shot it. They could have just watched it and it would have wandered away sooner or later. just don't feed it. Thats how they tell us to do it here.

The bear was shot and killed in the field next to Mathews Hall an elementary kids private school, which is next door to St. Thomas Aquinas High school. I really hope you're not suggesting that they wait and see what the bear would do with all the kids around. There was need to deal with the issue as quickly as possible.

jjcanoe

enlighten us DanC.

I would think a bear walking down yer down street would the norm.

What more can I say Brian. Urban encounters with bears and cops are commom here. It's kinda funny to me that it makes the headlines in southern Ontario. I run after them with my camera for a photo op when I see one in the wild but they're always too fast for me. One of these days I'll catch up to one though. I was face to face with a huge male a few years ago but didn't have a camera with me. Literally 3 feet away. Face to face. Man I hope to get that chance again.

I was face to face with a huge male a few years ago but didn't have a camera with me. Literally 3 feet away. Face to face. Man I hope to get that chance again.

I wouldn't even wish for that at a zoo with bars in between.

Be careful what you wish for; you might not be so lucky a second time.

There's some pretty good bassin water right in the area that the bear was shot! CPRI, just down the hill and follow the river down stream.

I'm pretty sure there would be a lump in my pants had I been fishing that area of the river and had a bear approaching...

HH

The bear was shot and killed in the field next to Mathews Hall an elementary kids private school, which is next door to St. Thomas Aquinas High school. I really hope you're not suggesting that they wait and see what the bear would do with all the kids around. There was need to deal with the issue as quickly as possible.

jjcanoe

Happens up north more than you realize. Spent part of my childhood around Mactier before the parents headed for the "Big Sewer". As kids we just stayed indoors when the school yard was "invaded" and the Game Warden arrived. Don't remember a bear ever being shot at school. I guess the operative phrases would be 'private school' and Southern Ontario.

its not just that theres a private school there. there is also a high school and a childrens mental health hospital all very close to eachother. its a shame that the bear was shot but bears in london is extremely rare and its not something that probably any london police officer has ever had to deal with.

its not just that theres a private school there. there is also a high school and a childrens mental health hospital all very close to eachother. its a shame that the bear was shot but bears in london is extremely rare and its not something that probably any london police officer has ever had to deal with.

So again, if the officer was not qualified to deal with the situation, where was animal control and the MNR? Who cares if it was near one school or a university., A hospital or a nursing home? What is the difference between a community up north and in the south. The only difference is 10X the voting power. Bears are cute up north but a menace in the south. Hypocritical period.

the difference between a community up north compared to down south is up north is bear country. police, animal control and the MNR up north live with and deal with bears on a regular occasion. like i said with the london police, even if animal control was called, i guarantee there is not an animal control officer in london capable of dealing with bears.

im not at all saying that human safety is more important down south compared to up north whatsoever. the simple way to put it is people up north are more educated on bears and bear safety compared to people in southern ontario.

i deal with bears almost daily on my job up north. if i see a bear up north im typically not too concerned. that bear is doing its daily routine in its typical habitat. if i was fishing in london and saw a bear it would be a completely different story.

That "hero shot" they are publishing is dispicable.

NIMBY....welcome to a common occurence in a large portion of ON, here's hoping misguided political activists are shown the consequences of resource management in the absence of science.

Imagine the funding cuts for CO's if the MNR had to start implementing Bear Wise in Southern Ontario....

Nearest MNR office is in Aylmer 45 km SW of London, Nearest MNR CO with a tranquilizer gun and the papers to use it was probably somewhere north of Barrie. A good 3 hr dive away minimum.

jjcanoe

My daughter was walking to school with some friends and had to turn back because of a bear.

Why can't they just keep the kids in school till the bear leaves the area.

No need to kill a poor bear just because the kids want to play in the school yard.

You will just have to learn to live together. Stay out of the bears way.

A tip for you, bears smell bad. It can be a good warning that they are around. Your children should be taught this at an early age if you want them to get to an old one.

PS Have your local MNR and police get some bear traps. Sounds like you are gonna need em

Edited by Dara

the difference between a community up north compared to down south is up north is bear country. police, animal control and the MNR up north live with and deal with bears on a regular occasion. like i said with the london police, even if animal control was called, i guarantee there is not an animal control officer in london capable of dealing with bears.

im not at all saying that human safety is more important down south compared to up north whatsoever. the simple way to put it is people up north are more educated on bears and bear safety compared to people in southern ontario.

i deal with bears almost daily on my job up north. if i see a bear up north im typically not too concerned. that bear is doing its daily routine in its typical habitat. if i was fishing in london and saw a bear it would be a completely different story.

The bear was near 3 schools. Possibly they should educate them about bears in the school while they wait for the animal control officer to show up.

Or would the kids rather watch the cop shoot it?

im sure they will educate the kids about bear safety now. my main point here is that there hasnt been a bear in london in many many many years. this is not the norm. im sure bear education/control is about to change in southern ontario.

Why can't they just keep the kids in school till the bear leaves the area.

PS Have your local MNR and police get some bear traps. Sounds like you are gonna need em

Why does no one understand that this is NOT a daily occurence here in the south? Should we get hire a lion tamer just in case one shows up? How about some depth charges just in case there is a rogue Nuclear sub in the river?

Are you going to pay for the traps. How about all the people walking around in Springbank Park should we have locked them up so the bear could just wander away? I guess you haven't heard yet about the MNR funding cut that have been happening for the past 10 years or so

The bear was near 3 schools. Possibly they should educate them about bears in the school while they wait for the animal control officer to show up.

Or would the kids rather watch the cop shoot it?

Again, the animal control around here doesn't have equipment to deal with anything larger than a pitbull around here, that would be many hours spent waiting for a control officer from the appearently "bear infested" north to arrive

classic one of the pics shows the cops on a bridge with a sniper and a spotter .. Im sure the bear was ATTACKING them from 500 yards... :sarcasm:

The officer who was charged was about 40 ft away from the bear.

I guess you've never played any computer war games where a sniper covers the troops on the ground! :sarcasm:

jjcanoe

Edited by jjcanoe

Why does no one understand that this is NOT a daily occurence here in the south? Should we get hire a lion tamer just in case one shows up? How about some depth charges just in case there is a rogue Nuclear sub in the river?

Are you going to pay for the traps. How about all the people walking around in Springbank Park should we have locked them up so the bear could just wander away? I guess you haven't heard yet about the MNR funding cut that have been happening for the past 10 years or so

Again, the animal control around here doesn't have equipment to deal with anything larger than a pitbull around here, that would be many hours spent waiting for a control officer from the appearently "bear infested" north to arrive

The officer who was charged was about 40 ft away from the bear.

I guess you've never played any computer war games where a sniper covers the troops on the ground! :sarcasm:

jjcanoe

clapping.gif

im sure they will educate the kids about bear safety now. my main point here is that there hasnt been a bear in london in many many many years. this is not the norm. im sure bear education/control is about to change in southern ontario.

Oh ,but it will be the way they are expanding their numbers and range. <_<

Oh ,but it will be the way they are expanding their numbers and range. <_<

EXactly.

It was never a common occurence here 10 years ago either. We were told to adapt to it.

It is becoming a daily occurence in the south. You must adapt, you can't just be killing all the bears.

And I am not being sarcastic. If you want sarcastic, wait till you get a few more bears down there and all of a sudden there is a spring hunt again.

And I am not being sarcastic. If you want sarcastic, wait till you get a few more bears down there and all of a sudden there is a spring hunt again.

One of the main reasons they are popping up where you wouldnt expect them.

Also,if you think thats the only bear you got,think again.Where theres one,there are more.London and surounding area has lots of forest and bush.Dont kid yourself that they aint moving in.

I don't know why everybody seems to be afraid of these bears so much. I've had quite a few bear encounters over the years and usually all I see is their back-end as it's running away from me. A couple times I've had them look at me. And then they turn and run away.

I actually look forward to the bears moving down here. Maybe they will keep some of the people away from my fishing spots. :canadian: