Muskegon Steelhead With My Dad

solopaddler

For many years it was my dad who took me under his wing. Countless fishing and camping trips have made for a lifetime of memories.

Amazingly though my dad has never been into steelhead fishing and has in fact never caught a steelhead in his entire life.

With the shoe firmly on the other foot now it was my turn to take my dad by the hand and show him something he's never experienced before.

My hope was we'd get him into his first ever steelhead.

Regardless I knew it'd be a fun trip for as far as I'm concerned the Muskegon is the closest thing we have here in the great lakes to a west coast steelhead experience.

It's a large powerful river and it's almost exclusively a boat fishery.

Something that's not all that common in the midwest.

Attemptig to make the trip extra special for my dad, I found and booked a private cottage for rent about 6km downstream from the dam at Croton.

This booking proved to be incredibly fortuitus. The owner Shawn is an avid steelheader and an aspiring centrepin angler.

When he found out I was a centrepin fisherman from Ontario he asked if we'd like to fish with him in his driftboat the first day, in exchange for some casting and fishing tips.

Obviously that wasn't a problem! :)

For the second full day I had booked a trip and paid a $100 deposit to fish with a very well known Muskegon guide on his larger more comfortable jetboat.

I figured it would be money well spent as this particular guide is known as the "floatfishing/centrepin guru" of the Muskegon.

Not that I would need any help, but I figured it'd good for my dad.

We were scheduled to fish with this guy on Friday.

I attempted to reach him multiple times since the previous Sunday leaving many messages with zero response from him.

I wasn't too impressed believe me. Here we were on the eve of our departure last Wed evening and we had no idea whether we'd be fishing on Fri or not.

Told my dad we'd go down regardless and fish with Shawn and he didn't mind.

At 9pm Wed evening I finally got a call back from our guide. He apologised profusely and we firmed up logistics for Friday morning.

Thank goodness I thought, and went to bed relieved...

Up at 2am to meet my dad I quickly checked my emails. My guide had sent me a message shortly before midnight: "Very sorry something corporate came up and I can't take you out on Friday. I'll do my best to find someone else for you"

Needless to say I wasn't too thrilled! :lol:

In any case we were both pretty stoked regardless of the situation and made fantastic time on the drive over.

We arrived at Shawn's cottage around 10am Thurs and were suitably impressed.

It's not the ritz, but it's comfortable and clean and has a commanding view of the river from the back deck.

MuskegonMarch25-26-2010003.jpg

MuskegonMarch25-26-2010001.jpg

MuskegonMarch25-26-2010002.jpg

In short order we made our aquaintance with Shawn, dropped our bags in the cottage, had a quick bite and were headed down the road to the boat launch following him.

After we completed the vehicle shuttle we headed back to the launch only to be greeted by an incredible sight.

The Muskegon is also filled with gigantic walleye on their annual spawning run from lake Michigan this time of year.

The Michigan DNR were set up at the launch with 2 huge pens to hold the ripe walleye collected from their electroshocking boat.

Other tech's waited at the ready to strip the egg laden females:

MuskegonMarch25-26-2010005.jpg

MuskegonMarch25-26-2010006.jpg

MuskegonMarch25-26-2010007.jpg

MuskegonMarch25-26-2010012.jpg

MuskegonMarch25-26-2010013.jpg

Some of those fish were pigs!

MuskegonMarch25-26-2010008.jpg

MuskegonMarch25-26-2010016.jpg

MuskegonMarch25-26-2010010.jpg

MuskegonMarch25-26-2010011.jpg

I commented that there must be an awesome fishery for them in the lake.

Apparantly not though. I was told that once they return to the big lake they're like ghosts, impossible to target and almost never caught.

No doubt they're like our big Quinte walleye once they hit lake Ontario, roaming the water column in search of baitfish.

If there's any diehard walleye guys out there looking for a hot new bite, here ya go, (if you can figure it out. ;) )

Now, on to the steelhead....

Shawn has a Clackacraft pretty much identical to the one I've previously fished the Muskegon in:

MuskegonMarch25-26-2010004.jpg

Not overly roomy but perfectly adequate for three guys.

We quickly launched and pushed off downstream with Shawn on the oars:

MuskegonMarch25-26-2010017.jpg

The first thing I noticed was the river was at least 3 feet lower than I'd ever seen it before in the spring.

Obviously we'd have to adapt to the lower water and seek new holding water.

That first afternoon I honestly didn't do a ton of fishing myself.

With both Shawn and my dad under my wing I spent most of my time coaching and assisting with rigging.

I did hook and lose 2 huge chromers back to back though.

Both were in the high 30" range easily and cartwheeled madly all over the river before they smoked me.

My dad was having his troubles and after I hooked a 3rd fish I handed him my rod to give him a feel for the strength of these fish:

MuskegonMarch25-26-2010021.jpg

'Course he lost it (first time ever applying drag with his fingers which also happened to be fully gloved.)

Still he was pumped by the experience...

Shawn is an excellent angler in his own right and a quick study.

He picked up the casting immediately and already knew about mending and keeping your line off the water. For him it was simply a matter of time.

His first fish was actually a giant walleye (yes they do hit roe bags on occasion :P ).

MuskegonMarch25-26-2010023.jpg

His second was a gorgeous 10lb chrome bullet that ran up and down the river jumping multiple times before being subdued.

Here I am at the ready with the net:

MuskegonMarch25-26-2010026.jpg

And here's Shawn with the fish. Can you tell he's happy? :)

MuskegonMarch25-26-2010030.jpg

With the lower water it afforded an opportunity to get out and fish from shore in numerous spots that were previously underwater.

For my dads sake we did just that. It allowed him a chance to stretch and warm up, and gave me a chance to instruct him in a more intimate manner.

Lord knows I tried and my dad did as well but it just didn't happen for him. He didn't mind though and after a while insisted I show him how it's done.

I managed one small steelhead, rolled and lost 2 others and caught about half a dozen small resident trout.

Here's the one and only small steelhead caught while on shore:

MuskegonMarch25-26-2010020.jpg

A little bit later in the boat I finished off the day with a small chrome hen which seemed to be suffering from a pronounced hairlip. :D

MuskegonMarch25-26-2010024.jpg

On a funny note as we were drifting downstream who do we float by but none other than my guide who had bailed on me for Friday 'cause a "corporate thing" came up.

I recognized him. He had no clue who I was.

As we're drifting past he asks how's it going, etc, etc..

I stare at him blankly then say "So, you've got a corporate thing that came up for Friday? Not the way to run a business buddy ".

It took him like maybe 10 seconds for it to sink in who I was then he got real uncomfortable. :lol:

About 20 minutes later we floated by some other guide downstream.

Apparantly my guide had called him and said when we're drifting by him to tell me all is well for Friday and he's got someone else lined up for me tomorrow.

"Whatever" says I. :rolleyes:

Shawn thought the whole thing was funny.

Best part is we hit it off pretty good and now I have a friend with a cabin and a driftboat on the Muskegon. :thumbsup_anim:

We pulled off the river around 6:30pm and parted ways with Shawn promising to stay in touch.

Heading back to the cabin we poured a couple of drinks, fired up the bbq and kicked back.

We don't often get the chance to spend time alone anymore so from that perspective the trip was already a success.

As far as the fishing goes I knew it would be hard for my dad.

A few years back he severed 4 fingers on his left hand. They were successfully reattached, but he has a big problem with cold now and has to wear full fingered gloves.

With the overnight low dipping down to -9 I knew it'd be tough for him the next morning, but he was game and that's all that counts.

As predicted the next morning was bitterly cold with a brisk N/E wind making it even worse.

We were a little apprehensive as to exactly who would be taking us out and what he'd be like.

In the end it all worked out. Our guide Jim was a young very keen 20 year old with his own jetboat and a budding passion for centrepin fishing.

Honestly he was a great kid and it couldn't have worked out better for everyone.

My dad and I got to fish with a pleasant accomodating young man who worked his butt off to assist my dad all day long.

The young guy got himself a free clinic on how to catch fish on a pin from me. :D

The lad has been fishing the MO for years and working part time for the guide I originally booked for a while now.

Ultimately my poor old dad was just too hamstrung with the cold to fish effectively despite both Jim's and my own help.

Still he enjoyed the day.

As Jim said at the end of the day though it was the most steelhead he's ever seen hooked in a single outing.

He figured I put 20 in the boat and easily lost another 20 after some long acrobatic fights.

So 'twas a good day for me. :)

With the low glasswater clear water I was forced to keep things subtle with long light fluoro leads, tiny hooks and abnormally small baits.

Tiny roe bags the size of my little fingernail in white and peach, small black and brown stoneflies as well as black maribou jigs all accounted for fish.

Here's a few I managed to best:

MuskegonMarch25-26-2010032.jpg

MuskegonMarch25-26-2010036.jpg

MuskegonMarch25-26-2010034.jpg

MuskegonMarch25-26-2010038.jpg

MuskegonMarch25-26-2010044.jpg

MuskegonMarch25-26-2010046.jpg

MuskegonMarch25-26-2010049.jpg

Highlight of the day for Jim, (actually he sid it was the highlight of his year LOL!), was a massive resident brown trout I caught.

The Muskegon also has a thriving population of resident rainbows and browns, with the very odd brown reaching eye popping proportions.

Jim is also a dyed in the wool fly bum and once steelhead season draws to a close he chases the big browns with his fly rod.

He was just telling me that a huge old brown lived in this pool when my float went down.

It was as fat as a hog and on the boga weighed 91/2lb's. :D

MuskegonMarch25-26-2010040.jpg

That was actually the last fish I put in the boat and an absolutely perfect capper to a memorable day.

My dad wasn't down about his lack of success in the slightest.

Staying warm was his full time priority and as he said he enjoyed watching his boy do well. :)

We talked about it on the way home and it seems he's up for another shot at it.

This time some walk and wade fising on a smaller more intimate stream later next month that'll be teeming with suicidal dropbacks.

I figure his odds will be better then. :)

All in all a successful trip and once again I'll be marking the days 'till I can make it back.

Cheers, Mike

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Looks like a great time! My father used to steelhead, but has hardly fished in the past decade because of his knees. Maybe it's about time I get the old man out on the river.

Great report solo!

Great report Mike!

My old man carried me around on his back before I could even carry a fishing rod, but he never fished steelhead either. Brook trout were his specialty.

Its always great getting out with the old man, ya gotta love it!

S.

Great post, great fish, interesting read. Years ago did a lot of father/ sons with my dad, both hunting and fishing. Best trips of my life.

Croton Dam? coincidentally, 50 years ago this opener my first steelheading trip was with my dad as a youngster a few kilometres down from another Croton Dam.

I got a couple of pansized fish and dad got a single bow of about 6 1/2 pounds. That became our opening day trip for quite a few years together.

Wow, what a weekend you had with your father. You produced some amazing numbers Mike. I've never fished in Michigan except for the St Marys.A report like this makes me want to look into it a bit more.Thanks for the post it was one of the best reads in awhile.

TDunn

Wow, what a weekend you had with your father. You produced some amazing numbers Mike. I've never fished in Michigan except for the St Marys.A report like this makes me want to look into it a bit more.Thanks for the post it was one of the best reads in awhile.

TDunn

Living where you do Michigan is a no brainer dude. You should definitely look into it!

Fantastic report Mike. Especially love reading about a good father/son trip. Thanks for sharing. Super gorgeous brownie :thumbsup_anim:

On another note: Have you ever used the wigglers they sell down there? My friends used to smuggle them back by the dozens over the border...Deadly baits!

Great trip Mike! Im going to try to coin the term MONUMEPIC for your steelhead reports.

Very cool you got your Dad out to fish and show him a different style of fishing. My Dad taught me to steelhead fish and doesn't get out much at all anymore. Showing him how to fish with a pin and getting him into a fish a couple of falls ago was just awesome.

I've got to get down to MI again, maybe try to muskegon instead of the big man...powerful fish!!!

T-4 days til I steelhead!!!!!

On another note: Have you ever used the wigglers they sell down there? My friends used to smuggle them back by the dozens over the border...Deadly baits!

Yep. I've been using them for well over 25 years.

Great, great bait for steelhead when they're fussy.

I used to seine my own out of a local pond back in the day.

Probably use them more for resident stream trout under a tiny quill, absolutely lethal.

Great trip Mike! Im going to try to coin the term MONUMEPIC for your steelhead reports.

Very cool you got your Dad out to fish and show him a different style of fishing. My Dad taught me to steelhead fish and doesn't get out much at all anymore. Showing him how to fish with a pin and getting him into a fish a couple of falls ago was just awesome.

I've got to get down to MI again, maybe try to muskegon instead of the big man...powerful fish!!!

T-4 days til I steelhead!!!!!

MONUMEPIC, I like it. :)

Good luck when you go buddy, I'm sure you're itching.