Coyote grabs Pomeranian in Pickering area.

fishinfool

The police warning is just about the funniest thing I have ever read.

LOL Dara I thought the same thing.

"If a coyote poses an immediate threat, call 911"

Help, Help!! I'm being eaten by a coyote.

"Yeah right buddy, that's a good one"

I wonder if they would send a squad car immediately? lol

The last time I needed a cop in a hurry, they showed up 2 hours later...

Edited by fishinfool

It's really too bad about the woman's pets. I must admit however that that "reporter" could have cleaned up the story just a touch unless he was quoting Durham police verbatim.

I was half expecting the last paragraph to read:

"The second dog did not appear to have been hurt however, the coyote was later seen on Woodbine, propped up against a tree and smoking a cigarette. His breathing sounded stangely like a whistle."

It's really too bad about the woman's pets. I must admit however that that "reporter" could have cleaned up the story just a touch unless he was quoting Durham police verbatim.

I was half expecting the last paragraph to read:

"The second dog did not appear to have been hurt however, the coyote was later seen on Woodbine, propped up against a tree and smoking a cigarette. His breathing sounded stangely like a whistle."

Now that there's funny!!

Howlllllll no pun intended.

The police warnings are actually the MNR issued standard protocol.

Coyotes are a big problem in the cities now. People living in the city have no idea the dangers coyotes pose.

City coyotes are MUCH braver and bigger than rural coyotes.

This summer could be a major problem if people do not change their habits. Walking your small dogs at night near parks in coyote areas is no long an option.

I am in the midst of a coyote study and the reports coming in are all pointing to urban coyotes now being a permanent resident of the cities and we all have to adapt to it.

CARRY PEPPER SPRAY if you are in city parks.

We are having signs placed in all city parks with known coyote populations so people can beware.

If you live in a city with coyotes, talk to your kids and make sure they are staying away from all 'dogs'.

Texas went through this a few years ago and the number of kids getting bit was alarming.

So you guys living in the country..do not think these are the same skittish coyotes you are used to. There have been reports here already of coyotes challenging adult humans.

We all have to change our ways because we cannot get rid of these animals...so we must adapt.

Last summer while walking my dog on the boardwalk at Frenchman's Bay a lady told me that a Fox had run out of the bushes and tried to grab her poodle.

Another man walking with his dog chased the Fox and it ran back into the bushes.

Has anyone ever heard stories of Fox doing this before?

A freind of mines' wife watched in horror as 4 yotes played tug o war with the family cat,right on the front porch of their house in Queensvile last summer,you would think there would be enough natural forage around,but no, the #'s are growing and at a quick rate....personally I think there should be a bounty put back on them and maybe that would help keep the #'s in check,anyhow the make nice hats.......TC and tight lines....Chuck....

LOL Dara I thought the same thing.

"If a coyote poses an immediate threat, call 911"

Help, Help!! I'm being eaten by a coyote.

"Yeah right buddy, that's a good one"

I wonder if they would send a squad car immediately? lol

The last time I needed a cop in a hurry, they showed up 2 hours later...

Just tell you let a few rounds fly at it from your deer rifle, you'll have a bunch of squad cars and a SWAT Unit there in under 5 minutes :D

Last summer while walking my dog on the boardwalk at Frenchman's Bay a lady told me that a Fox had run out of the bushes and tried to grab her poodle.

Another man walking with his dog chased the Fox and it ran back into the bushes.

Has anyone ever heard stories of Fox doing this before?

thats odd... foxes are typically VERY skittish around humans, they are also not much for hunting down food, rather scavenge for it. but, ya never know rite!

From a guy that has had rabbies shots twice in his lifetime, me, that isn't normal behaviour for a healthy fox!

They will definitely hunt food.. usually squirrels/chipmunks/moles... but if they aren't scared of you chances are it's rabbid !

MInd you.. that said... my neighbour at the lake now has a red fox coming to the door and eating scraps out of his hand. I told him he's nuts doing so..and it's going to be a problem when his cat goes missing.. but he won't listen.

Edited by irishfield

So you guys living in the country..do not think these are the same skittish coyotes you are used to. There have been reports here already of coyotes challenging adult humans.

Trust me, they are not that skittish in the country, we often see them in broad daylight, I had several wild rabbits living around here last winter, by spring there were none to be found but there were lots of coyote tracks around.

If you are involved in a study, what sort of information do you need to help you?

Reminds me of a story:

Coyotes were descimating sheep in one area, there was a big meeting with a lot of ideas and suggestions and one tree hugging woman suggested castrating the males.

One elderly sheep farmer stood up and addressed the woman. He said "Lady, the coyotes aren't banging my sheep, they are eating them"!

Culling coyotes is a total waste of bullets.

Yes, fox behaviour is changing as well and this is due to the coyotes. Just like wolves won't tolerate coyotes, coyotes will push out the foxes.

This is also happening here with foxes peering into peoples homes and taking up residence in peoples yards. They are less afraid of us than the coyotes. Niagara-on-the-Lake is going through that now. The foxes are all struggling to find new places to live.

It has been more than 15 years since any rabies has been found down here.

I am moving to the country (10 acres) and the increase in Coyote's is concering me. Is there anything you can do to to prevent attracking them? Knock on wood I haven't seen one yet and there haven't really been any issues or concerns and i did see some rabbits last weekend.

I haven't checked the regs and should but might as well ask...are they hunable? I figure that may deter them a bit....

Culling coyotes is a total waste of bullets.

Yes, fox behaviour is changing as well and this is due to the coyotes. Just like wolves won't tolerate coyotes, coyotes will push out the foxes.

This is also happening here with foxes peering into peoples homes and taking up residence in peoples yards. They are less afraid of us than the coyotes. Niagara-on-the-Lake is going through that now. The foxes are all struggling to find new places to live.

It has been more than 15 years since any rabies has been found down here.

Couple years back I actually watched from about 50 yards as an elderly neighbor was gardening and a mother fox and her two kits sat about 10 feet behind him and watched with interest as he planted tulips .... I was dumbfounded ... so obviously thay are not nearly as skittish as you would think ... in fact they looked like they were patiently waiting for him to finish so they could get in there and dig up all his bulbs :)