UPS does it again!!!

DRIFTER_016

So I ordered a Sage spey blank from Cabelas a couple of weeks ago as they had them in the bargain cave for 25% off.

The only shipping method allowed was international air at $44.95 which they send UPS. :rolleyes:

At least with Cabelas you know all the charges up front and know you won't be boned by UPS when your package arrives.

Well when my package hadn't arrived by Friday of last week I call up Cabelas and ask what's up with my order.

They look it up in the system and say it was delivered on Wednesday and so & so signed for it at such & such address.

I tell her well that's not me and not my address. She tells me that yeah it was supposed to go to my address. :dunno::dunno:

She tells me that she can send me another blank, I tell her that's fine but I bet you don't have any. I was right. wallbash.gifwallbash.gif

So she is recalling the order which takes up to a week, hopefully. Once the blank is back in Sydney Nebraska it will be re-sent to me.

What a deal!!!!! I pay $44.95 for shipping and it could take a month to get my parcel from those UPS Losers that can't even deliver to the right address. What really burns me is if for some reason they don't get it back I will still be out $300 for the components I ordered for this build from other vendors. Thanks again UPS!!!!!!! angry.gifangry.gifangry.gifangry.gif

pain-pain-ache-headache-smiley-emot.gif

Rant Over

We now return you to your regularly scheduled posts. wink2.gif

Never had a problem with either UPS or Cabela's......as a matter of fact Cabela's sends you a tracking number when you order online and you can tell just about where your package is and exactly when it will arrive to your home......Can't beat that even with a Ugly Stick...:)

Never had a problem with either UPS or Cabela's......as a matter of fact Cabela's sends you a tracking number when you order online and you can tell just about where your package is and exactly when it will arrive to your home......Can't beat that even with a Ugly Stick...:)

You're right, until the UPS guys deliver to the wrong place. :angry:

If there was a local chapter of the “I hate UPS with a passion” fan club, I’d join. I’ve been bent over and violated up the yin yang by them more than a few times. My last order was hilarious:

Albright Tackle (located in NY State) sends my package via UPS (even after I told them to ship USPS). Called it in when I got my tracking number to cancel and reship…Albright cancelled the UPS delivery and told them to bring it back…I saw my tracking history state that the delivery was cancelled and somewhere in Syracuse, NY. Next day, I see the package arrive at the US/CAN border in Buffalo and make its way into Canada where it sits for a few days during the week…WTH? The record of the cancellation was gone.

Friday, the package makes its way to Concord, Ontario…Then to Scarborough…Then back to Concord. Monday, the UPS man comes to my door with the package asking for $77 in customs/brokerage for a package valued at $135 Canadian. I told him I canceled the order almost 10 business days prior (which it did take to get to my door – 5 day guarantee was a joke in any case)…Told the delivery guy I only ship USPS because of the brokerage fees…He tells me to ship by UPS air – That option would’ve cost me $150 for shipping but I wouldn’t have to pay brokerage fees :lol:

I cancel the order and my package goes from Concord, Ontario to Buffalo (and back to Concord another time)…Then to Ohio :huh: …Then to Kentucky :blink: …4wks after I made the order, the rods finally got back to Albright Tackle.

Albright ships via USPS the same day and I get the package in 4 business days.

Could be just me…I have the worst luck dealing with UPS and FedEx. Beyond the outrageous brokerage fees, they also lost a number of my packages…Most notable was a high-end carp blank – US vendor only had 1 in inventory…How the heck do you lose a 6ft long, bright chartreuse painted rod tube? I don’t know…FedEx still wanted me to pay $72 in customs/brokerage fees after they lost that one :lol:

PS

Which spey blank did you order? Currently looking for a switch/shorter spey rod myself...Have an 11ft 7/8 Meiser switch blank on the short-list...Dreading the news on how much it's going to cost me to get it over the border.

Edited by MJL

Which spey blank did you order? Currently looking for a switch/shorter spey rod myself...Have an 11ft 7/8 Meiser switch blank on the short-list...Dreading the news on how much it's going to cost me to get it over the border.

MJL

It's a Sage Z-Axis 7136-4 blank.

7 wt 13 1/2' that I will be building as a float rod.

WOW I haven't had any issues with UPS they have always been great. I don't have many packages from a broad that might be the difference though. I think the customs and brokers fees that they collect on imports are to stiff and in the long run hurt the free trade between The US and Canada. I guess that is why I bring extra items when I go visit my Canadian Friends....

Art

[

PS

Have it sent to Sault michigan

I'm going over for a week and have nothing I need to bring back..I'll send it to you from Canada

MJL

It's a Sage Z-Axis 7136-4 blank.

7 wt 13 1/2' that I will be building as a float rod.

When you eventually get the blank, be amazed by the awesome power to weight ratio :worthy: . Had a chance to play with several 6 & 7wt conversions on the river as well as fondle a few of the 5, 6 and 7wt conversions at the local tackle shop…The rods were violated even before they left the shop :D

Have it sent to Sault michigan

I'm going over for a week and have nothing I need to bring back..I'll send it to you from Canada

Totally awesome offer Dara. Many thanks. Haven’t decided which blank I want yet and probably won’t for another couple of months. Finding the right fly rod blank is a lot harder than I thought…Meiser, Beulah, CTS, Rainshadow, Winston, Sage…Only got enough funds for 1 along with the components I want to use in the build. If anything changes, I'll let you know ASAP

I heard someone in BC started a lawsuit against UPS for their insane brokerage fees a couple years ago…Not sure how that’s going. Each time the UPS guy came to my door, I was tempted to call 911 after the ordeal…I was raped! :stretcher:

I do as Dara suggests and have all my packages shipped to a P.O. box in Michigan. No brokerage fees if you act as your own broker.

As for UPS, how's this. Last year I bought a truck rack from an American company. It gets shipped UPS, I go pick it up in Soo Michigan, bring it back, no problem.

The box was a little beat up, and taped back together, I open the box up at home and it had some parts that didn't really make much sense.

My truck rack came with a dozen hummingbird feeder stands stuffed in it. There was a separate shipping invoice for the hummingbird feeder stands. Apparently they were bound for a garden center in Petoskey Michigan. I called them, they said they were not worth worrying about.

I guess during shipping, some boxes must have fell and broken open. Buddy the diligent UPS employee simply grabbed the spilt merchandise and shoved it into whatever box it fit into, tapped it all back together and put it back on the truck. So I've got 12 hummingbird feeder stands that I don't know what to do with. At least all the truck rack parts were there. Too bad it wasn't a plasma screen TV or a new fishfinder or something. :)

• 2 years later...

I refuse all UPS shipments and have all my suppliers ship USPS. I called UPS and asked if they could ban my address from receiving packages but they said they couldn't do that. UPS in the states is great. Many many years ago when UPS was only allowed to deliver by refurbished taxis I joined a group fighting to get UPS into Canada. We wrote to members of parliment and finally they were allowed to operate in Canada. I just showed my age. Little did I know they would be ripping Canadians off with outlandish brokerage fees. One $75 package I got had duty and fees of almost $200 because the shipper inflated the value of the package. I think he was hoping it got lost and he would make a killing on the insurance.

The last thing that got shipped UPS to me was my Marcum LX-5.

Living in the NWT with no local UPS was a blessing.

The package was shipped UPS and transferred to Buffalo Air to be delivered.

A few weeks later I got an invoice from UPS down South for $75 in brokerage fees.

I tore it up and threw it away.

Haven't heard a peep since!!!! :lol:

it's gotten to the point where no matter how legitimate the retailer, if they're insisting on shipping UPS then i'm not buying. too many times have i been dinged with fees that sum to near the item's worth. As a sender, I've had better service with USPS.

Same here. I get confirmation that they ship via USPS/Canada Post before I order. A few extra days for delivery is seldom a problem. Couriers in general either (a) leave the pkg outside in the elements w/ a sig. (B) leave a card for me to drive a considerable dist to pick up. With Canada Post it's either in a big locked bin below the mailbox or 2 km down the road at the PO Outlet. I guess if you are running a business time can be of the essence, but most of us can wait a few days for delivery.

If you think buying fishing stuff in the U.S. and having it shipped to Canada is bad, try buying a guitar from a U.S. retailer and have them us UPS... the gorillas in the distribution centre have a thing for guitars, but only if the guitar is in more than once piece!

And how many of us would like UPS to just drop the package at the front door... sure a $2k guitar is sitting on my front step, for the world to take... and they probably would, if the guitar hadn't already been dropped 20 ft at the distribution centre... such a deal to pay brokerage fees for a busted up instrument!

HH

I've only had about a dozen experiences with UPS and only 2 of them were smooth, albeit costly

most recently I ordered a new spey reel...UPS tracking number says it has entered canada and is on it's way to northern BC, I go to the UPS depot in town and they have no record of it, they call the distribution center down south and it has been returned to vendor due to insufficient delivery information...my address was correct with PO box and physical 911 address, there was no reason to return to vendor

it's funny they called me for my credit number when it hit the border but they didn't call me to ask/confirm delivery address

I try to avoid UPS at all costs

PS

Bob will use USPS INtl express with tracking and insurance. Mine came to $55

I have seen where there is no duty on an item but UPS put broker fees at 3/4 of the price of the thing you bought

Yup! If the retailer doesn't ship USPS we don't do business. Shipping costs in Canada will be the death of on-line and E Bay sales. I think alot of U.S. outlets have had difficulties shipping into Canada to the point where many WON'T ship into Canada. So much for Free Trade.

Dan O.