The Good, the badass, and the Ugly

tibbs

I'll start with a little intro.

Back at the start of school my Dad told me that if i did well in school i would be able to do something special as a reward. Last week i got my report card with an average of... 87% :D. That was definitely good enough for my parents. So after some thinking i decided to book a trip out on the mighty Niagara! I heard good things about Paul Castellano on OFC, so i contacted him. He responded and said he was booked that day, but recommended another guide named Steve Piggott who is the guide for Angler's Way. We set the trip up and i was pumped for Saturday morning!

I was thrilled it was finally time to go after restless sleep. We left the house at around 6:00 AM and headed towards the Queenston boat launch. We eventually made it to the ramp at 7:30. We then met Steve who already launched the boat and had all the rods ready to go. I then got into the float suit. Steve said the water was a lot dirtier then he would like it to be, but It didn't matter since I already knew it was going to be a great day. We then headed onto the almighty Niagara River...

It was a brisk morning, but i was prepared for it with multiple layers of sweaters and socks, the float suit and my clean pair of wool gloves... Steve finally got to the spot, put the trolling motor down, and picked up a rod. He then showed me how to bottom bounce. This technique was brand new to me. I'm use to just watching my float move threw the current, but bottom bouncing requires you to feel the fish hit. It is hard to decipher if your getting a hit or your just tapping the bottom. I eventually caught on and we hooked 3 out of season lake trout which were promptly returned to the numbingly cold water. We then decided to change spots after a quick chat with Paul Castellano. We both started to head up river. I sat back and enjoyed the beautiful scenery of the Niagara River.

We got to the spot and started to fish. It wasn't to long until we hooked a fish.

006.jpg

After that fish Steve started the motor and headed back to the start of the drift.

I then hooked into a monster. I could tell it was a massive fish. I fought like a champ and i finally landed it...

008.jpg

My PB Steelhead!

I was pumped after that fish.

We subsequently hooked into a smaller bow.

010.jpg

Then i hooked into to the Frankenstien of steelhead. I'll let the pictures do the talking...

011.jpg

011.jpg

After that seeing that guy I didn't feel like eating my lunch anymore. :blink::lol:

We then got one more steely.

013.jpg

We did a few more drifts and sadly it was almost the end of the trip. Steve said that we would do one more drift before we head back to the launch. I then felt a hit, but it wasn't moving. I thought it was a rock and was about to snap it off... until i felt a head shake. :o It then started to pull line off super fast. I knew it was massive. Steve started to chase it with the electric motor. All the while I'm wondering what i had on. I finally got it to the surface and saw what it was. We netted it and there it was...

a Sturgeon :D:o :o

016.jpg

017.jpg

And on 8lb mono to boot!!!

It wasn't my biggest sturgeon, but I was shaken after that experience!

Paul should have some great photos since he was following us and some taking pics.

We then headed back to the launch after the epic battle. I thanked Steve for the great day and left. I fell asleep in the car dreaming about my next visit to the almighty Niagara.

I would like to thank Steve Piggott of Angler's Way for my great day. He's a swell guy and i would highly recommend him for a great day on the Niagara.

Now I've got exams to study for. <_<

Edited by tibbs

Beautiful report and awesome pics tibbs :thumbsup_anim:

Love to pic of the sturgeon B) Nice surprise to hook into one and bet he gave you a great fight :clapping:

Kudos to Steve to put you into quality fish :clapping:

I've only caught a couple of sturgeon in my life time and the biggest one was a 49" while I was ice fishing..... caught on a still line and still to this date, don't how he got to suck in my 5" live minnow LOL

Here's a pic of it:

Sturgeon.jpg

And don't laugh cause this was in my ice fishing debut some 20 years ago LOL

Again great job Tibbs, congrats on the great report card :clapping:

WOW!!!

Leechman

God Job on the Grades Tibbs!! its your future!!!

Excellent report,...I would really like to see some pics of the face of that Frankenstein...lol...looks like he hit your prop during the fight....if you have any please post them....and that Sturgeon,...thats sick...I have been hoping to hook into one for a couple years now!! musta been a treat...did you get any aerials out of it?

Thanks Everyone!!!

Beautiful report and awesome pics tibbs :thumbsup_anim:

Love to pic of the sturgeon B) Nice surprise to hook into one and bet he gave you a great fight :clapping:

Kudos to Steve to put you into quality fish :clapping:

I've only caught a couple of sturgeon in my life time and the biggest one was a 49" while I was ice fishing..... caught on a still line and still to this date, don't how he got to suck in my 5" live minnow LOL

Here's a pic of it:

Sturgeon.jpg

Wow... that must have been an interesting fight

When I get the photos that Paul took,I will send you them.Keep up the good work at school and we can fish again.

Steve.

That would be great.

whats up with all the mutant steelheads?!?!?!?!?

Probably from all the junk we put in lake Ontario that causes the deformities.

God Job on the Grades Tibbs!! its your future!!!

Excellent report,...I would really like to see some pics of the face of that Frankenstein...lol...looks like he hit your prop during the fight....if you have any please post them....and that Sturgeon,...thats sick...I have been hoping to hook into one for a couple years now!! musta been a treat...did you get any aerials out of it?

I don't think there's any close ups. It sort of looks like a reverse kype. :P

I wish the sturgeon jumped, but it stayed on the bottom the whole time. The ones on the Fraser River in BC normally jump at least once when you hook them.

Steve said the water was a lot dirtier then he would like it to be, but It didn't matter since I already knew it was going to be a great day.

Great attitude!! And a fantastic post! :thumbsup_anim: Keep up the great work at school, and on the water :lol: