ONE OR TWO PEICE SPINNING RODS

rob v

I'm planning on purchasing a new rod this spring and I was hoping I could get a few opinions on the subject from some of the members who have experience with one peice rods. I have a one peice bait casting outfit that I really like. The only problem I have is that it's a pain in the butt to pack and travel with. For those of you who prefer the one peice - how do you manage travelling with them ?

Thanks very much for the insite. Rob V

terry1.gif one piece rods are more sensitive, IMHOterry1.gif

and if you bend a 2 piece rod you will see the natural curve of the bend is changed where they join

but 2 piece sure is better for traveling and storage

so it's a trade off, and most times I don't see that much difference, so I go with the 2 piece rod

Edited by Terry

I have a lot of rods, don`t think I have a two piece, if I have it`s gathering dust in the barn. Mine are in the rod locker of the boat or in the van if I am shore fishing. I even carried them in my chevette for fishing trips. Just have to be careful with them, I don`t have many that are less than 6 feet, and they don`t get used much.

The quality of 2 piece rods has gone up over the years though.

I have a few 2 piece rods but much prefer the 1 piece over them. Am especially fond of St.Croix -both Premier & Avid. I broke down & bought a "Bazuka" to hold up tp 7 rods( with out reels) & have NO regrets. I put a home made "sock" on each rod & in they go...No worries after that. The Bazuka is almost crush proof & says it is AIRLINE PROOF ... whatever that means. I pack all my reels into a used camera bag I got for $2 at a yard sale(GREAT!)

Don't get me wrong, 2 piece rods have their place but all being equal I will reach for my 1 piece rods 1st!

I you are doing stream/river fishing 2 piece would be easier to travel with.

FT

terry1.gif one piece rods are more sensitive, IMHOterry1.gif

and if you bend a 2 piece rod you will see the natural curve of the bend is changed where they join

but 2 piece sure is better for traveling and storage

so it's a trade off, and most times I don't see that much difference, so I go with the 2 piece rod

Agreed!

I use two pc spinning and float rods, and do not seem to have lost any sensitivity. lI have a 2pc musky rod (Diawa-Heartland) I haven't had a problem with it coming apart. It is a nice rod for the low cost, but for musky fishing I prefer a one pc.

John

Ive done that one too Mepps :(. Gonna pick up a new single piece walleye rod this year but I've got a question - have any of you guys transported these single piecers (lets say a 6'6 or 7'er) via plane - any recommendations on the rod carriers you see at places like BPS? I've got a trip up to NW ontario this summer and I'd love to bring up a nice rod but don't want to ruin it or pay a bunch extra to bring it up.

I had a few two piece spinning rods, but I found that I had to push them back together here and there during the day. Could be that they were just cheap-o rods to begin with. Now, I only use the 1-piece rods, none of which are anywhere near the length of your float rod. With the long rods, I store them in the boat while traveling. Should I need to stay over-night, I bring them into the motel room. So far, I really enjoy the 1 piece and doubt I go back to the 2 piece.

Ive done that one too Mepps :(. Gonna pick up a new single piece walleye rod this year but I've got a question - have any of you guys transported these single piecers (lets say a 6'6 or 7'er) via plane - any recommendations on the rod carriers you see at places like BPS? I've got a trip up to NW ontario this summer and I'd love to bring up a nice rod but don't want to ruin it or pay a bunch extra to bring it up.

Buy the Airliner 4588 rod tube by Plano, transported my 7' rods from Atlanta Georgia to Lakair last with no problems!

I have a few 2 piece rods but they are all over 10' in length.

I can't stand making a long cast with a 6' rod only to have the top half go flying into the drink!!!... I hate that worse than a 'Possum hates an ax handle!!!

you make a rod holder on the front bumper

then you bend the rod over to the back bumper where you have a downrigger clip

you clip the end of the rod and there you have it

and it also doubles as a CB antenna :whistling:

I only use 2 piece, because of my type of fishing locations. My bud used a one piece for 2 years, and finally got tired of it getting caught up in all the brush and trees when going through the rough portages and trails we use.

A one piece would definatly be a better rod to use, but a higher risk of breaking them in some situations concerning storage to and from locations, portaging, etc.