No more nicknames

BUSTER

Another forum I view from time to time has now switched to real names only? NO more nicknames. :huh:

Iam was just wondering what many of you may think of such an idea for a open public forum?

Should we be forced to use real names only? <_<

oh and GCD ya ya ya i know ......there's another forum out there comment, no need to say it now! :D

cheers all

Edited by BUSTER

Personally, I think that no one should hide behind nicknames.. I agree 100%. Though I doubt if we would have as many users though if we didn't allow a little anonymity. On this forum its a personal choice. Personally I use my real name and encourage everyone to do so, but of course its not mandatory.

Even if it was BobB or GrantE type stuff, it would help me with which member is which member, Im horrible remembering one name, much lett two... LOL ( a side effect of my high school and college years im sure...)

I would leave if I had to use my real name..

LOL

whats next photos to show what we look like....dang..it's big brother all over again

Terry

Edited by Terry

Personally, I think that no one should hide behind nicknames.. I agree 100%. Though I doubt if we would have as many users though if we didn't allow a little anonymity. On this forum its a personal choice. Personally I use my real name and encourage everyone to do so, but of course its not mandatory.

I have no problem with it either. Fact is my name is plastered all over the internet anyway because of my business so I see no harm in it.

On the other hand most of the regulars here have pretty much figured out who's who by now. We even refer to each other by real names rather than nicks most of the time. And if someone is using the nick to hide behind so they can be dickheads they'll get modded soon enuf anyway.

JF

I personally don't feel anyone should be forced to use their real name. I run a forum with a very large database of users, one member inperticular used his first name on the board and let it publically known who he works for. He had 15,000 posts. Yes 15,000 posts, one of our top vetern members. Needless to say he posted inappropriate material from time to time and was reported and fired from his job froma client. The client was googling the company and came across his account.

I don't like people hiding behind a keyboard either, but this is the internet and being anonymous definitely has its pros.

Personally, I think that no one should hide behind nicknames.. I agree 100%. Though I doubt if we would have as many users though if we didn't allow a little anonymity.

Agree with you wholeheartedly TJ. If you think about it, why would anyone post anything on here (or another board) that they don't want to sign their name to? And if they were forced to sign their name to it, would some of the inflammatory or racist or other disruptive type of stuff happen as frequently? I'm guessing the answer is that a lot of the crap would go away. Could be wrong, we could just end up with 450 John Smith's instead of nicknames... :)

I also agree that you would lose some users so it is a tough trade-off, but one I have seen as beneficial on some other forums.

Charles

I personally don't feel anyone should be forced to use their real name. I run a forum with a very large database of users, one member inperticular used his first name on the board and let it publically known who he works for. He had 15,000 posts. Yes 15,000 posts, one of our top vetern members. Needless to say he posted inappropriate material from time to time and was reported and fired from his job froma client. The client was googling the company and came across his account.

I don't like people hiding behind a keyboard either, but this is the internet and being anonymous definitely has its pros.

Your veteran member was a dumbass, the only person to blame was himself.

I like the use of nicknames. They often show a person's personality, his preference, a special knack for things etc etc. I see a lot of great nicknames. Some were given when we were younger and others took a lot of thought, humour and even some original thinking. Our names were not chosen by ourselves or given to us after a few decades on this planet. My first name is Daniel. There are tons of those all over the place. For some reason, in all the movies, the name "Dan" is never associated with a bad guy....which is nice but there is a limit to seeing the same name. My nickname immediately shows that I like/play blues music. Being on this site means I like fishing. It sounds like a masculin name (very important) and there very few people use this nickname. As for my true identity, I give it out freely for the asking.

I personally prefer to use a nickname. I find humor in it.

Like others have mentioned, posting pictures of your self is just like using your real name. A picture says a thousand words right.

I think there's a foot ball league out there that you can have a nickname on your jersy, rather then your real name (maybe not any more).

I guess it's "fun" to give yourself a cool nickname rather then your real name.

Either way, I think the choice should be up to the user. If the policies where changed, and we were "forced" to use our real name, I would comply.

But I am wanted in 7 states not to mention most of Canada....... :P

OK, OK, my real name is Bobby Pin or is it Jim Gymnasium........get my point....I can make up my real name just as well as my nickname.

BTW my real name is Bob.

Billy Bob

you wanted too~ :D

as for made up names , it was something like they'll sent you a letter and you attach a copy of your I.D showing your address. something like that, not sure about the enforcement, but that dont matter. or i'd be mr snifalotagas

some discussions can get really heated ,even if your not being a smart azztroid, it could be something you really believe in and some other folk dont agree, also some folks can be very vindictive and draw your face on a dart board so to say, eg of some hot topics are.....

say the lake trout buddy caught and kept, the big lk. ont fish, loads of people didnt like that...

pictures of out of season fish...those can be hot topics! love those...he he

the how should i hold a fish was a good one....vertical... no horizontal...no vertical....no horizontal ahh the memories..

right down to should the anthem be played at schools.. no yes, no,yes. you unpatriotic PR...bla bla bla and so on.

auto industry,

religion. etc

this being an open PUBLIC forum , some people may really not want their real names first and last posted on the internet in fear of that ONE freak who'll hang you from the pine tree by your bottom lip, cause you dont think it matters if you hold a fish vertical? as an open public free forum on the internet shouldn't it be our right to not show our full first and last name?

what about google? wont your name show up if you do a name search?

I just think it'll be way too easy for some nut like me to find you if you pizz me off! again jokes.. :D

Edited by BUSTER

I prefer real names as well. Using a sobriquet in a forum shows that you don't trust your friends and usually comes back to show what kind of an individual you are. I especially like the cute handles such as "salmonoid killer", "bass squasher " .. it lends to the conservation theme that we try to instill doesn't it?

Actually though, it doesn't much matter because when someone shows up on the net, you know exactly where they live so the whole "I'll change my name" thing becomes childish.

How do you do? My name is SUE! :D

I prefer real names as well. Using a sobriquet in a forum shows that you don't trust your friends and usually comes back to show what kind of an individual you are. I especially like the cute handles such as "salmonoid killer", "bass squasher " .. it lends to the conservation theme that we try to instill doesn't it?

Actually though, it doesn't much matter because when someone shows up on the net, you know exactly where they live so the whole "I'll change my name" thing becomes childish.

How do you do? My name is SUE! :D

i like the my name is sue song!

for the record i live off free wi-fi so wouldnt the I.P be from who i steal it from?

Typed my "real" name in a PM once and the filter changed it LOL

I like that we have the choice.

I'd start a game here "Guess Bly's real name" but the censors would make a travesty of it. :P

I gues you can't even tell us what it is, can you?

JF

The "Big Ugli" has been a nickname before I started using the internet. Went hand in hand with UgliBoys Baits. When I was a teen the nickname was the "Ugli Finn" ( had a very bad temper back then :blush: ) Some nicknames are as much a part of us as our real names.

I like the real name thing too. When I originally registered I used a nickname but I got tired of introducing myself with two names whenever I met someone from the board.