very big lake trout

msp

My oldman won the Lake Trout category in the St.Catharines Game and Fish derby when I was a kid.

Still have the mount downstairs :) He won a Johnson 9.9, some berkley rods and a wackload of other stuff.

by all accounts its been a great year on Lake O for lakers....

the St Cath derby ususally gives a good representation of the Laker fishery As does the vrious LOC derbies held on the NY side of the lake. The last few yrs most of the 1st place lakers are generally 20-24lbs. I cant remember the last time there was one over 25.

Catch of a liftetime for 'ol Roho indeed. Congrats once again bud. :thumbsup_anim:

I would have kept it as well.

Had this picture sent to me today.

Apparently it was Lake Ontario out in the west end.

29++++ pounds.

The picture was taken at Fishermans Pier under the Skyway bridge.

You can see the Steel companies in the background. Must be recent as there doesn't seem to be as much smoke/steam coming from them as usual.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i don't see the point in keeping a trophy sized fish of a species that isn't doing so well in lake ontario but it was within his "legal" right.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

i don't see the point in keeping a trophy sized fish of a species that isn't doing so well in lake ontario but it was within his "legal" right.

It's a tournament, or are people forgetting that?

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

not forgetting, i just care more about the health of a fishery and anglers attitudes towards conservation than i do a competition.

nice fish regardless.

Fish looks almost too fat. Is that common for bigger fish from Lake O?

I'd almost venture to guess thats a sterile female based on the sloppy stomach and seemingly too short length. The way the tail gets fat right away...

Nice fish anyways. Just reminds me of that 102lber from Athabasca

now that's a lake trout

he had every right to keep it, if he wanted to

so I will not try to impose my morals on him

That is correct!