I've been busy......

Sinker

Yep, spring is here, that's for sure.

I've been busy, as I am every year at this time. Turkeys, panfish, and trout......life is good.

I started with the perch. and did very well with them. We got into some great fish, and crazy numbers. I didn't take many pictures of them unfortunatly.

Next up was turkeys. I headed out with a buddy of mine and tagged out in two days. First day got me a 16 lb. jake, and my buddy got a 21lb tom. A true double to start the season......sweet!

Jake....

P4270054.jpg

P4270068.jpg

P4270065.jpg

Our double....

P4270056.jpg

Second day, my buddy was tagged out, so he called for me. Had a lot of birds work us, but none that I could get a shot on. We had a pair of toms in range, but they wouldn't separate enough for a shot. Finally, had to let them work away from us, and do a quick run around the property to cut them off on their way to a feeding area. We got set up just in time for me to whack this big fella.

P4280076.jpg

P4280074.jpg

P4280073.jpg

Pretty feathers on them.....

P4280079.jpg

P4280078.jpg

Heres a s hot from the first day. Our two birds are there, dead, and there are 6 more legal birds in the shot. they hung around for at least an hour after we shot.

P4270048.jpg

These guys were also in the field in the other direction.

P4270052.jpg

Next up on the spring list is usually crappies, but most years I do this in between turkey hunting. No time for slabs yet, but they're gonna get it tomorrow. Instead of crappies, this week I noticed a lot of bugs coming out. It must be trout time!!!!!

First up was specks. We arrived at my favourite speck hole to this.....

P3080070.jpg

We said hello to the locals.....

P3080071.jpg

And started our first troll. I had silver/red worm harness dragging behind the boat. On the first point, whammo....fish on. It took less than 5 mins to get my first fish.

P3080068.jpg

I swung the boat around and hit the same structure again, and it was a repeat. I had my dinner :)

P3080069.jpg

My buddy was having troubles in the hook set department,and couldn't land a fish to save his life. Luckily, I pulled through and got us these 4 for dinner.

P3080073.jpg

We were off the water around 11, had lunch and refreshments, then headed to lake #2. Not a hit, not a rise, nothing at that lake, so we headed back home to eat our trout, and kill a 26er of gibsons around the campfire.

Next day, up early, and on the water for first light. Today was a new thing for us both. Inland rainbows. Neither of us had fished them before, so we figured what the heck, lets giver a go. Boy, did we have fun. We found the fish feeding on the surface. I was kicking myself for not bringing the fly rod!! It would have been chaotic with a light fly rod in there today!! The fish were over deep water, anywhere from 30-60fow, but feeding off the surface. With no flies, we needed to find a pattern that would get these guys. I kept my same set up with the silver/red spinner, but took off all the weight, and only let out a short cast behind the boat. It was game over for them bows after that.......we had a blast!!!!!! Landed easily over 20 fish, lost at least that many more. They were on fire!!! I got my first, my PB and the most inland bows I've ever seen in my life. Truely a day to remember!! I guess you could call it EPIC :lol:

P3080075.jpg

P3080076.jpg

P3080077.jpg

Our take home :)

P3080078.jpg

Did I mention I love this time of year :D Slabs are gonna get a beating tomorrow ;)

Sinker

Those Turkey's aren't nearly that ugly when you buy them in the store.... and there sure does seem to be a lot of them all bunched up there... were you hunting in a pen??? ;)

Those are some real purdy Troots!!!... how do you cook them?

Excellent report and pics Sinker!!! :thumbsup_anim:

That's awesome man!

Can't believe those turkeys hung around with 2 of them shot LOL!

I remember years ago I fished a rainbow lake in the Haliburton wildlife reserve and encountered the exact same scenario.

They were boiling and rising everywhere over deep water and I had no fly rod.

I ultimately threaded a nightcrawler onto my hook with no weight and lobbed it out into the rising fish working it back slowly. That worked as well and pretty similar to your story.

love to try wild turkey ....are they more leaner than grain fed?

They are very lean, but awesome eating. The tom fed 7 adults and 3 kids, and still enough left overs for sandwhiches and such, then a big ole pot of turkey soup!! Even my wife loved it, and she doesn't do well with wild game!

Those Turkey's aren't nearly that ugly when you buy them in the store.... and there sure does seem to be a lot of them all bunched up there... were you hunting in a pen??? ;)

Those are some real purdy Troots!!!... how do you cook them?

Excellent report and pics Sinker!!! :thumbsup_anim:

Glen, this property was stacked with birds. We had 18 legal birds in front of us the first morning. They didn't budge, even after we both shot a bird. They're really wary, but pretty dumb..... LOL The specks were just rolled in flour,and fried in butter. Easy sleasy.........the bows are marinated and ready for the BBQ tonight for dinner :thumbsup_anim:

That's the kind of busy anyone could be happy with. :)

I guess you'll soon be throwing whities into the mix. ;)

Well, I won't get at the whities until after the long weekend, but if your talking white sturgeon, well, that's next week in BC :clapping::thumbsup_anim:

That's awesome man!

Can't believe those turkeys hung around with 2 of them shot LOL!

I remember years ago I fished a rainbow lake in the Haliburton wildlife reserve and encountered the exact same scenario.

They were boiling and rising everywhere over deep water and I had no fly rod.

I ultimately threaded a nightcrawler onto my hook with no weight and lobbed it out into the rising fish working it back slowly. That worked as well and pretty similar to your story.

Its quite the site to seem them rising like that. They were coming up right at the boat even........I was in shock!! They didn't hesitate to smash our spinners though. You could see them fighting over which one was going to get it......unreal. We were trolling fast, and the spinners were no more than 50ft back. You'd see a boil, then a bow come flying out of the water........friggen awesome!!!

Sinker

Great report and pics Sinker :thumbsup_anim:

That is one hell of a great season starter!!!! Congratulations :clapping::worthy:

Just doesn't get any better than that and like you said at the beginning, life is good!!!

I also liked to close up shots of the feathers B)

Tell me, how many birds are you allowed to take for the season??

Again great job and thanks for sharing

Leechman

Great report and pics Sinker :thumbsup_anim:

That is one hell of a great season starter!!!! Congratulations :clapping::worthy:

Just doesn't get any better than that and like you said at the beginning, life is good!!!

I also liked to close up shots of the feathers B)

Tell me, how many birds are you allowed to take for the season??

Again great job and thanks for sharing

Leechman

Thanks Leechman,

Your allowed 2 birds per hunter, but only one per day.

Usually turkey hunting takes up my fishing time, but this year has been a lucky one for me :thumbsup_anim:

Sinker