Why do they do that

Dara

So I go back to take another look at the Princecraft yesterday.

The salesman really wants to sell a boat..by talking, not dropping the price, not that i asked or anything. You give me your best price, and I'll decide from there. After I decide, maybe I'll push for a few freebies.

He decides to trash the competition.

He says, you know Sylvan and smokercraft and legend are all made by the same company. And, guys have been telling me that they leak. They leave metal shavings in the boats and they don't seal proper and the company won't fix em.

First off, I don't need a salesman that trashes the competition.

Second, he now has me wondering, so as much as I hate to do it, I gotta ask. Has anybody heard of troubles like this? Cause I am liking the Sylvan better.

Sounds like his sales tactic worked lol, hes got you wondering

Of course he does. I'm about to drop a lot of coin on a toy. I don't need a piece of junk.

I'm buying new because I don't want somebodys problems.

I got metal shavings in my Lund :o:o

Too bad these salespeople feel they have to tear down other brands to make them selves look good.

I used to help a friend out in the a/c business ( home shows etc) Customers favorite question at the booth was what makes your brand so much better than the rest .. his answer 'nothing . all the major brands are good products '

he would then talk about his install and service being the difference.Worked for him.

always liked that answer :)

TB

Edited by tinbanger

what it boils down to is the bang for your buck.

We could debate(and have) for days on who builds a better boat.

It's all about how comfortable you are with a certian dealer. That's the questions I'd really be asking, what's your experience with such and such marine?

It's all about how they take care of you, by the sounds of it this fella's techniques are shady to start with so I'd avoid him, maybe not that line of boat, but definatly that dealer..

Just my 2 cents...

p.s. if you have looked into them, check out the polarkraft line as well. I've got one and absolutely love it, very well built boat.

I was looking for a 14' foot boat. Went to the show and looked at all makes. I knew what I wanted the boat to have and from there was looking for the best price. In the end it came down to Legend or Princecraft. I ended up with the Legend because it was 1,500 less. Also the dealer was 10 minutes away from me. If I would have bought the Princecraft I would have paid more and drove hour and half to get to the dealer for pretty much the same boat. So far I'm happy with the boat. No problems. Time will tell. All boat companys make good boats. Think about it, if they really made that bad a boat I don't think they'd be in business. Just buy what you want. Make sure it has everything your looking for. What's it matter if you buy the best boat ever make and it doesn't suit your purpose. If that's the case I guess we should all be buying Ranger Z20' for 100,000 but were not are we. Plus buy from a good dealer. If the guy has to bash other boats to make his better then that doesn't say much for his line of boats.

I think Tinbangger hit the nail on the head. Apples to apples most units are going to meet your needs - and I,m sure every manufacturer has a lemon every now and then. What can really make the difference with anything you buy is the after sales support. Nothing worse than buying something you like and finding out after the fact the dealer/salesman etc couldn't care less about your issues/problems or questions.

Smokercraft is a top notch boat..they make the legend rivetted hull boats (welded hull is/was Monarch boats)

The majority of the boats we see very day are still in business for a reason. Decide on your needs and get that satisfied within your budget. Look at your likeliest place to fish as well.

I could not think of a better boat for places like the kawarthas or the west arm than my old smokercraft, but if I was going to be on erie, I'd want wayne's Lund.

All I can say is that your salesman is a boob. If you do decided on a princecraft at least do yourself a favor and don't buy it from him. If all he can do is bash the competition, how nobel and accommodating do you think he'll be if you need to have anything fixed shortly after the purchase?

Personally I'm a G3 guy, but that's because I own a G3 and have fished out of my friends 17 footer for the past two years. I can't give you any insight on any of the others, as my only other boat was an old school starcraft.

Good luck with the purchase, and be sure to post some pix of your new toy.

cheers,

UF

I don't have any problems with my Sylvan

most times people insult the other guy when you have run out of good things to say about your own

Waynes boat is too big and shiny ....LOL

Edited by Terry

If you want to get some add on sweets heres what I would do.

Figure out what boat/ model you want.Once you know it,work on a couple of dealers on the price.Dont get all personal with them.Just thanks for your help,hope to get back to you.Once you have the price you want,then you can ask for some toys.It will be a buyers market this year.New dosent mean better.

IMO.

I bought a starcraft in 1975 and used it uptil 2001 when I got my new boat. My hunting partner bought a sylvan and he told me the guy that designed the starcraft supersport like mine was a fellow named sylvan who left starcraft to start his own boat company. His sylvan was identical to my starcraft, so what does that tell you, different name, same boat.

I would go to the dealer that promises and DELIVERS THE BEST SERVICE. that can be worth several dollars in your pocket and the satisfaction that your boat will be cared for properly and the warranty honoured.

Whatever you choose, enjoy it.

Princecraft makes a great boat. I have a Lund - amazing boat too. Buy what you want, but don't buy from him!

cheers!

IF you do purchase a boat at that dealership because that's the boat you really want request a different salesmen so he doesn't pocket any profit from you.

BTW...... I used to think LUND was by far the best ALUMINUM fishing boat out there but now since they were bought out by Brunswick I no longer believe that. They seem cheaper built now trying to maximize their profit..... (i don't own a Lund).

Bob

I was looking for a 14' foot boat. Went to the show and looked at all makes. I knew what I wanted the boat to have and from there was looking for the best price. In the end it came down to Legend or Princecraft. I ended up with the Legend because it was 1,500 less.

Better hope you don't have to get anything done on warranty!!

I'll NEVER buy Legend again!!

I'm buying new because I don't want somebodys problems.

I wouldn't look at it like that, people don't trade boats just because they have problems.

You'll lose close to half of what you paid for that "toy" when you buy brand new.

I would rather buy a couple year old "premium" boat than a brand new "average" boat. Not saying the brands your looking at are bad companies... because I'm not familiar with them. IMO, a couple year old boat has had time to have the problems (if any) worked out and is way cheaper than brand new. Im new to the boat thing, but from my understanding, LUND is one of the top brands right ? why not look for a 2-3 yr old lund ?

Im a salesman, and bashing the competitor is one thing I NEVER do... I sell John Deere farm equipment, and I tell everyone that John Deeres are just like any other tractor, they have 4 wheels ( sometimes more haha), an engine, and a transmission, the same as everyone else. ALL MACHINES MADE BY MAN WILL BREAK at some point or another.My job is to tell you how our products "features" will benefit you more than the competition.

Like it was already said... Buy from the dealer that will help you AFTER the sale. I keep my cell phone on me at all times and I tell my customers to call if they have any problems or questions, weather it be a chain saw, or a $200,000 combine, that they can call me ANYTIME day or night.

Our local dealer here.... no matter how good of a deal they can come up with... I dont think I would ever buy anything from them. I think if your not spending at least $2-300,000, your not considered to be worth there time. It sucks because they are pretty much the only dealer with in an hour.

Edited by Lunker777

Bought a Legend brand new in 2003, I wasn't using it as much as I liked so I sold it to my brother. Welded hull manufactured by Monarch, solid boat never a problem for me or my brother in the last 6 years. I looked at alot of boats when I was shopping and personally I do not have a bad thing to say about any of the manufacturers that I looked at. Find the boat that suits your needs and at the price that suits your budget, pretty much all the boat brands available will fulfill the duties that the average joe fisherman will require them to perform( unless you are planning on doing some Alaskan Crab fishing?).