Long Poing Softwater Perchin'

The weather websites were all calling for sunshine and calm waters friday afternoon which after a long winter of slaying gobies with Averie was just to perfect of conditions to pass up! So I was up early and in the office before 7 a.m. so I could peace out early and hit the bay!

Cardinal doing his thing that morning....

IMG_4294.jpg

I shot Dave a quick e-mail to get confirmation that it'd be ok to sneak out of the office early, and his reply was "sorry Ryan, you spent to much time arguing with some dude ON OFC about holding up two trophy bass for a picture yesterday" LOL he was obviously kidding, but be careful, YOUR boss could be watching to!! lol

Anyways onto the fishing....

The original plan was a solo mission for pike, but Averie caught wind of the fact that I was going fishing and that was that, my solo pike mission turned into a Daddy / Daughter perch outing.

By 3:30 we had everything ready and set out for the 20 minute ride down to the bay.

IMG_4197.jpg

Helping with the boat tie down straps...

IMG_4238.jpg

Averie walks the plank...Her first time walking down the dock alone...

th_MVI_4199.jpg

The bay was FLAT AS GLASS and there wasn't another boat in sight.

IMG_4205.jpg

IMG_4224.jpg

Averie was using minnow's and I was chucking swimbaits for pike.

IMG_4212.jpg

So she lost a couple minnow's and it was impossible for me cast and retrieve while trying to help her at the same time so I gave up and decided to fish perch as well. I turned around to get my ultralight rod ready and Averie SCREAMS "DADDY MY MINNOW IS WIGGLING"...So I turn around and her little ice fishing rod is BUCKLED lol I screams back IT'S A FISH AVERIE REEL REEL REEL!!! lol so after a short battle she managed to boat her first ever, and PB perch. A very respectable 12/13 incher!

IMG_4213.jpg

After that she got ripped off for a good dozen minnows in a row and I didn't get sniff. Averie had a bright orange and chartreuse hook so I figured what the hell, put one of those bright hooks on my rig and followed up right away with a much smaller specimen. Which she calls "the baby perch"lol

Mommy snapped this for us back on dry land...

IMG_4251.jpg

Averie had some snacks and enjoyed some time playing with the minnows until mommy phoned us up and said it was time for dinner @ great grandma's house (down by the lake).

IMG_4219.jpg

IMG_4207.jpg

As a kid I loved fishing but one of my favorite parts of fishing as a kid was the ride home with my old man, chatting and reflecting on our day. I hope Averie enjoys it as much as I did.

IMG_4245.jpg

Back at great grandmas we enjoyed a nice sunset, then daddy had a few wobbly pops and we passed out on the couch! Just a short 2hours on the water but it's hard to beat times like that.

IMG_4254.jpg

IMG_4293.jpg

Sorry bout all the reading, but it was day that I just had to share.

Good luck out there and play safe! Gotta love the softwater season!

By the way - the water was 47 degree's and we only got fish in 8 FOW fishing the weedline about a mile out from shore....

Cheers,

UF

Edited by The Urban Fisherman

That's fantastic...have 4 of my own and can't wait to get back out. I have a lot of family history down that way-my great-grandparents had a farm just outside of Port Rowan and my uncle used to guide out of LP. Where did you launch from?

Even if it was only 2 hours, it was prime time with your little one. I'd take that kinda day anytime.

The smiles on Averie's face say it all. :thumbsup_anim:

yeah man - a big smile on her face beats a chasing gators any day!

Great report Ryan & Averie!

I loved the video, is it like that every time you go out with Dave too?

-Brian

Thanks Buddy - what the fact that her fish was bigger than mine? Yeah I'm used to it! <_<

That really warmed the heart. I look forward to more of your posts. Thanks.

Thanks man - they shall come... We're having another baby anytime now, so Averie will probably be with me for every outing this season. Can't leave mommy home with both of the runts!

That's fantastic...have 4 of my own and can't wait to get back out. I have a lot of family history down that way-my great-grandparents had a farm just outside of Port Rowan and my uncle used to guide out of LP. Where did you launch from?

Hey fishboy - my wife's entire family is from Langton, Port Rowan and St. Williams. Do you know any Woodwards (there's alot of them lol) or Anderson's? Maybe the Propper's? My wife's cousin owns and runs Erie Bait Limited in St. Williams... We launched from Aker's which is just down the hill from my wife's grandmothers place.

What a sweetheart! That video is priceless.

Thanks for sharing it.

Jim

Thanks Jim - I've been trying to take more vid's lately. I can't believe she's going to be 3 this year, and I've barely taken any video's of her so that's my mission for '09.

Soft water...caught fish....time with the little angler....Man thats a great way to spend an afternoon!

I'm jealous LOL!

Thanks for sharing.

AND it was a Friday! :P I've been on a high all weekend.

Can't beat a day like that Ryan !! Enjoy them all while you can.

Thanks Irish - Hopefully she'll still want to share some time on the water with the old man in a few year...

Alright Gents - My wife's got me on a cleaning mission. Spring cleaning before the new little runt is born. The room's painted, crib is up, now we just have to clean this joint up before the sleepless nights and poopy diapers. I'm sure Limey know's all about that right now!

Thanks for the kind comments.

Peace - UF

Hi UF: I can't say I do, but I'll see what my mom remembers...the family name was Humphrey but there are no direct descendants left now. I do remember going to family dinners at my great-grandmothers; they sold the farm before my time and moved into town (Rowan) and lived on the block behind the main street (Ellis I think). I can still find my way there.

That is great. I have 3 girls. oldest 7 and the youngest is 2. WHen I take all three out it is mayhem! But I love it. My kids love to fish for the minnows in the bucket. Poor minnow take a beating everytime we go out.

Congrats on the PB perch. Looks like dinner to me. nice

Great report, pics and video Ryan :thumbsup_anim:

Avery such a sweetheart... good on ya for taking her out for some quality time :clapping:

Congratulations on her PB.... a real hog she caught :clapping: Make sure she gets a high five on that one :thumbsup_anim:

Enjoyed the video of her walking to the boat!!!! Awesome :clapping:

Thanks for sharing

Leechman

What can i say....AWESOME.....

bit scary about big brother watching your posts....lol

Dude...that video is awsome...what a cute kid!

I'm enjoying our newborn baby...but i'm really looking forward to going fishing with him soon.

Priceless...thanks for sharing.