So, 2 Rednecks go Fishin'...

Greencoachdog

My old buddy Lester was up from Baton Rouge today to pic up his daughter tomorrow for spring break (the joys of being a divorced parent). He called me up last night and asked if I wanted to go fishin' today, my answer was yeah... but Hell Yeah!!!

He's staying with his dad (Dan) that has a nice place on Logan Martin not far from the boat launch that I use. I told him I'd bring my boat up and we'd look for some Crappie... we didn't find any Crappie that were willing to bite, but found some Channel and Blue cats that wanted to play. So that's what we ended up fishing for today.

Remember my high tech tripod?

Well, it takes good buddy pics too!

DSC01695.jpg

We didn't really catch anything of any size, but we had a great time catching up and reliving old times!!!

I did manage to get a few more inches for Team #1 Slammers!!!... not big, but inches are inches! ;)

... an 11 1/2" Spotted Bass.

DSC01697.jpg

This little snot was a Kamikaze! He blasted a minnow on a Sabiki rig that was 8' deep in 30' of water, we had just gone over a hump and had reeled up so not to snag... I was dropping my second line down when he hit the shallow one!

Got a 12 1/2" Channel cat too!

DSC01701.jpg

Like I said, nothing big... but we had a great time!!! :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Someone had just built this rather ornate boat shed and I snapped a pic to show:

DSC01704.jpg

Here's the days catch:

DSC01706.jpg

They did not swim free... Lester sez if they have a pair of eyes, a butthole, and it ate a 10 cent minnow... it's a keeper! :w00t:

One last pic of my ol' buddy.

DSC01702.jpg

As you may be able to tell by our clothes, it was kinda chilly today... but still an excellent day I wouldn't trade for anything!!!

Edited by GCD

Really glad you had a great time Glen. Nice to see Bubba Lester in good shape too! It's a tremendous feeling to meet up with buds we get along with so well. I'm happy you both had a good day...thanks for sharing that.

Great report and pics Glen :thumbsup_anim:

Got to love it when old acquaintance get together and spend quality time on the water :thumbsup_anim:

Doesn't get any better than that!!

Congratulations to both of you :clapping: may not be the biggest like you said..... but at least you got some B)

Great job job you guys and thanks for sharing

Jacques

Hey GCD, great report! That's not a bad day at all, seems like you always got catfish to fall back on, but that's a really nice bass! Too bad about not hitting the crappie, but I'm sure the next few weeks will bring them on. I've never targeted crappie, but have caught some while nightfishing for bass off docks with good lighting, in the middle of summer. I plan to go all out on them this spring in Ontario soon as ice-out. Always good to be on the water with a friend period! Good stuff.

There is no better way to spend a day, than fishin with a good buddy!

Fish are just a bonus.......its all about quality time. I get the feeling you's fella's had some catchin up to do out there Glen. By the looks of the smiles, ya's both had a great day!

Thanks for the warm report,

Sinker

awee..you poor guys had to wear your coats :lol:

how many times did you had to chip the ice of the eyes of your rod, or did your bow mount get all flash frozen the first time you took it in and out of the water for the day :dunno::P

way to go for our team GCD :worthy:

we will soon be hitting the 200 mark...we haven't even got any really big fish on the board yet...and we got some great anglers on the team that know where to find them :Gonefishing:

Thanks for the kind words y'all! :thumbsup_anim:

Spiel Posted Today, 05:35 AM

Well I just gots to ask GCD, when is the smilin man from Baton Rouge going to make his first post?

I've tried to get him to join, but he just doesn't care anything about computers and the internet. :rolleyes:

holdfast Posted Yesterday, 10:58 PM

Ahh two good ole Boys. Like the Jacket. Too Bad no Crappie pics, but anyhoot the catfish pics are a treat. Do you eat those things, if so how do you cook Them. Sometimes I find cats taste good, or Muddy.

We cook them 3 ways down here... fried, fried, and fried!!!

I think a lot of the muddy taste comes from people that don't keep or clean their fish properly. I either keep my fish alive or on ice from the time they come off the hook until cleaning time. I've seen so many people just stick them in a bucket or let them lay in the bottom of the boat to die, turn stiff and dry out... disgusting! Fish start decomposing as soon as it dies!

Hacking thru and ungutted organ cavity with a fillet knife isn't good either... I'd rather not have my fillets smeared with feces and bladder bile thank you very much!

Another major cause of strong or muddy flavor in fish is the fish's blood. Fish with a heavy lateral line (blood line) on the skin side of a fillet will taste strong or muddy if the line isn't removed while cleaning.

I don't ever have a problem with my fish tasting bad... but I'm very picky about the way my fish are handled and clean. ;)

holdfast Posted Yesterday, 10:58 PM

Ahh two good ole Boys. Like the Jacket. Too Bad no Crappie pics, but anyhoot the catfish pics are a treat. Do you eat those things, if so how do you cook Them. Sometimes I find cats taste good, or Muddy.

Yes he is, maybe not this year... but we've talked about it!

He also asks about all y'all :canadian: whenever I talk to him.

Cudz Posted Yesterday, 09:40 PM

hopin for nudes. lol

nice spotted bass (that is what it is isn't it?)

The nudie shots should be coming out next month! B)

Yes, he was a cold and hungry little Spotted Bass. :)

Awe, man, imagine my disapointment when I thought I read "Two red heads go fishing" only to see those less than attractive non red heads in the pics! :wallbash:

Thanks for the report... please try to read my mind better in the future!

HH