Bahama Bones & Early Morning Perchin'

Long story short, Dave phoned me up a few months back to let me know we'd be shooting a Bonefish show in the Bahamas, and wanted to know if my wife would like to tag along for the shoot! :thumbsup_anim: Better friends and employers you will not find!!! Sunday morning Dave, Myself, Richie (other camera operator) and our wives headed to the Bahama's for 4 nights @ Emerald Palms Resort for some world class Bone fishing. We shot an awesome show, and enjoyed a couple days away from the cold.

It was the first time either myself or Ginny had been on a trip like this, truly a trip of a lifetime!

BahamasTrip-Jan42009054.jpg

Bone fish are hands down, pound for pound the hardest fighting fish I've ever seen. A 6 pounder will spool you with little effort! They just never give up...

BahamasTrip-Jan52009023.jpg

Ginny was fighting this guy and a barracuda smashed it on the way in, ripping it in half!

BahamasTrip-Jan52009033.jpg

The next day I did a little bit of surf fishing while Ginny walked the beach looking for shells for our daughter.

BahamasTrip-Jan72009015.jpg

I was just throwing a powerbait twister tail on a jig, and there was plenty of these little guys to keep me busy.

BahamasTrip-Jan72009022.jpg

BahamasTrip-Jan72009023.jpg

Then reality set in and we had to head back to Canada thursday morning. So friday I spent the day catching up on some computer work, and at the crack of dawn this morning I hit a local reservoir for some perch action. By the time I got bait and a coffee it was 8 a.m. and the fishing was on fire right off the bat. I got 11 keepers before 9 a.m. then it died down and I only managed 1 more keeper and a couple OOS largies by 10 a.m. So I packed it in and was home with dinner by 10:30.

First Ice fish of 2009 and healthy 11.5 incher.

n502461579_1748356_8386.jpg

Most productive bait was a small buckshot tipped with a minnow. Bounced off bottom in 18 to 23 FOW.

n502461579_1748357_8704.jpg

And tonight's dinner....

n502461579_1748359_9251.jpg

Good luck out there and be safe. I found a few spots on the lake that only had 2 inches of good clear ice with 6 inches of slushy frozen stuff on top.

Cheers,

UF

Fantastic, you're a lucky man! And a big congrat's to the both of you! :thumbsup_anim:

Here's to a healthy happy new arrival!

Thanks Solo - I know I'm a lucky man, at work and at home.... and can't wait for the new baby come april!

Fantastic UF. Always enjoy the far and away reports no matter what but this was made even better by having both success with the bones and the company of your wife. Congrats to you two. Thanks for the report.

And btw... Dave who and what show? :huh:

Hey Moosebunk - I know it wasn't as extensive as your remote reports, but I've got a lot on the go right now so had to keep it short.... I work for Dave Mercer on Facts of Fishing THE SHOW. I just don't want to sound like a broken record so I don't repeat it all the time when I do reports... As I said in my original post, him and his wife are awesome friends and employers. They'll do anything for anyone without asking for anything in return.

Cheers,

UF

Great report!

Ahhhhh....gonna have to call my brother in law and use his place in Antigua some time soon.

Never caught a bone fish myself but the exact same bite off thing happened to me in antigua. I was fishing the mangrove flats....had waded half a mile out into the bay....was pulling in a 3 foot barracuda...when somthing ripped into it, lol...pulled in a 1 1/2 foot barracuda....i felt a bit vulnerable standing waste high in the water in the middle of the bay a good 1/2 mile from land with a 3 foot baraacuda eater nearby...lol.

Thanks for sharing

and congrats to you and Ginny for the baby.

Simon

Great report and pics Urby!!! :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

That Dave is really a stand-up kinda guy eh!!! :clapping:

I'd have had to cut off a chunk of that bitten Bonefish and thrown it back out there to see if Mr. 'Cuda was still hungry!!! :P

The guide and I did go in after it! but by the time we got a picture of Ginny holding the half eatin' bone he had peaced out.

n502461579_1744313_9091.jpg

Tell me this gore shot of the bone wouldn't look appealing to a cuda! lol

n502461579_1744312_8784.jpg

Here's some scenery shots I dug up to. What a place man, I'd definitely recommend Emerald Palms for anybody looking to do some flats fishing in the Bahamas!

n502461579_1735520_2833.jpg

n502461579_1735512_7698.jpg

n502461579_1744119_7660.jpg

n502461579_1744321_1529.jpg

Nice winter break for sure !!!! thats nice of dave to offer that for you guys, :whistling::clapping: glad you got a few hours of bone fishin in too,they sure do look pretty,and man oh man they fight so hard,too bad you didnt land that big cuda,that bit her fish in half !!! man ii would love to do that,type of sight fishin for bones.....thanks for making us all jelous..lol..lol. cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Wow...great report Ryan! Your wife at 6 months pregnant looks stellar!!

It's awesome you got some fishing in during the time down there...as much as it's hard work what you do, it looks like it can be pretty darned exciting at times too.

I literally felt the cold weather when the report switched from sunny and warm to the ice report!!! LOL