Have You Lost Anything Down The Hole?

Clampet

Reminds when I was 13 years old, a friend of mine, Claude Castilloux, and I decided we would walk the mile out to the 1st point on Cache Bay, ON Lake Nipissing to try our luck ice fishing.

We had borrowed some gear like tip ups, and an ice chisel. The ice chisel came from Moise Prudhomme. a local wine connoisseur. :whistling: I remember it was a nice chisel, hand-made, three razor sharp teeth, long tubular steel handle, and a leather wrist strap.

Claude had borrowed it, so he began chopping the ice. As the ice was only about 4 " thick, he only made about 5 jabs at the the ice before he was through. As he made the the last spear at the ice, the chisel broke through and slipped thru his unstrapped, hands down the hole!

Goodbye nice chisel.

I was glad I did not borrow it.

Do any of you have a similar experience to share?

Edited by Clamp-it

Best year of fishing out of my hut was when my uncle lost his minnow bucket down his hole so he moved his hut thinking it would scare the fish away ... I moved my hut onto that hole and had the best fishing i have ever had. I had a buddy drop his cell phone down my hole once. .. another a zippo lighter .. dad lost lense out of his sun glasses while he was bringing up a fish and it went down the auger hole. Lost the net once but then caught it a couple days later.

Only a couple of ice hole slusher's(one retreived with the gaff strapped to a long straight skinny tree), and one cheap jigging rod and reel.

3 buds of mine were fishing on Lake Superior many years ago in 200 ft. of water, and one of the guys lost his jigging rod down the hole after a laker took it(he had not released the bail when he was checking his other line), and about 20 min. later one of the other guys had his line going down. Not exactly fish on, but fishing line on. Up came the jigging rod, and the fish was still on. It was landed.

An odd one up here was a local angler and outdoor writer lost his wallet down the hole one time. A few years later, maybe 10-15 yrs., another guy was setting his line depth while ice fishing, and snagged the wallet back complete with cash, credit cards, licenses, etc... :lol:

I was ice fishing with a friend and his wife a few years back and while removing her mitts, she lost her wedding ring. Not down the hole, but on the snow covered ice somewhere. We looked and looked for it but never found it. A few weeks later we were fishing the same area, and although we were not even looking for it, she found it.

last week i was up at a little speck lake and was chatting on my cell when i had a hit.. walked over to grab it, put the phone in my pocket and as i reached for the line... phone went straight down the hole. lol serves me right.. phones belong at home or at least turned off while up there! lol

Well once while inside my 2 man portable hut,i was jigging away with 2 rods,and when i set one rod on the side of the pail,i was reaching across my body for my thermos of baileys & coffee,when i got a nice bite !!!! well i reached back across my left side and my sleve of my suit caught my 2 month old serengheti sunglasses,and kerplunk !!!! down the hole they went,well to make matters worse,i didnt get the fish or my $200.00 pair of glasses !!!! man was i mad...so for all the years,and man hours on the ice thats about it,other than a few lures here & there...cheers

:whistling::wallbash:

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jason B @ Jan 4 2009, 03:28 PM) 287727[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->hand held gps down the hole last year.

last yr lake joseph trout took rod and real down the hole , later that day we caught two trout , one on the rod that was on the ice and the other from below the ice, recovered rod and and reel and fish

Did that one year here on Simcoe. Budy was yelling up a storm while I was reeling up. Nice laker with an extra line attached. Yep,his tip up was on the other end.

Dont ask how many chiesels I have lost. :wallbash::wallbash:

last week i was up at a little speck lake and was chatting on my cell when i had a hit.. walked over to grab it, put the phone in my pocket and as i reached for the line... phone went straight down the hole. lol serves me right.. phones belong at home or at least turned off while up there! lol

One who always said,what the heck is that doing with you.LOL

Edited by misfish

A couple of rods over the years but the worst was 3 years ago when I had my new Lowrance GPS Expedition C with the new Navionics Gold chip slip out of the top pocket of my floater suit while getting a big laker out of the hole...down she went...ouch! :wallbash:

Years ago while fishing Kinzua Reservoir for walleye I unscrewed the cup from my Stanley thermos to pour a much needed hot cup of coffee. Just before I could pour some coffee into it, it slipped out of my mitt covered hand, slid down my leg and went down the only hole in the ice for MILES. Did you ever try to drink HOT coffee out of a thermos without a cup. My recommendation DON'T :)

Sleded and I were having our usual terrible day on the ice when FINALLY he hooks into a decent crappie. Probably 14 inches. Usually they come in schools in that particular spot so he tosses the fish over to me to cover in snow.. and PLOP it goes right down the hole in front of me. LOL

Also lost scoops and sunglasses leaning over the hole.

Well once while inside my 2 man portable hut,i was jigging away with 2 rods,and when i set one rod on the side of the pail,i was reaching across my body for my thermos of baileys & coffee,when i got a nice bite !!!! well i reached back across my left side and my sleve of my suit caught my 2 month old serengheti sunglasses,and kerplunk !!!! down the hole they went,well to make matters worse,i didnt get the fish or my $200.00 pair of glasses !!!! man was i mad...so for all the years,and man hours on the ice thats about it,other than a few lures here & there...cheers

There's a nice big fat Wall-ice wearing those sunglasses down there Shawn... maybe you'll catch him one day! B)

Bay of Quinte when I was 7 or 8 years old my Grandfather for some reason had the car keys in an outside top coat pocket.

Well you guessed it, we were packing up and he bent over and they slipped into the hole :clapping:

Good thing there was a spare key hidden under the car :rolleyes:

Was good for a laugh!

To top it off we were skunked on that trip.

I know someone who was proudly showing off his new digital camera when it slipped out of his hands and bounced on the floor of the ice bungaloo until it found the hole. Man, I wished I had the camera in my hand when that happened! The look on his face was priceless! The best part though was, talking about it the next morning to the other guys how Roy lost his brand new camera down that (pointing) hole when out of the corner of my eye, I see the camera just underneath the hut. Somehow it managed to hit the side of the hut hole and bounced up onto the ice! Lucky man!

Buddy lost his rod on a fish, I set the hook on a fish about 15 minutes later, land a 5-6 lb walleye with a second lure in it's yap. Line was still attached and pulled in my buddy's rod. The weird part was he wanted to claim the fish because he hooked into it first! ha ha ha

Edited by Ron

I know someone who was proudly showing off his new digital camera when it slipped out of his hands and bounced on the floor of the ice bungaloo until it found the hole. Man, I wished I had the camera in my hand when that happened! The look on his face was priceless! The best part though was, talking about it the next morning to the other guys how Roy lost his brand new camera down that (pointing) hole when out of the corner of my eye, I see the camera just underneath the hut. Somehow it managed to hit the side of the hut hole and bounced up onto the ice! Lucky man!

...Oh boy I almost remember that one very well. ;)