Had to say good-bye today

huey graphite

It's been far too long since I've been on here. Started a new job back in March that occupies way too much of my time. Very little time to check out the forum and even less time to fish. Back in February I wrote a post about my yellow lab Jesse. She had gone in for surgery on her left hind leg after a full blown cruciate tear. Unfortunately it was a little too late. Her other legs were not strong enough to support her long enough for the injury to heal and she had a terrible time walking ever since. Earlier this week we made the most difficult decision I have ever had to and today we took her in to be put down. Part of me realizes keeping her around longer would have been selfish. Part of me feels like I betrayed her. She was by far the most dosile and affectionate animal I had ever seen. She had to be at my side whenever I was home and followed me everywhere. While I was away she refused to eat. My wife would pick up our daughter to the school bus stop each day and all the kids would get off the bus, run past their parents and straight to Jesse.

She would have been 10 next week. She was given to us at the age of 6 after being retired from retriever trial competitions. It was her intense training that made her so obedient but also led to her legs giving out.

One day in July, I was wearing my chest waders and fishing for bass in a river near Georgian Bay. I was lucky enough to get 1 smallmouth that day. Jesse, however was able to retrieve 3 or 4 dead bass on the surface and bring them to shore. I have yet to live that down.

I just felt the need to share. I've attached a picture.

gallery_183_51_16904.jpg

13 years ago i lost my Aussie ( Max ) prematurely...i could never bring myself around to getting another ( Max even saved my life).... until recently ( 5 months) we added a new addition to the family...not an Aussie but a Golden Retiever...Zoe is her name and when i walk through the door she literally shakes of excitement to see me ( kinda like Dino with Flintstone)....Now that Zoe is here i have come to realize what i have been missing for 13 years...Dogs truely are a mans best friend so dont deprive yourself like i did....13 years is way too long !!!!

Max is etched in the memory banks of my life but Im really looking forward to the memories that will come with Zoe.....

Condolences for the loss of Jesse and as stated before ...in your heart of hearts ...you did the right thing

Now lets se if i can post a pic of Zoe

n688451699_1517554_3512.jpg

Sorry to hear the sad news huey, she sounded like quite the dog.

A good dog is about the best friend a man can ask for, but it sounds like you made the best choice for her so she wouldn't be hurting anymore.

As everyone has said, it is such a hard decision to say goodbye. We put down our pup the day before I got married and it was awful. She is still with me and I know she is in a better place and feeling great.....probably sniffin other dogs buts. You did a great thing for your friend!

Sorry for your loss, I just had to put our dog down 2 weeks ago, she was 11, man it is tough to do, do like I did go out and get another as soon as you can,it helps ease the pain a bit, nothing will ever take her place but this seems to help.

I feel your pain bud. I had to put down my best bud last February and it's still tough almost a year later. I still keep her picture on my desk and home and here at work. Even as I type this, I see her picture and it ain't easy keeping the eyes dry. Sorry to hear about your loss.

You did the very difficult but right thing for Jesse. What a great looking dog.

I have a yellow lab that will be 10 in March, he has been a great dog and just follows me everywhere. I retired him from duck hunting this year because it was just to painful to watch him limp around for the next few days after a hunt. This morning after our walk he was limping on his back left leg, usually goes away after a day or two. Hope that I will be as strong as you when it's "Trout's" time to go.