fishing alone

tinbanger

Snagmasterals post re fishing Simcoe alone got me thinking

With most of my available fishing days falling on weekdays I find I most often fish alone.

Don't mind being in the boat alone , but often wonder if I am addding to the risk especially this time of year .

Fishing waters like GBay and Simcoe I often don't see another boat for hours

I am always sure to check the weather forecasts and let my wife know where I am launching , where I'll be fishing and what time I'll be back

GPS and cell on board and planning to add UHF radio for next year .

Also what if I do hook into a big Ski . is it resonable to expect to be able to land it without stressing the fish ...and me!

Doubt I will stop going out alone , just need to carefull

Any other loner fisherman out there ?

TB

I fish alone most of the time, well except for the dog..

I make sure safety is as good as it can and sometimes will even hook a rope up too me as a just in case.

Given the choice of fishing or trying to arrange with someone to go with you too find out there schedule does not fit yours or they cancell at the last min.

GO fishing!

Most of my fishing is by my self most of the time on lake Ontario

fishing for salmon i have all the safety gear you can have

but i never think of it but we all know how fast the water can turn

all you can do is watch what is going on around you

Rob

Being retired and spending most of my time at the lake when everyone else is working, I too spend alot of time fishing alone and really enjoy it and am often on the lake 10-12 hours a day with nobody to talk to 'cept the odd passing seagull.

I always have a cell phone with me & GPS if I need to give my location to anyone, but have never been one to wear a PFD even though I know it's a foolish thing to do. I fish the West Arm of Nippissing at least a couple weeks a year and was out there alone in September 2 or 3 years ago on a very rough day. I looked around and realised how fast I could be in trouble if I went in the drink with no boats anywhere on the lake and not a cottage in sight and me being miles from camp.

I put on a PFD and then fished from the lower level of the boat rather than the raised casting deck and immediately felt much safer and now nearly always wear a PDF when I'm alone in the boat on rough days.

Might not save my butt next time but it sure can't hurt.

Also what if I do hook into a big Ski . is it resonable to expect to be able to land it without stressing the fish ...and me!

And Dave, landing a big musky by yerself is the easy part........trying to get a picture of it and have the whole fish centered in the camera is the hard part :lol:

Cnv0084.jpg

Edited by lew

With my health I have accepted that I should not be in the boat by myself. Heck, there are a lot of days I don't dare drive. If I'm not too bad, that's when I go backpacking with my pair of rods.

Besides do any of us nuts really want to end our days glued to a chair in a nursing home?

yeah very good points forsure guys....now can you just convince my GF that it is safe....only fish alone on water I know and with gps, floater so its pretty safe.....well looks like theres no one to go with today so am going to hit it solo....ahaha....wish me luck

oh ya, forgot to add this.

All you winter steelheaders out there, ICE PICKS (the kind icefishermen use) should be attached to your vest at all times.

Simple reason, if you go in the drink and the current takes you under the ice its game over. Ice picks can help you out big time in not sliding off the bank or pulling yourself out of the drink before it takes you under an ice shelf

I find that as I get older, I get more careful. The reason for this is the fact that I'm looking at more life behind me and less of it ahead so every day is precious. The fact is, though, that everything you do carries a certain amount of risk so all you can do is minimize the risk as much as possible. Will I stop doing things I enjoy because there's risk involved? Never!!!

pretty much the only fishin I spend alone in the boat is up at my trailer...I admit I do not wear a PFD either for the most part, but when it's real choppy or cold I do..the wife always has a pretty good idea of what 3-4 spots on the lake I am fishing. I always bring my cell phone. I have spent many weekdays on the water over the years there being the only boat I see all day pretty much.

The big water, I don't fish alone in the boat..too boring..my ADHD kicks in :lol::lol: , when the water starts to get cold, I always wear my Mustang Floater :Gonefishing:

90% of my fishing is done alone and I just follow a couple of rules...

1) I couldn't stand wearing a big bulky PFD, so I reached into my pocket and spent some $$$$$ for an auto-inflatable PFD that is lightweight and I wear it ALL the time now!!

2) I always keep my cell with me but some of the back trout lakes I go to will not give me any signal....so, to cover that off I leave the name of the lake with my wife, along with GPS waypoints to the lake and an appoximate time that I will back home.

As far as hooking into a big Muskie by myself, I bought a Frabil Power Catch landing net which essentially is like a holding pen. I keep a measuring tape, bolt cutters, and pliers at hands reach and I always setup my tripod with the camera attached before I even set a line out...

So far, so good :thumbsup_anim:

20071006_0003-1.jpg

Edited by TroutnMuskieHunter

i too am guilty of fishing alone ill go alot searching for eyes or bass although i have tons of folks want to hook up sometimes i just want to fish alone you lads know what thats like no one to answer too,come and go as you please,don't have to wait cause they slept in and on and on.

Heading in the am for a goose hunt.......myself :thumbsup_anim:

Hawg Hunter

I am usually out with my partner in crime (my dad) but I do occasionally get out by myself if the oldman isn't up for it. Usually just hit Severn or Gloucestor and pound the shore for a few hours. Never if the weather is bad.

I do however stream fish myself all the time. Always have my cell with me, it's a reasonably safe thing to do.

Never put much thought to it while fishing,but did while Im hunting.

Lost a friend a few years back and the mrs,s is always worried til I walk through the door. Buddy was dragging a deer and had a heart attack. I keep a cell phone handy now,just for her safe thoughts.Hell,how fast can one get there when yer out in the bush.LOL

Good thread.

I fish alone 99% of the time. I don't wear a pfd 90% of the time unless its really rough out or getting near freeze up. Like Lew said, stand on the lower part of the boat and you automatically find yourself more at ease. If you feel sketched out by something, you probably should find a safer way to do it. Accidents are more often than not a result of bad planning, un-organized boat with lures and rods everywhere, etc... I try and make sure, especially with the temps dropping that theres nothing to trip on when fishing standing up.

I fish and hunt alone all the time. I don't mind it one bit. I just make sure I'm extra careful, and keep things under control. I think I know where to draw the line when it comes to solo adventures. I figure if I'm gonna go, I would rather be fishing or hunting, but I'm extra careful when I"m solo...

Sinker

I'm usually a solitary fisherman...I'll go out with the kids but most times I'm alone in the boat.

BUt two weekends ago I was alone IN the creek.. :(

I went out for Specs. I tried to leap over a narrow spot in the creek to get to a pool I've never fished....The creek was wider than I thought...I ended up on my :asshat: in the creek with water over my head and legs stuck in the mud....I managed to grab onto some CATTAILS..and little branches on shore and pulled my head out of the water for a breather.... after about a minute

{felt like a lifetime}..of doing this I started to move my legs around.. I felt a rock or a log under my left heel and gave it all I had ..... I MADE IT OUT! :worthy:

I went back the next day with my wife and kids to get my fishing rod from the bottom of 'Ol Smokey Creek ...I used a stick.

I fell In last fall 54% degree water ...I tripped over my net and in I went off the bow...I was wearing my Ski-Doo suit boots and all... the current brought me right by the transom where I grabbed on and pulled my frozen self into the boat. NO PFD

Needless to say I always wear a PFD now when I'm with my kids or alone.

As for fishing creeks with a PFD forget it....I'll take my chances...again.

:canadian: RFS

Edited by Randy from Sturgeon

There are a lot more dangerous things than fishing alone. Just driving the 401 you are risking your life every time you are out!!!!!!

I do most of my fishing and hunting alone. I camp alone in Grizzly country and the waters I fish will cause hypothermia in a heartbeat. If you use common sense and are prepared you get to live.

In the winter I will take my snowmobile 100 miles from civilization to hit some Laker hotspots, if you are prepared for any problem that might come up it is not nearly as risky as it may sound.

When I'm just out for the day I make sure I have everything I need to survive if something should happen

Can't deer hunt on my own ...colour blind ...blood looks brown on the leaves.

And keep quiet about the cell phone ..also keeps my better half happy

TB

You just take me along ,I can follow the trail and even clean yer kill,,,,just so you dont cut yerself.LOL

Tell ya the story about the year after.The Mrs,s knew about my friend the year before and when I called and told her I had a deer down the first hour of the hunt and was getting ready to gut and drag it out (I was alone).I could hear in in her voice she was concerned. I myself did the drag nice and easy thinking about him all the time. Once I had the deer in the back of the truck ,I called her and well,she was happy to hear. This year Im looking forward to dragging as I am in much better shape and look forward to the workout. :thumbsup_anim:

Now if there was a deer that would help me out with this :whistling::canadian:

Oh there is another story,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Some here remember my outing on Little lake here in Barrie. I did not have the tiller snugged right and was not wearing my PFD.When I reached for my pack of smokes,the motor went left,I went right and in I went at full throttle. Thank GOD,he was watching over me. The boat came right back to me,full circle.Oh ,that was in the fridged waters at the beginning of may that season.