Planes Trains and Automobiles

danc

What does it take to get three people from different parts of the province together to fish for a day or two? Well, in this case it took a train, a plane, and an automobile to get Moosebunk, Irishfield and I together to do just that. Moosebunk left Moose Factory on a train a couple of weeks ago to begin a fishing adventure. I'm sure you'll hear about the first half of his adventure in a week or two. But he eventually ended up in my neck of the woods for the second half of his journey. Irishfield left home Friday morning on his float plane, but we never saw him until Saturday morning. And I simply took the two hour drive to our destination. I met up with MB on Friday evening. He'd been there a couple of days already with a couple of buds from southern Ontario. Their fishing success was mixed. They'd had some hot action and very nice fish followed by some slack time. Typical for the lake that we were fishing. But their stories about a few 40+ inch Pike, near 24 inch Brookies and just under 40 inch Laker that they had already caught, had me encouraged. I had arrived too late to fish on Friday evening, so I had to settle for a few cocktails and some great conversation with the legendary Moosebunk. Indeed it was a pleasure to finally meet the man.

Like the previous days, Saturday morning started off with high winds gusting from the southwest. This really limits the areas that you can fish on a big lake. So MB and I started out close to camp in a wind sheltered area. Brook Trout were our target, and it wasn't long before MB had one in the boat. It wasn't big by this lakes standards, but it had us encouraged. After we had covered the sheltered area close to camp, we decided to run up the lake a few miles to check out a few other spots of mine. It was a rough ride over, but it soon paid dividends as I caught my first fish of the weekend. It was another Brook Trout that wasn't quite photo worthy, but our encouragement level went up another notch. We circled back to make another pass of the area and just after we starting fishing again, my rod just about jumped out of the rod holder. I actually had a difficult time getting it out of the holder because there was so much pressure on it. When I finally got control of things, I knew that it was a good fish. MB manned the boat controls and stood ready with the net as I fought this one. Several minutes later the fish surfaced and we knew that it was a Brook Trout. After a few tiring runs, MB finally slid the net under the fish. It was definitely a nice one. The tape measure read 23 1/2 inches on this girthy female.

mooseandirish2.jpg

After a quick Brook Trout slimed hand shake, we resumed our troll in high spirits. We'd gone only a few minutes when MB noticed a plane circling near our camp site about 4 miles down the lake. Could it be Irishfield? We watched the plane circle for several minutes and then finally disappear below the tree line, which meant that he had landed. So we reeled in and headed back through the rough water to see if it was fact Wayne. As we got closer to the plane I could see a large green shamrock on the tail. Yup. That's got to be him. He was heading away from the place that we had set up camp, so we caught up to him at a landing, exchanged greetings and got him back to where our camp site was.

mooseandirish3.jpg

After taxiing over to our site, MB helped Wayne unload his gear.

mooseandirish4.jpg

After getting Wayne settled in, MB's partners decided to run into town for some supplies. MB would have to pick them up at the landing in a couple of hours, so I decided to run up the lake with Wayne. It wasn't long before he had his first Brookie in the boat. It was a very pretty 21 inch male.

mooseandirish5.jpg

Eventually Wayne and I arrived at the place where I had caught the big girl just a few hours earlier. We worked the island shoreline pretty good and had only one lost fish to show for our efforts. So I decided to make the very rough run to another place that had produced well for me in the past. When we arrived, it was only about 20 seconds before I had a hit. I set the hook and there was that nice feeling once again. "This is a good one Wayne", I informed him. It was a heavy fish that I had no control over with my 6 lb. test. The fish made a few good runs and after about 30 seconds my line went slack. The fish had broken me off. Now I don't mind losing a fish now and then, but when I don't get a look at it, I'm not happy. It could have been a Laker. Or a Pike. Or just maybe it was a huge Brookie? We'll never know. So, as I proceed to retie, Wayne mumbles "Fish on". He was casting as I retied. Sure enough I look up to see his rod doubled over. He worked the decent Brook Trout to boat side when the barbless hook let go. At least we got to see this one and confirm that it was a nice Brook Trout. After I finished retieing, we were off once again. About 20 minutes went by before I had another hit. Once again it felt like a good one. In fact it felt very similar to the one that I had just lost.

mooseandirish6.jpg

Man, this fish was running like a freight train. I finally got him to the surface and saw that it was a nice Brookie. The deep orange colors told me that it was a big male. And that's the ultimate if you're a Brook Trout fisherman. Wayne did a perfect net job and the fish was on board. "That's the biggest Brook Trout I've ever seen", Wayne claimed. It measured two feet exactly.

mooseandirish7.jpg

We worked the shore line a little further before calling it quits. We had a rough 7 or 8 mile run ahead of us to get back to camp. The others were there when we arrived. MB's buddies decided not to fish after they returned from town, so MB had sat on shore all afternoon. I wasn't happy to hear that. Anyways, we ate, swilled and had a good time around camp that evening. I took out the camera for a few shots from our site.

A sun shower produced this nice rainbow right in front of our site.

mooseandirish9.jpg

And of course Moosebunk had to get a few photos of it as well.

mooseandirish10.jpg

Just a couple more shots from our camp site.

mooseandirish20.jpg

mooseandirish21.jpg

That brings us to this morning. High winds right out of the north slapped me in the face as I crawled out of my tent. Not good. I had promised MB that he, Wayne and I would run up the lake to where Wayne and I were last night. I'd assess the situation when I was in the boat. We started fishing near the camp and MB soon had a scrappy 12 inch fish in the boat. Once again, an encouraging start. Only minutes later he had another one on. It was a better fish. I looked on as Wayne grabbed the net.

mooseandirish11.jpg

MB had a decent 21 inch fish in the boat. I was thrilled for him.

mooseandirish12.jpg

Now we had a decision to make. Should we attempt running up the lake into the 3 to 4 foot rollers that we were looking at? Damn right we should. So off we went for the 7 mile ride. It was a little treacherous at times, depending on if there was an island or a point that blocked the high winds briefly, but we made it to our destination unscathed. Quickly and optimistically our lines were in the water. It was difficult to control the boat as we worked the shore line down wind. Our optimism faded as we passed the areas where Wayne and I had success just last night. Finally, Wayne had a hit. It looked like a nice fish by the way it was fighting. When he finally got it near the boat, it turned out to be a Pike. Not what we were looking for. Wayne turned into a Pike catching machine after that. He landed four in a row, all around this size.

mooseandirish13.jpg

Things slowed for a while after that, until MB finally had a fish on. Another nice fight, which turned out to be another Pike. That's a big disappointment when you think you might have a 5 lb. Brook Trout on the line. It looked like the Brook Trout that were here last night had vacated the area and the Piked took over. Discouragement set in.

mooseandirish18.jpg

With only an hour or so left before I had to head back to camp to pack up, we decided to just carry on. We didn't have enough time left to search out different areas. Finally I had a hit. Please, not a Pike, I was thinking to myself. It made a few good runs like a Pike. When it finally surfaced about 30 feet from the boat, all I could see was the color orange. It was another nice Brookie. And another gorgeous male to boot! We got it in the boat and did a quick, but well orchestrated photo shoot before releasing it.

mooseandirish14.jpg

mooseandirish15.jpg

We carried on down the shore to an area that I had not fished before. It would soon be time to head back to camp. Only minutes before I was about to ask the guys to reel in for the ride back, I got another hit. Again it felt decent. When this guy surfaced all I saw was a big square tail. Brook Trout. It turned out to be yet another decent male. 22 inches.

mooseandirish22.jpg

Soon after that fish, we had to get back to camp. Wayne is still there for one more night. Moosebunk is there until Wednesday. I hope that they can catch a few more nice Brook Trout before they leave.

I really can't describe what a fantastic weekend this was for me. I would have been thrilled even if I had not caught a fish, but just spent time with these two fine people. Trips like this are indeed the magic of OFC.

mooseandirish19.jpg

Fantastic report and pics Dan, as I expected.

Wish I had of been there to enjoy it all with you.

Thanks for sharing your weekend.

Oh, BTW, you took a beating on Fantasy Racing while you were out galavanting :whistling::lol:

Joey

Oh man! What a year to miss out on Nipigon. I have fished with Irish and can attest to what a great experience that is. Fishing with Moosebunk would also be an honour I am sure. Looks like you guys hit the water pretty close to prime time. If only I could get there next week, bummer.

Great report DanC, I see Buttcrackus Island made it in the background a few times.... ha ha ha

Cheers, Ron...

Wow!!! I've been waiting for this report Dan....and it certainly did not disappoint! An amazing report and pictures. Those trout are magnificent fish....something I'd love to fish for one day. I'd love to fish with any of you three....I think the stories alone would be a lot of fun to hear. Yes...the magic of OFC...I've met lots of great people because of this board.

Arguably the most beautiful fish in Canadian waters. You guys did super. There must have been some pretty good campfire stories going back and forth. I've been waiting for this one Dan and you sure didn't disappoint. Thanks for letting us tag along on your adventure.

Excellent read and stunning pictures Dan. Brook trout truly are a beautiful fish. Congrats on the big males! Thanks for taking the time to share that with all of us, another demonstration of the C in OFC.