French River Report

steve_paul

Family vacation time again at the French River. Headed up June 26, left St. Thomas at 2 am, at the grocery store in Noelville at 8 and on the island by 10:30. Just went up with my wife Cindy and son Ryan this time as my daughter Jess is at a camp on Georgian Bay for 2 weeks. As always, we had an incredible time. Weather for the most part was good, couple days of rain, couple days of very high winds, water temps stayed between 66 and 69 on the surface the entire time we were there. Headed home July 4 and of course can't wait to get back.

Loaded and ready to leave

med_gallery_67_323_14501.jpg

We went in hopes of landing our first muskie, while the effort was there, the success wasn't. Tried everything we knew in our limited knowledge and came away empty handed. Although disappointed, makes up look more forward to heading back up again to try again. Did however catch this lovely pine tree once and Ryan made his annual pilgramage onto an island to dislodge one my lures from a tree.

While our muskie fishing was less than successful, we did however have a great time fishing for everything else. That is the beauty of the River, so many choices of what to fish for.

Decided to do some bass fishing on the opener. Since we are used to the circus that is Long Point Bay on the opener, having the entire River to ourselves on Bass opener was a treat. Landed a few nice ones - Ryan's first topwater bass

med_gallery_67_323_62368.jpg

One of mine

med_gallery_67_323_30132.jpg

Had our most successful trip yet for pickerel, but not much for the freezer - everything we were catching was in the slot so back they went. Nice fish though all the same.

Ryan with a shore lunch eater

med_gallery_67_323_37365.jpg

Couple of nice slot sizers

med_gallery_67_323_57920.jpg

med_gallery_67_323_61844.jpg

Trolling one night and landed this beauty - my Personal Best pickerel - 27 1/2", not sure of the weight as she went right back in to go make more little pickerbabies - any estimates on the weight as I have no idea

med_gallery_67_323_35001.jpg

This was also our new dog's first trip to the River. I think he thought he had found Shih Tzu paradise up there. The only time he was still was at night when he slept - the rest of the time he would tear around the island, go swimming and did some boating and fishing

Harley's first view of the river

med_gallery_67_323_17524.jpg

Harley warming up with my aunt after a swim

med_gallery_67_323_6895.jpg

Harley fishing

med_gallery_67_323_11012.jpg

No report would be complete without the obigatory WGSF picture. Ryan landed this monster trolling one night - the little bugger actually took lure that was the same size as him - 2 1/2" - thought of keeping and mounting but decided to let it live another day

med_gallery_67_323_87755.jpg

Just some random pics

med_gallery_67_323_8213.jpg

med_gallery_67_323_79355.jpg

med_gallery_67_323_57691.jpg

Not sure when we are headed back up there, but can't wait.

Thanks for reading and any estimates on the weight of the pickerel would be appreciated.

Great report and pics. That is a nice walleye for sure. I've seen a 27"er weigh 7.3lbs out of BOQ, but it was fatter than yours. I caught a 27"er out of Puslinch lake that weighed 5.8lbs but it was a bit slimmer. So I'm guessing 6.5lbs.

So did Ryan get the lure out of the tree??? Great report and nice pics...Harley looks like a real pro fishing...haha

LOL, yes he rescued my lure again this year. He was smart enough this year to tie the boat off as last year while rescuing me, the boat drifted away from shore and I had a horrible time coming back into get him. Left him stranded there for about 1/2 hour while I diddled around with trolling motor and avoiding rocks.

Thanks for the estimates, was going to say 6 - 8 lbs so I guess I was close.

Guest Johnny Bass

The atmosphere and scenery alone is worth the trip to the French. The fishing is just a bonus!

Nice eye! I'd say a little over 7lbs. Thanks for sharing.

gorgeous up there...you guys did really well...the french is usually tough for me....great report

It can be very tough, we put 76km on the boat this week trolling different areas, running and gunning all over and I would say 90% of the fish we caught, we were within sight of our own island. May forgot towing the boat up next time and just wander the island fishing from shore.

But boats are so dam fun, probably won't do that either.

Edited by steve_paul

Great report SP. Would be great to have a little island all to yourself in such a great area. I'll be hitting the French in just two short months for a couple weeks. My wife wants to try fo walleye, so I'll have to be doing a bit of homework on how to locate them. Thanks for sharing and just making me all the more anxious.

awesome pics...my first guess on the walleye was 8lbs based on the length, 6-7lbs based on the pic. But 7 is a nice round number.... :D

for the snag -- that's why I use power pro --- wrap it arond the handle of the net so your rod's not absorbing all the shock, and give'er! If the line breaks, then you send the young lad up the tree :)

Great report -- gotta love the French!

Excellent report and pics Steve nice haul of fish.

Ah the SSV lots of room for all your gear.

I see you got the flat floor inserts and set up the rod holders just like I had them on my SSV.

How do you like the new boat BTW.

Ya I would say that fish is closer to 8lbs.

IMG_0162_1.jpg

IMG_0151_1.jpg

This one was 8lbs even they look similar.

MTP :thumbsup_anim::clapping::thumbsup_anim:

Great report SP. Would be great to have a little island all to yourself in such a great area. I'll be hitting the French in just two short months for a couple weeks. My wife wants to try fo walleye, so I'll have to be doing a bit of homework on how to locate them. Thanks for sharing and just making me all the more anxious.

Rich, when is your trip up to the French? Cindy and I are planning another trip up sometime in Sept - if you would like maybe we can hook up and try and get on some walleye for your wife. Our island is about 1/2 hour drive in from Wolseley Bay. Let me know.

for the snag -- that's why I use power pro --- wrap it arond the handle of the net so your rod's not absorbing all the shock, and give'er! If the line breaks, then you send the young lad up the tree :)

I yanked with all I could to get the lure out of the tree but no luck, had to send him in. It is a family ritual now that he has to rescue one of my lures. Not sure if I casted it in there on purpose or not :rolleyes:

Ah the SSV lots of room for all your gear.

I see you got the flat floor inserts and set up the rod holders just like I had them on my SSV.

How do you like the new boat BTW.

Love the new boat - we had tons of room during the week and it worked great for both casting and trolling. Was very good on gas - about $60 for the week so no complaints.

What a WGSF. They're so feisty, so bloodthirsty, they'll annihilate prey that is bigger than themselves. What a fish.

lol

Great report! Too bad about your musky attempt.. but, it'll come!