whats yours

Hawg Hunter

hello all just wondering what your oddest fish caught was while ice fishing

mine was a sturgeon caught on the BOQ,fish was around 6-7lbs and was released unharmed,this is the third one my bud and i have iced while ice fishing the bay over the years.

Whats Yours?????

Hawg Hunter

....I'd have to say the oddest fish I caught through the ice was in Owen Sound. It was hooked on a small silver spoon in 90 odd feet of water. It had some weight but not much spunk so I assumed it was a ling, not the intended target. As it approached the hole I could see sure enough it was a ling. Now that may not seem odd but you see this ling was dead and had both fillets removed! And yes it was hooked in the mouth....lol

I caught an ice -fishing scoop,that was at least several years old as it was covered with zebra muscles,and there was a lure stuck to it,i think it was a mr.champ,so i guess someone else got snagged on it and wasnt able to free the lure,and it broke off !!!!i was using 12lb trilene XT...so it pulled the 5lbs of muscles up no prob...so thats my weird catch....cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

a fish chain, (no fish attached) and an eyeball, jiggin for lakers in about 70 FOW, felt a tap, set the hook, but missed, few minutes later reeled in and had a nice eye ball on one of the trebles,

in the summer was a small pike with a set of spreaders in it's mouth, also caught fishing rod, net, lures gallore, clams, a sock and 2 anchors

well I didn't catch it but yesterday I was ice fishing (at fishmasters marina) and my boyfriend and I are sitting there watching the hole and all of a sudden a big Bowfin pops it's head up out of the hole. it opens its mouth a couple of times, seems to look around, then turns around and swims away. haha we were complete deer in headlights, just kinda stared at it confused of what was happening. it even missed the two hooks that were hanging down into the hole! it was crazy :) the hole couldn't have been more then 6" across, and we were fishing for Crappies.

well I didn't catch it but yesterday I was ice fishing (at fishmasters marina) and my boyfriend and I are sitting there watching the hole and all of a sudden a big Bowfin pops it's head up out of the hole. it opens its mouth a couple of times, seems to look around, then turns around and swims away. haha we were complete deer in headlights, just kinda stared at it confused of what was happening. it even missed the two hooks that were hanging down into the hole! it was crazy :) the hole couldn't have been more then 6" across, and we were fishing for Crappies.

After you left yesterday Lyra that bowfin kept peeking it's head out of those holes... it was a cool thing to watch. Glad you had a good day out here.

Fishmaster

First time at BOQ ice fishing with my buddy. Hadnt had a nibble all day. Around two oclock I go out to water the horse. When im done and coming back to the hut I notice that its pretty high up off the ice. I slowly crawl under the ice reach out and quickly grab my buddies line. He's all excited and screaming about a what a big fish he has on and then I pop my head into his hole and go boo. After he calms down some hes so increibly dissappointed that it wasnt a fish. Nother time at Virginia Beach I took a bunch of novice Ice Fisherman from back home to try there luck perchin and pikein. We were all young lads and had been out hitting the wobbly pops quite hard the night before. For those who have fished a hut there before you can see the pike swim right into your whole including some pretty big fish. One guy Jim had passed out so I filled a four litre bottle of orange juice that we had drank with water. Tied it to his line and let it sink down into about 10 feet of water. Loosened his drag off all the way. Waited a few seconds and then everyone started yelling at him that he had a huge pike on. He wakes up and sets the hook and his rod buckles over and his drag is singing. Takes him about 30 seconds to figure out he had been duped but the other 4 of us had a great time of it and still chuckle over it 20 yrs later.

We were fishing on the BoQ one time and after putting the aqua-view down I saw a ice rod and reel laying on the bottom.I played around and finaly hooked it.I get it to the top and notice the line is all out so I start reeling it in and there is a 8 pound pike hooked to it.

my buddies and i go to lake nippising every year and we tied a can of sardines on my buddys ine and put in the hole while he was outside then when he came in we said u had a bite but we missed the set so check your minnow and he did oh funny u should have saw his face priceless