What are your best lures?

myst

I dont have one favourite lure for all fish but definitely have a favourite for each species

Smallmouth Bass-- Watermelon Pepper Yamamoto grub-split shot rigged

Largemouth Bass-- Purple and Black Jig with Purple salt crawpork

Pike--Safety pin style Spinnerbait depending on colour of water will determine the colour I use

Walleye-- Worm Harness with live bait

Brook Trout-- Brook Trout Parr coloured EGB spoon size #2

Lake Trout--Blue/silver Little cleo tipped with a salted minnow tail

Musky--- I have the most fun fishing Pete Mania's DOC but I have the most confidence fishing a Sneaky Pete or any other bulger double bladed bucktail.

Resident Brown Trout- if not flyfishing I would have to say a Panther Martin

Nothing else I really fish for anymore but it is Salmon/Stellhead season so if I wasnt drift fishing roe or flyfishing I would have to say hot shoting skunk Quickfish/Flatfish always seemed to produce fish.

I'm no pro, but my favorite lure is a Storm chug bug. Caught bass,panfish and even walleye on that one. Conditions have to be calm for me to fish a chug bug. In the river with current I'll throw a mepps #3 chartreuse/black, a blue fox #4 perch patterned or a spinner bait, usually white/chartreuse. In the pads I'll throw a weedless #2 hook with a worm weight on top and a purple ribbon tail worm (approx. 5"). In the Long Point back bays I'll throw a Cordell Ripplin Redfin blue/chrome or any perch patterned lipless crankbait. I have quite a few Rapalas, but I haven't got them to work as well for me yet. I've had mild success with a HJ-5 (silver), but I'm still figuring them out. I think it's more operator error than anything.

For some odd reason whenever I have a crankbait that is working well it always seems to be a Rapala.Husky Jerks,shad raps,broken back shad raps,x-raps and the flaoting minnow.All great baits,all imitated by many manufactorers.I think they may be the best on days when cranks are the ticket.

Joe

Do you guys think Rapala is the best?

The "best bait" is going to vary wildly from season to season, and even day-to-day. For example, I caught bass on spinnerbaits all week, only to have to switch to a crankbait on Friday to catch anything. I really like Rapala minnows in spring for bass, although I fish a lot of tubes, sluggos, and a few other options then as well.

I'm not sure what your real question is.

If you are asking if Rapala is the best brand of crankbaits, in my opinion, they're as good as any, and better than most.

If you're asking if a Rapala crankbait would be my first choice in all fishing situations, the answer is no. But if I'm using a crankbait I will probably start with some sort of a Rapala.

Here's some other thoughts...

You will often hear that something is just as good as the name brand product...When you hear those words, you might be wise to buy the original...grin.

Over the years I have bought some lures that never caught fish...I have never had a Rapala that didn't catch fish...but I have never had one that always caught fish either...that's fishing...grin.

Some lures, I've had were hard to keep in tune, they didn't run straight, or were easily knocked out of tune. I've never had that problem with a Rapala.

Model for model, Rapala's seem to be a little more expensive than other brands, but each Rapala lure is tank tested to be sure that it swims properly before it's packaged...that has to be worth something.

Most Rapalas are made of wood...I believe that wooden baits swim better than plastic ones do, but that's only my opinion, I'm sure there are many excellent plastic crankbaits too.

In the past I have returned broken Rapalas to Normark in Oshawa and received replacements free. I don't know if other manufacturers do that or not...

garry2r's

Years ago Rapalas (most models) were my #1 bait along with live bait...

Tubes, grubs, and senko type baits mostly now and very recently Fin-S minnows...(I hope that holds true for tomorrow at Simcoe)... :Gonefishing:

Edited by Beans