Special Outing

Whopper

We'll after some prodding and some planning I was finally able with the help of Don (Deg) to finally hook up with Paul (OhioFisherman) for a day of fishing on Lake Erie.

The plan was for Don to pick up Paul and bring him to my buddy's place on Catawba Island where I had arraigned a day on the big boat for Paul. Funny I gave Don directions and my cell number when he got close and I was going to meet him out on the highway because my bud's place can a little tricky to find, the meet up time was 7:00am and at about 6:45am I getting a little antsy and decide I going to the truck to get Don's cell number, well as soon as I head to the truck up pulls a van, this can't then uh?, it was and Paul was driving. I can not believe they found the place on their own but I guess after years of driving a truck and the fact that Paul used to play in this area it was no big deal to him.

We we had a little problem and that was the fact that with the wrong wind this time of year coupled with low water level we weren't going to be able to get the boat out of the channel, so after some idle chat we decided to go have some breakfast. So off we went and wouldn't you know it when we get back the water level has risen just enough for a go to leave the channel. I guess Paul was so excited to fish he had to try his luck right off the end of the dock.

LakeErieOhioFisherman002.jpg

Choice of fish for the day was smallmouth bass. Now my buddy and I haven't really fished for the smallies in the past so armed with spinning rods and tube baits we go out and hit the southwest corner of Kellys Island. We weren't there 15 minutes when my buddy Joe hooks one and I say to myself this is going to be a good day, #1 we have Paul in the boat and #2 sometimes my buddy Joe has a hard time with the catching part of fishing lol, so I figure if he's caught one the rest will follow.... :rolleyes: Well the catching part of the day didn't come off like I had planned but the company sure was great. The only smallmouth that were landed were one each by Joe and Don and true to form I still reign as the poophead king with four sheepsheads with Paul trying to give me a run for that title which I'd be more than had to hand over to him :D .

I didn't do a very good job with the camera Saturday and Don is off to help Kevin at Lakair this week so maybe when he get back he'll share his pics with us.

Don with his little smallie

LakeErieOhioFisherman003.jpg

Paul with a big grin on his face after catching a sheepshead

LakeErieOhioFisherman004.jpg

Don had to take a rest after all the action from the day

LakeErieOhioFisherman005.jpg

Don and paul getting jiggy with it

LakeErieOhioFisherman007.jpg

Seen a couple of these fellas in one area, Don thought one was trying to get in the boat.

LakeErieOhioFisherman006.jpg

This pic doesn't do what we saw justice while coming back in the harbor there is a sand bar that these people were walking there dog and it almost appeared they were walking on water.

LakeErieOhioFisherman008.jpg

left to right Paul, Joe & Don

LakeErieOhioFisherman009.jpg

I have visited, chatted, dined and had coffee with Don and Ruth numerious times but never spent the day with him in a boat so it was nice to do that but what made this a special outing was the fact that Paul was able to join us and I sincerely hope that we can do this again. I think he had a good time because everytime I snuck a look at him he was smiling. Paul when your up to it just let me know we'll see what we can do.

Oh and I'll warn everbody Paul has to have the heaviest tackle box of anyone I know for no bigger than it is.

Thanks Don for the help and Thanks Paul for the day! I had a blast.

Phil

Well heck, that has to be just about the best post I have ever read!!! :thumbsup_anim::clapping: . I can't tell you how many times I have tried to get Paul out fishing, it's so great to hear you managed to do it Phil and Don, even if I am just a little jealous ;):whistling: . Alls I can say now is Paul i can no longer take no for an answer :P

Thanks for sharing this Phil

Maureen

Johnny, no pike, water snake, not poisonous but the bite can become infected. Great company! I have met Don before, but a first for Phil and Captain Joe. LOL guys that aren`t sick whining about my bag. Weather conditions were questionable and sometimes fishing tubes in the rocks means frequent snags, I brought enough lead for everyone and some large sizes.

Didn`t have many loses, think I lost one jighead and tube, probably to a zebra mussel infested rock. Sure didn`t take much to cut the line. Just didn`t get on the fish well, walleye or perch may have been a better plan, Captain Joe and Phil looked like they had some serious Erie walleye gear below deck.

LOL take my own fish off? While Don has a camera in his hand? Me holding a sheephead? LOL seen too many traps before to fall for that one!

Captain Joe has a good boat to fish out of for Erie, LOL and he catches the right kind of fish, first smallie was around 3 pounds so I thought it was going to be a good day slamming them. Drop shots were a waste of time, no clue why, don`t think even the gobies liked them.

Water? Means a rod in hand, especially around docks, ya spent a lot of time in the harbor area there, spring a good smallie and largemouth spot, summer and fall mostly largemouth. Just wasn`t enough water around the dock early, it seemed way down compared to the old days.

Maureen, boats now mean a bed and bathroom on board, I lasted as long as I could but needed a nap(dang geezer!) Just weird sitting on my butt fishing, but better than falling!

Again, a great group to fish with! Wish I was comfortable going farther, but I was pushing my limits there. LOL it only took 3 of them to get me in the boat, and they complain about my bag? My BFA weighs as much as 4 or 5 bags! Well maybe 2.

Thanks Guys! Even Sheephead are better than snagging the grass at home!

Maureen, boats now mean a bed and bathroom on board, I lasted as long as I could but needed a nap(dang geezer!) Just weird sitting on my butt fishing, but better than falling!

That's ok Paul, now that I know it can be done, ya just never know what I might come up with ;)

Maureen