West Arm Weekend at Lakair

Whopper

Well finally found the time to put our report, first of all I would like to thank everone in attendance. My son and I had a great time and hopefully we can do this again.

Pulled in to Lakair Thursday morning the 16th about 6:45am and was greeted a few minutes later by Lew. Lew had a nice campfire waiting for us. Set up camp and off for a couple hours fishing. I was really anxious to have my son PJ experience the West Arm of Lake Nipissing and what it had to offer. The first morning fishing session was kind of slow and I wasn't on my game missed the first three bites and had a pike bite off, my son had two fish on (bass) in the first fifteen minutes and lost both, come to find out he had left the hook protector on his spinnerbait :oops::rolleyes: After a couple hours we went back to the campground to greet the Mistyriver clan and to get a nap in.

Next trip out on the water my son and I took Corey with us to hunt some fish, things started a little slow but then I managed to put about a 30" pike in the boat then shortly there after Corey says I've got one. Turns out to be a first for my boat ever, Corey cry's out "It's a musky" too cool. I help him land the fish and I get the honors of the release. I can not believe at this point I do not have my camera in the boat, the dam thing has been attached to my hip for the last two years :rolleyes: None the less it was a nice small ski that was well marked and was off to fisht another day. Friday weather was real interesting, got ran off the lake three different occasions with lightning, thunder and rain.

Lakair2007007.jpg

Lakair2007004.jpg

Lakair2007006.jpg

Friday afternoon also brings Cory, Heather and Jess to the festivities, great to meet them and hope it's not the last.

Next up it was Corey's younger Ben to share the boat with us.

Lakair2007001.jpg

Ben is like the engergizer bunny and handles himself well with a rod and reel. Ben has a small problem though his rod tip keeps coming off so it's rod repair 101 and I show the boys how to repair a rod right on the spot, ten minutes later and the rod is as good as new. Had a good time with Ben in the boat even though we had a little mishap that I'm still try to recover from B)

Saturday bring a couple more people to the dance in form of Raf and JP. It was great seeing them again and they were awesome with the young men of the group.

Lakair2007023.jpg

Lakair2007021.jpg

Lakair2007022.jpg

Who's says this guy never smiles

Lakair2007024.jpg

JP putting on a casting clinic at the dock for Corey and PJ

Lakair2007005.jpg

Saturday also brings Don & Ruth

Lakair2007020.jpg

Fast forward to Sunday, I get the pleasure of having Jim fish with me on Sunday morning and after some great advise and finally listening to Cory (as you can tell Cory I can be a little stuborn at times :rolleyes: ) Jim catches his first ever sheepshead.

Lakair2007010.jpg

I was a little reluctant to net the fish for him because I told Jim it's kind of like the banana thing, at Erie we don't like the sh..head slime while fishing for walleyes and at this point I didn't need any bad luck if we were going to boat some fish. Well the exact opposite happened Sunday ended up being out best day on the water. While fishing with Jim I caught numerious walleye and a few perch that were returned to the lake. Back in to get my son for the catching because at this point he had not landed a fish and that was my whole goal of the trip. Sunday was an awesome day spent in the boat with my son and kind of made the trip for us.

Lakair2007013.jpg

Lakair2007011.jpg

One of a few slot walleye I caught that returned to the water

Lakair2007015.jpg

My son and I had twice had doubled up on the walleye er "pickeral" then a little double on some small perch on the same rig.

Lakair2007017.jpg

PJ and Corey with few small walleye and some perch for a snack.

Lakair2007018.jpg

A few senic pics

Lakair2007025.jpg

Lakair2007027.jpg

Lakair2007026.jpg

This trip was more than a quest to catch fish, it was a chance to spend some quality time with my son, to enjoy the great outdoors, to spend some time with long distance friends and to meet some fine new people. We ate well, the beer was cold and the campfires were warm.

Again thanks to all that share this experience with PJ and I we had a blast

Cheers

Whopper

PS A special THANKS to Kevin & Leslie! They run a very nice lodge/camp, one of the nicest I've had the pleasure of staying at!

Edited by Whopper

The pictures turned out great Phil.

Always good spending time with you, and it was nice to meet PJ and hear he enjoyed his 1st ever camping trip in Canada.

I dunno about you, but I'm ready to head north again right about now :thumbsup_anim:

If you get back up this way before the snow fly's, you know where I'm at.

This trip was more than a quest to catch fish, it was a chance to spend some quality time with my son, to enjoy the great outdoors, to see spend some time with long distance friends and to meet some fine new people. We ate well, the beer was cold and the campfires were warm.

Again thanks to all that share this experience with PJ and I we had a blast

Cheers

Whopper

Can't ask for anything better! Great report Phil and it's always good to spend quality time with your kids....

dk

Guest mistyriver1

Great report Phil.

It was truly a pleasure to get out with you. The family and I sure enjoyed seeing you again and meeting PJ. Hope school goes well for him !!