Vacation Days

tonyb

USA vs. the World - Interesting stats...

Average Annual Vacation Days

Italy 42

France 37

Germany 35

Brazil 34

Britain 28

Canada 26

Japan 25

USA 13

Is it any wonder that US Bureau of Labor Statistics tracks just about everything but worker satisfaction?

Americans work 137 more hours per year than Japanese workers, 260 more hours per year than British workers, and 499 more hours per year than French workers.

The Japanese document approximately 10,000 cases per year of "death by overwork," or karoosh. Considering the above stats, what must the undocumented US numbers be??

The US is the only nation in the industrialized world with no minimum paid-leave laws. European law provides each worker with 4-5 weeks per year of paid-leave.

Nonetheless, Europe has had a higher productivity rate than the U.S. for 14 out of the 19 years between 1981 and 2000.

More just isn’t better.

More man hours down here in the states than Europe, yet Europe is more productive.........Ill explain that one. Were all aware of it down here and were ticked off so we spend all our time on the internet reading Fishing related internet discussion forums at work!!

Guest Johnny Bass

I have NO vacation days! It used to be LAW, that they give you benefits and vacation time after 3 months. Not anymore. They just hire you part time and give you nothing. Thanks to free trade for all the low paying jobs and no benefits. :angry:

Well I am still lower than the average... started at 3 weeks vac, had to work 8 years before I earned 1 more week, and I believe I have to work yet another 8 to earn either part of a week or another full week. I do get the same amount of sick days too but I seldom use them - you just never know. (I work for the government) When I was in the private sector...I started at 4 weeks vac. But then again after working 10 years for the same non-profit agency I was still at 4 weeks and lost numerous sick days as I had banked the maximum. I do feel for my American friends. I am fortunate enough where I am that I am able to work an additional 50 minutes a day (compress hours) and that gives me 2 extra days off every 4 weeks. yyyyaaaayyyyy :)

I have 4 weeks paid vacation and a very good salary and top notch benefits and I worked my way up to get them. We were all born with two feet and a heartbeat and an education system that allows people to prosper. I would agree however that this part time/temp agency thing is getting out of hand some companies are obviously taking advantage of the situation.

I haven't had a paid vacation in over 30 years, so I'm not helping the Canadian average of 26 days. So that means that some of you are getting more than 26 days, because of me. You can thank me on this thread.

Well I am surprised that not one politician has thought of offering more vacation time during an election campaign.

Here in Quebec after 5 years service with an employer they must give you 3 weeks vacation.

In Ontario this is not mandatory if a companie wants you can remain having 2 weeks vacation for the remainder of your employment at a company.

I received my third week vacation after 4 years service and I will not see the 4th week until 11 years service :wallbash:

Yup North America has got it wrong we are too busy chasing the all mighty dollar.

I think if Canadians had more vacation we would see less people on burnout ,depression or workmans compensation.More quality time with our families maybe a little less stress.

Good thread Tony! Maybe some politician will read this and just maybe we will end up with more vacation time.

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :canadian:<_< Well we can all dream

Same as you Dan. Every holiday I've taken (very few) in the last 25 years have been out of my pocket. But hey, I worked hard for that autonomy. I can generally manage to escape for 21 days a year. And, in the last two years I've taken the week between Christmas and New Year. Starting to get used to it.

Guest Johnny Bass

Companies that start you off at 4 weeks vacation? Not too many regular jobs like that around. I've had many jobs and the most I have gotten was 2. The norm nowadays is 1 to start.

Oh yes. Education.... All I keep hearing about is all the University graduates that cant find a job in their field(thanks to outsourcing). The only jobs that guarantee good pay are in trades...Electrician, Plumber,carpenter,drywaller, bricklayer,ect...

Many high paying jobs are shift work now and that really sucks.

i just returned from vacationing in Italy for a month... and man, all those vacation days really do pay off. everyone's so much more relaxed and enjoy life so much more. everything's relatively calm and there really isn't a need for any rush-rush routines. my family over there is so calm and loving life. i envy that. i returned saturday and i'm already stressed lol

I don't know about companies giving more time off. Every shop or restaurant you go by you see help wanted signs in the windows and those aren't high paying jobs to begin with. I don't think many of the people in the service industries could either afford to take the time nor could the employers afford to give it. I know so many small business owners who are thinking about packing it in and closing up because they just can't get staff now. I know a lot of people will say that is because they don't pay enough, but if you are just hanging on how do you pay more. First of all you have to have staff to give them any time off.

Lets face it with globalization causing the middle class to all but evaporate here in North America chances are it won't get any better anytime soon.

Edited by Canuck2fan

We start our new hires at 3 weeks now. I got them to put that in two years ago as a competitive advantage when hiring. I am pushing for four weeks after 5 years for all employees.

My personal belief is that burnout is real, I have felt it (and I am just little). I am fortunate to have 4 weeks + some personal days. I haven't taken a sick day in almost four years (not to the detriment of my co-workers) and am generally happy with my life. Opinion again, I work VERY HARD for my employer, in turn, they allow me the privilege of taking a few weeks with my family that have to work hard to support me as well. My employer is quite fair with this as long as everything is taken within reason.

The best I have heard of in a while, is a company from the US that I do business with. They only give 3 weeks vacation to everyone, but every 4 years, you must take three consecutive weeks off with pay. You are also allowed to tack on up to 2 weeks from your vacation that year! Can you imagine the whole month of July off??? WOW!

I think this is a great idea to encourage people to stay with the company. I also like the idea of an extended vacation every now and again. BTW, I've never had more than 2 weeks off at a time... and that was only once.

I haven't had a paid vacation in over 30 years, so I'm not helping the Canadian average of 26 days. So that means that some of you are getting more than 26 days, because of me. You can thank me on this thread.

Thanks Dan.

I am fortunate enough to work at a place that started me at 3 wks. Actually, one year I got almost 6 wks paid off, but I wasn't complaining, :whistling: ....now I got 4, been there 8 years.

Let me tell you, Italy is the place to be, naps are normal and the day doesn't start till 10 or 11 pm, now thats life.

Indeed, it seems we are all chasing the mighty dollar. Work-life balance is a whole new topic, I read a book recently and it had a link to their website, that's where I got those stats. I don't have children and it is hard enough juggling work/wife/fishing, I don't know how people manage to stay sane with kids added to the mix.

Based on two weeks holidays, you spend more time in the bathroom over the year, than on vacation. How sick is that? lol

Tony

It seems most companies down here don`t want you to stay, longer term employees make more, more vacation time, they think it`s cheaper to get new help. One of the trucking companies I worked for hired a leasing division, run by a family member of the owner to do our work. The drivers had to buy their own truck(tractor), were called sub-contractors not employees, no benefits except what they personally paid. They have to pay their own social security taxes and supply their own tractor insurance. pay their own workers comp.

If they get tied up at a companies dock, in traffic, they sit for free, such a deal, and they make about 5 bucks less an hour. Safety inspections? your truck, you want to make money or tie your truck up for repairs?

It has taken me from 1985 til now,to get close to what I was making back then.

Johns right,it,s hard these days to find a company that pays benifits and a decent wage.

Back in 85 I worked for Burlington Carpets in Brampton. I was making $19.50 hr plus bonus.The bonus was making over your quota. I always had a good partner there.REAL WORKERS. Our quota was 85 bails of carpet fibre in an 8 hour shift,we would bust our butts and put out anywheres from 115-140. Depending on break downs. If the machine was down for a day,we got paid an average wage.This would work out at times at 22-26 dollars an hour.Good money back in those days for a guy with no real education,but these days,good luck.I had to do school,n and all that to get back to those wages these days.

Holidays I get 4 weeks plus 8 sick days,plus 5 occasionial days. Not bad for your average joe.

Added bonus here,if I know I want a day off,I can make it up before and not lose a holiday.

I consider myself very lucky when it comes to time off. I work shift work which sucks sometimes when you miss out on family functions and holiday times like Christmas but I certainly make up for it in other time off. I get 5 weeks vacation after being there 16 years but with banked time and the shift work it combines to a lot more. I just went back to work Monday after having 32 straight days off and I tell you it sure was nice and refreshing to have all that time off in a row. And I still have more time off in the fall for hunting. I feel for those who only get like two or three weeks of in a year. We all should have more time off work as I think it refreshes you.

Fourteen more years and I'll have Lew's shedule!!

Edited by caper