Vacation Days

tonyb

Guest Trophymuskie

I know when I used to have a payroll that vacation pay was 4% ( on top of 11% workman's comp, half of pention and half of unemployment ) which equals to 2 weeks. I remember working for a company that paid it to us in every check, naturally this was seasonal work but you can see the added 4% on every paycheck.

I'm sure it's still that.

Now working seasonal jobs from when I was 16 and then been self employed the last 20+ years I never had a real holiday until 3 years ago and I now take holidays every year. I took 2 weeks this year and will keep doing so. Before I would come home on Thursday night and tell the better half that were going to the trailer ( in-Laws ) for the week. But naturally half the time would be spent coming back into town to work.

Self employment has it's perks but naturally no benefits or paid vacations are the down side.

I have the vacation thing easy, actually I have the whole work thing easy.

Full time student/part time at work, ive been at the same job for almost three years and have never had an issue with booking any time off that I want. So far this summer ive booked probably two weeks worth of fishing time with no issue whatsoever.

Now when i get a fulltime job this will all cahnge...

If a company is not going to take care of the mental health (vacations) of their employees willingly why would you want to work for them? To have the goverment require them to do the right thing is to invite more goverment into your life.

Art

Guest Johnny Bass
Well, someone already pointed out that vacation pay still is mandatory in Ontario. I wouldn't know because I've been self employed for years and I don't have employees so correct me if I'm wrong. Also, we do have universal health care, so what's your beef?

From what I understand, vacation pay isn't paid by my taxes. Rather it is in fact part of your pay that is deducted from your paycheck. I do disagree with the government forcing anyone to forfeit part of their earnings to participate in a mandatory vacation program, but that's really really low on my list of grievances with our current government.

If I were forced to pay taxes so everyone had paid vacations you're damn right I'd argue against that. If you don't like the way you're compensated at your job then go out and get a new one. Stop passing the buck and man up. I did.

My beef is that you keep complaining that the government shouldn't get involved in this and that. Example.Should not make mandatory safety laws.

I personally have some beefs with the way our government runs things and coruption but I dont have the same beefs with our government as you have. Basically you want anarchy more or less. You want them to make YOU do whatever you want and life is just not like that. Thats why governments were formed in the first place.

You stated the government shouldn't get involved and be responsible for things like vacation pay and benefits. The problem is that they are not involved enough! Why do you think UNIONS came about? To make sure people get what they deserve(at least that was the Idea). If the government was doing what they were supposed to, their wouldn't be Unions.

You have the sentimentality of a Southerner(No offence). I find it hard to believe you are Canadian. Canadians are all about helping out the less fortunate. Yes with our taxes. My problem is we dont know where those taxes go for the most part. Much is being rerouted...

Aplumma...if the government gets involved in my life and gets me the benefits and vacation pay I deserve, they are welcome in my life.

Lew that was a great set up with the overtime, I usually worked 500 to 1000 hours overtime a year, most of it forced overtime. It was paid at time and one half, but given a choice of extra time off to compensate would have been nice, most weeks I was at 45 to 48 hours after 4 days, give me the 3 day weekends. Firemen here in the cities and towns that have full-time firemen seem to work 24 hours at the station, then off 48 hours.

My neighbor teaches Cad/Cam at the county vocational school, he gets the summers off, LOL and doesn`t fish. All kinds of ways for him to pick up extra cash, teaching nite classes, designing homes, making blueprints.

Johhny Bass to clear up my muddled statement actually my point was with all of the good companys out their that willingly want to make the employees happy and well rested. To work for a company that has to be forced to do the right thing is not a good company to work for. That type of company will do only the least amount needed to satisfy the regulation rather than the employee.

Art

Vacation pay is paid by the employer, not from taxes or withouldments from pay. If you are salary it is part of your salary package.

The current law says the employer must give the equivalent of two weeks paid time off after one year of employment. The employer must also give 10 days off (paid or unpaid at the discretion of the employer) for such things as sickness, sickness of a child or spouse etc. There is also a provision for the caretaker of a terminally ill parent or child and time off for the that.

We also have parental leave allowing one parent or both a cumulative total of one year off (receiving UI benefits) to care for a newborn of newly adopted child with their jobs secured upon return.

Guest Johnny Bass
Johhny Bass to clear up my muddled statement actually my point was with all of the good companys out their that willingly want to make the employees happy and well rested. To work for a company that has to be forced to do the right thing is not a good company to work for. That type of company will do only the least amount needed to satisfy the regulation rather than the employee.

Art

I understand though my point is that those companies are getting scarcer, every one wants to get rich over night....They dont care about the health of their employees. They care about the buck.

Many companies are only hiring part time...

So when no company wants to give their employees benefits or vacation pay, then what?

Least amount is better than no amount. Then its up to the discretion of your employer if he wants to give more. If they really care like you say, they shouldn't have a problem giving you more.

Good jobs are scarce up here unless you want to work shift work or have a field of expertise.

I guess the easy answer is to go back to school, learn a trade and have no social life for a few years.........