Simms rain gear = overpriced junk

msp

I have had it with Simms. Decided to grab a new rain suit because my old Simms gortex actually absorbes water now. The suit was good for the first couple of years but started leaking. I assumed it was because I wasn’t taking good care of it stuffing it in rod lockers etc……. 
decided to grab the lower end Simms Challenger suit as I typically like non gortex rain gear any. After three or four trips in the rain I noticed my left thigh was soaked. 
messaged customer service and they said I have to ship it to them for warranty testing 🤷‍♂️

So I’m supposed to box it up and send it in at my expense when I just paid $600. Ya right. Maybe one day I will ship it but highly doubt it. 
Let’s  hear your rain suit recommendations and why you like them 

6D768CA8-D5EC-47A2-AE3C-FD94E0577D6A.jpeg

I've had a Simms Pro Dry jacket and bibs for 6 years. Still going strong, like new...don't leak a drop, even running down the lake at 40mph in a rainstorm. Water rolls off of them in droplets. Well designed cuffs and collar/hood to keep any leaks out. Very breathable too, never sweat in them. Best rain gear I've ever owned.

Most of the time they're stored scrunched up in one of the in-floor compartments of my boat. All I do is, twice a year or so, wash them with NikWax Tech Wash, then tumble dry on low to maintain the DWR. The fabric is GoreTex 3-Layer Pro...as far as I know, there's  nothing better out there.

IMG_23281.jpg

• Like 1

Im a pretty firm believer that it’s goretex or nothing.

and you have to treat it well, dry it after use, clean it and apply dwr at minimum.

the challenger series are most certainly not worth their money. They aren’t goretex. Full stop.

i was running a simms goretex pro shell for the past 5 years and it was used by Dave Chong prior. It kept me perfectly dry. The only downfall on that suit was that the bib had a front zipper that wasn’t waterproof so driving my boat in huge waves taking on water, I’d end up getting water in my pants.

oh also, I won a striker rain suit through the fishing club this year, it seems super high quality, but I haven’t tried it in the rain yet. Will have to report back. I’ve been told it’s solid though by a friend with the same suit. 

the suit itself is super well thought out and has all of the features you want in a rain suit.

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Like 1

I’m done with goretex.  I wear the Helly Hansen rubber suit now.  The new ones are even a bit stretchy.  I stay mostly dry unless water runs in somewhere (sleeve) etc.  The way I look at it, if it’s wet enough for me to wear a rain suit, it’s generally cool enough to wear the rubber suit.  When it’s crap out I’m usually wearing base layers, my under armour cold gear stuff and the rubber suit just seals in the flavour. Your mileage may vary.

Cabelas Guidewear.   With any Goretex you need to do a bit of maintenance to reactivate the waterproofing.   I usually do this once a year, been going on 6 years with my stuff and dry as it was on day #1. 

Always found Simms overpriced but would never call it junk.

As mentioned, I too pretty much only will buy Goretex. after 8 years with a 100MPH basspro suit, I bought a 200MPH last season. It keeps me dry and have no complaints for the price. 

I cam very close to buying the guidewear instead and have heard nothin but good things about it as well. 

Ok, I give up, what's DWR?

I Have a Browning gortex suit for hunting, still keeps me dry, 20 years in, I wash it and dry it with high heat. I heard the drying activates the gortex but I'm all ears

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durable_water_repellent

It's what makes water "bead" on the exterior layer of fabric, rather than soak in to it. The GoreTex will still be waterproof with out it, but the exterior will "wet out".

You're correct...some heat will help bring the DWR  back to surface of the fabric. Ironing on low heat works great too. 

Periodically washing the GoreTex with NikWax will also help keep it breathable by "un-clogging" the porous membrane.

Edited by CrowMan

Don't own any yet but have worn Frogg Toggs CASCADES jacket and the All Sports suit. It's a different feel material but you get used to it. For the $ I was very impressed. Still using my BPS 100 MPH stuff and don't have any issues now going on close to 10 years old for the bibs

31 minutes ago, Iggy said:

So for the hunters out there, do you use this, does it give off an odor. Very important when hunting

Granger's makes wash & dwr that's hunting specific, but as far as I know it's the exact same formulation as NikWax. 

I use NikWax on my hunting stuff too...it's marketed as "fragrance free".  You're just re-applying what was on there to begin with..

Edited by CrowMan

1 hour ago, Fang said:

Don't own any yet but have worn Frogg Toggs CASCADES jacket and the All Sports suit. It's a different feel material but you get used to it. For the $ I was very impressed. Still using my BPS 100 MPH stuff and don't have any issues now going on close to 10 years old for the bibs

Frogg togg river jacket and waders. No complaints, and been 4 seasons

Like Bill, I wash and treat my coats and bibs once a year.

Many outdoor apparel companies are now moving away from "forever chemicals"

https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/environment/forever-chemicals-pfas/

From what I have read, is that this will simply mean you should wash your goretex after every 3rd heavy use. Realistically how many intensely rainy wet days does one go through in a year...Sure a big week long trip will require a wash after, but this sounds like a couple of extra washes a season. Not a big deal. My father (an engineer and chemist) expressed his concerns to me about these types of chemicals years ago, so much so that they were stopping using similar chemical compounds in some of the processes that he works on to avoid long term exposure for people working with them every day. Interesting that a lot of outdoor companies are now in agreement that they gotta go.

Hell makes you think about that poor guy in china thats applying that DWR to your coat every day 6 days a week...yeesh.

Edited by AKRISONER

I was on the hunt for a decent dual purpose rain/wading jacket and ended up coming across a Mustang Taku online marked down half price last week. Had most of the features I wanted so figured I trust my life to Mustang products on the water they shouldn't have a problem making rainwear. Will see how it goes when I get to test it out. Also while researching found last year's Simms G4Z on half price so figured I would be proactive and jump on that deal as well. Although being Simms most heavy duty wader and packed with features the new Simms G4Z Goretex feels about half the material of my 12+ year old Simms Headwaters Goretex, but hopefully it holds up as long

On 3/14/2024 at 8:27 PM, SirCranksalot said:

I read somewhere that goretex will pass water if you are sitting on a wet surface. I don't know if that's true or not but my old goretex don't keep me dry any more.

Speaking from experience, cleaned treated goretex will most certainly keep you dry when sitting on a wet surface.

my boat seats are soaked with overnight rain often  and my goretex bib most certainly keeps me dry.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2024 at 8:27 PM, SirCranksalot said:

I read somewhere that goretex will pass water if you are sitting on a wet surface. I don't know if that's true or not but my old goretex don't keep me dry any more.

Look up NikWax.  Your old gear needs to be washed and tossed in the dryer.  It will bead water once again :)