Optimax Vs. 4 Stroke

Hookset

Hi All,

Proud to be a new member of the best fishin' site on the web.

I've been a lurker for quite a while now due mostly to computer issues

but I am 100 % confident I will never have a computer issue again (sigh) :blink: .

My question is, I am looking to buy a new boat and my choices for a motor have been narrowed down to either an '06, or '07 - 115 Merc Optimax or to pay a little more for the 4 stroke.

I have heard nothing but good reviews on the Opti but I can find very little info on the 4 stroke. Wondering if anyone has an opinion or has heard anything related to these motors.

Thanks in advance.

Hookset.

sorry, please forgive the noob for posting in wrong location

Hookset

....I have a 07 Merc efi 75-4 stroke. So far it's been a great motor, no messing around with 2 stroke oil. I looked at the Optimax but with some input from the dealer settled for the 4 stroke, granted it is heavier but it has plenty of get up and go. I don't think I'll be disappointed with my decision.

P.S....Welcome to the board, I moved your post into "General Discussion" where it'll get more attention.

I just went thru this decission Hookset and I went Verado. No great experience based decission...just wanted to be completely away from 2 stroke oil and the storage space the reservoir would have stolen out of my Lund.

Guys gave lots of good reason to go Optimax and they could have been spot on and I hope I didn't make a mistake ignoring them. I also think part of it is more guys have the Opti's to sway the "poll"....as it's $3000+ cheaper for a 225 Opti than a for 225 Verado in a boat package price.

If you go to the old site at http://ontfish.proboards89.com/ and look for my thread Verado vs Optimax or similar title there was a LOT of good advise there.

I'm sure there will be debates on which way to go and without more detail about your boat and what the primary use of your motor will be I'll give you my 2 cents

I have a 1750 crestliner fish hawk with a 115 HP Merc 2 stroke

I've thought about replacing the motor a few times and would go Optimax before 4 stroke. I like speed and power more than trolling and gas efficiency.

Optimax has better specs for top end speed and torque out of the whole

The gas efficiency is quite impressive on the Optimax as well

Check the weight specs as well. Is there a difference in warranty. I thought Merc 4 strokes were standard with 3 year warranty no depreciation

Thanks for moving my post to the correct location Spiel.

Fang - the boat is a Nitro 482 - 18 foot bass boat. I guess that will explain my main fishing style.

Brochures for these motors show only a difference of 1 - 2 m.p.h. so I guess the most relevant info. for me would be reliability.

Thanks for all the replies.

Hookset

I agree with Fang ... it all depends on what you will do with it. I own an Optimax 225 and at this HP level I think 2 strokes are better. But in the 115 HP range, a 4 stroke could be better, especially if you will put in through double duty such as trolling. Fuel consuption at WOT are almost identical, with the Opti doing a bit better, but at slow speeds the 4 stroke wins out. And as Wayne says, the 2 strokes need room for the oil resevoir. Opti's require a bit more maintenance which means added cost but then the 4 stroke costs a bunch more to buy ... a toss up to me. Neiher produces noxious smoke so again, a toss up.

So, now that I've confused you more then before, I'll tell you what I would do. I would opt for the 4 stroke only because I'll assume that will you're not be getting a kicker motor for trolling. The problem with trolling with a 115 is that you may not be happy with the speed, it'll troll too fast. But you can get drift socks to slow you down some and this may solve that problem. The trouble with socks is that it is hard to make turns. Ideally, you should also rig your new boat with a kicker but that adds more dough to the price tag.

I guess I still haven't helped you, sorry. :P

Hookset, just read your latest message. The brochure is, flat out, wrong! The 2 stroke will be significantly faster on a bassboat.

Only thing I can say

The 115,135,150,175 opti are dependable

I use a 150,considering a 4 stroke has not crossed my mind

I run a 4 stroke as a kicker

Some info

http://www.mercmarine.com/optimax2

http://www.mercurymarine.com/fourstrokes

Either way you should be pleased

Make sure you know and understand the nuances of maintenance for both motors

Edited by marc thorpe

I can't help you with the Optimax as I've never used one, but I have an '01 Merc 4 stroke 90 HP, that I bought new and have never had a single problem with, and it gets used ALOT.

I think the 90's & 115's are basically the same motor ??

Very reliable engine, quiet, dependable, and extremely good on gas, especially when only running about 2/3 throttle. It's also nice to be able to troll all day and not worry about fouling the plugs.

Maintanence and winter storage is very simple to do yourself.

I traded in a 90 HP Johnson 2 stroke for this one, and even though the 4 stroke is 85 pounds heavier, I only lost

about 1 mph top end. The 2 strokes are probably a faster hole shot, but that was never a big concern to me personally and I never really noticed that much difference.

The majority of any bassboats will have a 2 stroke motor hanging off it's transom. For torque and speed , it's the way to go and some bass boats are not intended to have the extra weight of a 4 stroke . The main advantages of a 4 stroke are for trolling and no oil reservoir in the boat. I'm running a Merc 250 Opti on my boat and I'm either cruising at 40 mph while play fishing or at WOT and no 4 stroke will touch me there. :lol: You'll get a bit more life out of a 4 stroke as well, but if you up grade a motor evry 5-6 years, it won't make a difference.

I'm not debating...trying to be humourous....Starting to sound like the small block / big block debate from the 70's. Small block would beat me to 1/2 track and then I'd walk right by before the finish line... :P They could never catch me on the highway.

Does a couple seconds on take off change the course of the days fishing? or do the low transom bas boats as you say need the 2 stroke because the 4 strokes weight would sink them? Top end HP for HP isn't going to change anything whether 2 stroke or 4 stroke other than the minor drag added by the engine weight. Almost impossible to test unless you swap motors out on the exact same boat/duplicate fuel load and gear being carried.

If I was equipping a new bass boat I'd opt for the opti. Spend the difference on the best bow-mount setup you can afford. I don't see you benefitting from a four stroke for your style of fishing and it may hurt resale value. Whether it's true or not, four strokes are labled as being non-performers; heavy, slow out of the hole etc. I don't think this is the case in every brand or configuration but the stigma still exists.

-Brian

Hookset

Ran last summer beside 2 other 17-18 ft aluminums Lund and Princecraft.

my 2 stroke just edged out a 4 stroke yamaha (Lund) but we both got left behind by the optimax (Princecraft) off the line and 2-3 miles down the lake.

I was impressed

OPtimax 115 is 375 lbs only - 4 stroke is 399lbs no biggy

One spec I saw was the Optimax has a built in 60 amp altenator pushing 756 watts. Nice for keeping the battery topped up. Lights, livewell, sonar all day. I've run the battery dead once before. Not fun.

The 4 stroke is ony 50amp/630 watt

wouldn't touch either.Evinrude etec is by far the best motor on the market ! 150 hp merc 4stroke 562lbs 150 etec 427 lbs come on now.Etec has a safety feature with the oil intake that allows the engine to run without oil for 7 hours .Emission tested until 2008.Better hole shot faster to plane.Quite as a mouse you won't even know it is running.Can't say i ever remember seeing a Merc not smoke.You poor people who think a merc is better than an evinrude .The only reason mercury does so well is that they own 90% of the boat lines now so of corse you are going to see more mercs because most boat lines are pre rigged with them.Do your homework and you will see for yourself.Just trying to educate the public.My two mechanics (who are both bass pros) won't put anything but an evinrude etec on their boats.Just my opinion !

I'm not debating...trying to be humourous....Starting to sound like the small block / big block debate from the 70's. Small block would beat me to 1/2 track and then I'd walk right by before the finish line... :P They could never catch me on the highway.

Does a couple seconds on take off change the course of the days fishing? or do the low transom bas boats as you say need the 2 stroke because the 4 strokes weight would sink them? Top end HP for HP isn't going to change anything whether 2 stroke or 4 stroke other than the minor drag added by the engine weight. Almost impossible to test unless you swap motors out on the exact same boat/duplicate fuel load and gear being carried.

Most boats aren't built to handle the extra weight of a 4 stroke of comparible HP. The problem lies when you shut the big engine down, the amout of back wash that will hit the boat. You can get around this a bit by giving some gas just as the back wash is about to hit, but you will feel the weight push down on the back of the boat. There are some boat manufacturers that are compensating for this now.

wow...very interesting guys,i was checking and even on WFN..all the wal-mart,guys and all the big pros all use evenrude outboards. and the stats do stack -up i think that the evenrude is a better engine.....but there doesnt seem to be any around here i never see them at all and i do alot of hours...how come they are not around,where would you get them serviced ????lots of pros & cons for sure......

Depends on what you do with your boat.Some folks fish and Ski,tubbing wakeboards.The 2 stroke is great for pulling people out of the hole when waterskiing.Do you really need the quicker lift to get from point A to Point B for fishing........NOT.I have a 50 fourstroke Honda my last boat had a 2 stroke.I will never go back.I have had my four stroke for 3 seasons and still have the same plugs.Ever try and talk to someone when your wide open with a 2 stroke forget it.don't know what song is playing on the stereo.Yes I agree a large 2 stroke will troll slower but it shakes alot.Anything loose in the boat tends to give an annoying rattle.My cousin has an optimax 115 and he prefers to troll with his 9.9 Merc.4 stroke .He does go through more than one set of spark plugs per season.When the plugs need to be changed the boat looses performance and the motor can start Jerking when full throttle. go for the eviroment friendly 4 stroke. :dunno: Gonna be tough for you to decide.

one more thing about the etec no scheduled 20hr inspection.3yrs before you have to bring in for maintenance ,no break in time put in water and go .As far as environmentally friendly your fooling yourself if you think a fourstroke is better.where do you think all the oil that isn't used go IN THE WATER.Maybe you missed the 2008 emition tested part.All the oil in the etec is used for power nothing left to drip into our beautiful lakes.Anybody who thinks a four stroke merc is better than an etec is doing a diservice to themselves as well as our river systems.there is no arguing this guys the facts are the facts.The verado is like an anchor on the back of your boat the thing weighs a tonne !!200 etec blows the Verado out of the water it really isn't even close .Use one compete against guys with the Verado and i always leave them in the dust no questions asked.Oh yeah and don't forget about fuel efficiency.Lets see my $40 to there $135 HHMMMM...... you do the math.Don't be fooled by the masses .Just my opinion