Anyone hoping to be on ice in 2 weeks with the forecast?

Tjames09

8 hours ago, Fish Farmer said:

Next week temps Johnny is in the pluses.

I hope we get out there this year.

Dave, yesterday after we got our 8", -15C and then the south winds off the lake started drifting it I said and I quote "I will embrace the winter this year rather than fight it." Probably because we are flying to Florida at the end of the month and I have an open ticket until March 1st. Tich has 2 weeks off and then flying back. I don't plan on staying too long because I want to open the front door when I return before the locks are changed. Me no stupida. It would be great to get on the lake, it's been years since we had ice here. Buddy built a 5 star ice hotel a few years ago to leave on the ice at St. Williams. Complete with wood stove, solar panels, porta potty, full propane kitchen, bunk bed, 40" HDTV and HD aerial,  no ice since he built it!!

It's still snowing right now and the Lakeshore Rd. here is a mess. I'm trying to stay positive, I'm positive I'm not going out.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

39 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Dave, yesterday after we got our 8", -15C and then the south winds off the lake started drifting it I said and I quote "I will embrace the winter this year rather than fight it." Probably because we are flying to Florida at the end of the month and I have an open ticket until March 1st. Tich has 2 weeks off and then flying back. I don't plan on staying too long because I want to open the front door when I return before the locks are changed. Me no stupida. It would be great to get on the lake, it's been years since we had ice here. Buddy built a 5 star ice hotel a few years ago to leave on the ice at St. Williams. Complete with wood stove, solar panels, porta potty, full propane kitchen, bunk bed, 40" HDTV and HD aerial,  no ice since he built it!!

It's still snowing right now and the Lakeshore Rd. here is a mess. I'm trying to stay positive, I'm positive I'm not going out.

Keeping my fingers crossed Johnny, might get a few St. Williams trips in.

Love ice fishing the bay. Only problem is you get a sore neck looking down the hole:D 

5 hours ago, irishfield said:

Just heard that my neighbour from across the channel on Temagami fell through the ice today trying to walk to my side so I guessing not safe anytime soon. And to think I drove my truck to his island 9 years back to pick him up on Dec 17th!

There were a whole bunch of skidoo tracks on the northeast arm today.  I was on 7+" on a small lake North of Temagami.

41 minutes ago, Joeytier said:

Don't need much ice when ya got er right to bar I guess...I still had to do a double take when I saw that lol

you guys are too much ahahhaha

I had a year is PSSD where I was on a stake lake but I was totally lost and starting to get low on gas...All i knew was that If i continued north Id run into the C104d trail that runs east west...well wouldnt you know it the stakes stopped...pinned it, and started seeing some really bad ice, those are the days you hope your belt doesnt decide to blow.

15 hours ago, irishfield said:

There was ZERO ice on Midland Harbour on Tuesday, with 2 foot waves. Today, 48 hours later, there are three sled tracks ripping past the coal dock for Port !! Darwin awards coming soon....

Had a guy sink his truck a couple of weeks ago when he drove into open water at night.

The spot is known for current and bad ice to all except this mensa candidate. :rolleyes:

25299119_2252423194784007_80917895810174

24991048_2252423191450674_75613436181172

The guy took the red route (bad) VS the green route (good)

25073233_2252422788117381_23430848050120

Then there's this guy that drove onto ice in another current area yesterday.

25348539_2026004357639132_14625379970027

On ‎2017‎-‎12‎-‎13 at 7:48 PM, Fish Farmer said:

I hope I make it up just once bro, going through a few health issues.

No way Dave. I hope you are feeling better soon. We bust our Corleones off for 30 plus years in that place, get out in one or two pieces and then we get old. I didn't take a single pill when I took my pension, now I have a box full. Not fair.

I put a thin layer of water on my daughters ice rink last night.. The temperature was - 15 but since it was snowing it was slushy in the morning.. Once I shoveled it, bang.. Frozen!! Snow has incredible insulating qualities.. 

On 13/12/2017 at 7:48 PM, Fish Farmer said:

I hope I make it up just once bro, going through a few health issues.

Geeze Dave, hope you are feeling better soon.. And I hope the bay freezes this year.. It's a much nicer drive than Simcoe.. 

14 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

No way Dave. I hope you are feeling better soon. We bust our Corleones off for 30 plus years in that place, get out in one or two pieces and then we get old. I didn't take a single pill when I took my pension, now I have a box full. Not fair.

Thanks Johnny, still lots of fish to be caught.

9 hours ago, pics said:

Geeze Dave, hope you are feeling better soon.. And I hope the bay freezes this year.. It's a much nicer drive than Simcoe.. 

Thanks Phil, you got that right, St. Williams this year I hope and as you say the Bay for those Walleye.

It's not looking good for ice at Long Point with this week's forecast.. There's some out there but it will need some time to thicken up.. Snow cover isn't usually a problem due to the wind blowing it away.. . The last good season for ice was the really cold  year we had in 2014? Or was that 15??

Edited by pics

couple folks were out on little lake yesterday when i was driving through barrie...no idea what the ice was like there.

We had 2 inches of solid black ice plus another 2 of grey ice in PAB...ice was a little softer moving out though, but it dropped to -25 over night so things solidified up pretty good. I wouldnt venture very far yet though but it felt great to get out there.

The fishing on the other hand was terrible lol. Not sure whats changed from this year to last? Maybe we are just a bit earlier? But last year the weekend of christmas was one fire...this year we fished all day caught 6 perch and 1 pike...rough go.

first_ice.jpg

Edited by AKRISONER

I was on 4.5" Saturday.  1.5" of black and 3" of fog.

But when we tried to get further out, we lost the top 3", and were left with 1.5" of black.    That's when I turned tail and ran...  back to my 4.5".

4 groups out fishing all day.  And not one single fish caught.  But it was a beautiful day on the ice!