Anyone hoping to be on ice in 2 weeks with the forecast?

Tjames09

55 minutes ago, jerpears1 said:

Simcoe, Cooks and VB will be cutting it close but smaller lakes should be safe very soon.

Hoping to be up in Huntsville or gravenhurst. 

The weather seems cold enough but the amount of snow could make it dangerous and really slow production.

im heading to Pointe Au Baril Friday will be testing the ice right in front of my place in the surival suit, life jacket with a rope tied and two buddies on land to haul my butt out if i go through. 

She froze up last Thursday, but we have had a butload of snow so the ice may be just a pile of slush...We fished last year on 6 inches of slush...it was sketchy as hell lol

We have had a couple of nights down to -23 now though, tonights windchill is -33 so hopefully we get enough to sneak out on.

Safe ice isn't going to happen anytime soon around Midland / Penetang. This is the hood of my plow truck an hour ago... it was clean after I plowed at 4PM yesterday.

The Sound is wide open as of 3pm today.. if it wasn't for the snow I should get the boat down there for Musky on open water! :o

Temagami I have had no report from Neighbours to say it's safe to sled out to the island, but by Christmas we should be good for a trip!

snow18inch.jpg

15 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

im heading to Pointe Au Baril Friday will be testing the ice right in front of my place in the surival suit, life jacket with a rope tied and two buddies on land to haul my butt out if i go through. 

She froze up last Thursday, but we have had a butload of snow so the ice may be just a pile of slush...We fished last year on 6 inches of slush...it was sketchy as hell lol

We have had a couple of nights down to -23 now though, tonights windchill is -33 so hopefully we get enough to sneak out on.

Make sure you don't tie off to the bumper of your vehicle. Someone may get the great idea to go get a coffee in town.

Wayne I thought the 8" we got here last night was too much, that's crazy. More snow last night than all last winter. I think we are in for a Duesenberg this year. I can't wait for the winds to start blowing off the lake.

4 minutes ago, jerpears1 said:

can you let me know if Stucco is safe? Been meaning to fish that lake for years now. Just always forget/Get distracted by Quinte.

nothing will be "safe" yet but there will be opportunities for the careful and brave.

Edited by AKRISONER

51 minutes ago, chris.brock said:

The temperatures are good in cottage country but it's the continual accumulating snow that's not good . The back lake we were at in Haliburton last Saturday had 1 inch of crappy ice, and now there's probably a thick layer of snow on top.

the difference for us was that the lake didnt even freeze up until last thursday, so i didnt expect any ice...theres a thick blanket of snow now but its been -20 every night and -27 last night. Something has to give! if anything I will be out floating on 6 inches of slush like last year lol literally no solid ice at all. we were able to dig through it using the strainer spoon.

Edited by AKRISONER

18 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

If the cold keeps up like last night and today Long Point Bay may even freeze, not in 2 weeks but eventually. I hope so.  The thermometer on the lake side deck says -15C.

Next week temps Johnny is in the pluses.

I hope we get out there this year.

Edited by Fish Farmer

1 hour ago, irishfield said:

Just heard that my neighbour from across the channel on Temagami fell through the ice today trying to walk to my side so I guessing not safe anytime soon. And to think I drove my truck to his island 9 years back to pick him up on Dec 17th!

Thats the year Terry and I ice fished little lake end of November. That was a great ice fishing season. Ice til Mid April.