Johnny's Bass opener

Guest Johnny Bass

Guest Johnny Bass

Went fishing on Saturday to a small lake up north. We've been to this lake before but never this early in the season. Well, the fish were not yet in their summer pattern and we had to go hunt them down.

I caught a few small LM bass on a worm. My first legal bass. Yes I am smiling!

Bassopener001.jpg

And my friend lost a pike on a plastic frog and had one bite him off. After that it went dead. We usually target LM Bass and pike on this lake.

We decided to head for open water. I started pounding Islands with a tube jig and i get a hit!My first tube smallie!!!I was pretty emotional.lol

Bassopener002.jpg

After that I lost a 3 1/2 lb smallie and then a 4 lb largie. I then got bit off by a pike. I put on a fresh sharp jig and tube and that was it for those fish!

Here are a few of decent ones.

Bassopener004.jpg

Bassopener003.jpg

Bassopener005.jpg

Bassopener008.jpg

Bassopener009.jpg

Bassopener006.jpg

The Stradic is a work of art. And perfect for the tubes. The Clarus had enough backbone to set the hook bet too stiff on the battle. I gotta work it in!

The pattern we found the smallies on was deep rocky shorelines . 18 feet was the magic number. Could have caught bass all day if I wanted to.

My friend wasn't having too much luke so he wanted to target pike. The water temperature was 65 degrees which I found strange for a small lake.This lake has hardly no weeds, so its hard looking for pike with no weeds.We casted around. I piked up a few pike on tubes and jerk baits. He picked up a few on crank baits.

Then it went dead. We decided to troll. Yes, troll on bass opener. For quite a few hours too.I didn't mind because I was hoping to get a pickeral.

Plus the winds were bad(25K) and it seemed to be coming from every direction! My buddy said he couldn't fish properly because the boat kept spinning around. I had the same problem on snagmasteral boat too. I was always furthest away from the weedline so I know how he felt but with the wind it was difficult.

He was using a countdown rapala and I was using a walleye diver. We picked up smallies and pike.

Here is a decent one I picked up.I caught it on the BPS musky rod. Its basically like fighting a fish with a stick. Was not impressed......

Bassopener007.jpg

Then the wind died down. I put on my first top water lure. And I start nailing smallies and pike. Though I completly fried my Emblem X reel. Oh well seven years later, though it served me well.

My back was starting to hurt so we called it an early day. All in all it waas another great day. Would have liked to target bass more but I caught quite a bit, even though most were small.

I also lost ANOTHER magic lure casting and snap!!!I also had a fish smack the blade clean off my lure while I was trolling! I also had my worm rod always getting tangled. I had to change the line every hour! I guess the line is very old and kept coiling on me.Fishing is expensive!

We also hit a rock but my proppeler is 100%. Thank GOD!!!!

Long weekend here I come!!!!

Guest Johnny Bass
hey johnny:

seemed to be a pretty productive day out there....

well documented and all...

im quite busy, but one day we must meet up...

heading up north today, havn't decided exactly where yet..

nomad...

Sounds good Nomad. Are we talking for fishing or to see my old lure collection?

Looks like it was bit chili out there LOL(toque and all)

Crazy weather...hot then cold now its getting hot, and back to the cold spell by the end of the week....

Nice to see you got into a few, I have one more week before I get some R&R, and hopefully I'll run into a few bass myself.

Cheers,

Guest Johnny Bass

Thanks guys! Snag, my sister went away this weekend and brought her camera so I was stuck with my cheapo camera. No its not a camera phone. Its a xcargo express. $20.00 special. The problem is that even with new batteries the low battery icon still flashes! :dunno:

The thing that sucked is that I had to troll on Bass opener or I would have caught way more, but my friend wasn't doing too well so I had to accomodate him as well.